News:

• April 25, 2024, 08:03:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2a fun scale?  (Read 856 times)

Dwayne

• Trade Count: (0)
1/2a fun scale?
« on: April 15, 2010, 04:54:53 PM »
Hi all my first post in the scale forum, I just purchased a 21" span Eindecker EIII and plan on powering it with a Testors 049 so is there such a thing as 1/2 a Fun Scale.
Thanks

Online chuck snyder

• Commander
Re: 1/2a fun scale?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 06:16:30 AM »
Dwayne,
I don't know anything about your C/L rules in Canada. I do know that Canadian R/C scale rules are somewhat different than the rules in the USA. There is no special Fun Scale class in the USA for 1/2a, but the model could be entered in the existing Fun Scale class.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 06:45:20 AM »
They had 1/2A Profile Scale in Toronto last year.  It's easy enough to start up a new event if you can get a couple others to support you.

According to my way of thinking, "FUN" scale would only allow true 1/2A's (.049) with two lines and no throttle control.  Fun scale typically goes heavy on flying points and light on static.

The event held out west allows throttled .061's and has progressed well beyond the fun stage.  I'm not trying to attack this very successful event, just pointing out that there's a lot of open country on the low end.
Paul Smith

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 08:01:23 AM »
How about a picture! Was it an ARF or kit or what?  I once had an 80" Eindecker III.  Love the look of the Eindecker
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 09:09:24 AM »
   You might consider a Musciano event as it is full of 1/2A scale models.
Larry

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 10:58:08 AM »
   You might consider a Musciano event as it is full of 1/2A scale models.
Larry
Larry, what a wonderful idea! that should not be so hard to do would it?

Are there any scheduled this year?

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Dwayne

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 12:17:19 PM »
Here ya go guys, it's a kit by Aero Graphics it's the first kit I've bought where I have to cut out all the parts so I'm taking my time, the wood is very good and it comes with all the rigging and decals. It's designed for rubber or co 2 so I'll have to make some changes to convert it to gas C/L but should'nt be a big deal, thanks for the replies I'll keep posting as I go along
Thanks again

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 01:39:55 PM »

(Clip)

The event held out west allows throttled .061's and has progressed well beyond the fun stage.  I'm not trying to attack this very successful event, just pointing out that there's a lot of open country on the low end.

Paul,

Before you get critical about the "event held out west" which in your words "has progressed well beyond the fun stage", you should undersand something about the "event held out west".  You are showing that you choose to understand very little if anything about the 1/2A Multi-Engine Profile Scale contests organized by Mike Keville held in Tucson for the past three years..  There are actually two events at this contest,   One is "unlimited" where flight options can be chosen.  The other is "limited" where there are no flight options.  So one can go as complicated/serious as he chooses, or he can go the ultra simple route.  In either case, I am sure that the participants will describe their activity as fun.

You state you "not trying to attack" this activity, but you still cast disparaging remarks about the contest and apparently do not understand what it is.

What can be wrong with allowing 1cc (.061 cu in) engines?  Except for Brodak, there are no .049 engines readily on the market.  Yet, there are any number of 1cc engines available to the enthusiast.  And of course, there are any number of engines available on eBay.  What has been shown is that for the unlimited event, there is no advantage using the .061 engines over the .049's.  For the limited event, the only practical throttled engines are .061's.

Keith

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 09:44:13 PM »
What Keith said!

Paul, for someone who's never been here, you seem to have a very skewed view of what we offer.  In addition to the (to you) "high tech" Unlimited event featuring throttles and optional ground/flight maneuvers, we do offer the "low tech" Limited event.  Additionally, this year we will offer an award for the best "all sheet" entry --- very decidedly "low tech".

As Keith stated, numerous .061s are currently available -- whereas the Brodak .049 (and limited production Fox .049) engines are the only currently available engines of that displacement.

Our event is definitely a "fun" event --- and any attempt to describe it as anything else is ludicrous.  Again, until you're been here and participated, please reserve judgment before posting disparaging remarks.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 06:39:37 AM »
To repeat, there's nothing wrong with your event.  It's just not a 1/2A Fun event.

An event that is routinely won by an elaborate model powered by 4 cc (.244 cubic inches) of horsepower is not 1/2A, not 1 cc, and not "fun", but rather a high end professional competition. 

Of course there's nothing wrong with any of that, but the field is still wide open for a genuine 1/2A Fun Scale event where a person can simply build a model and power it with one of the countless .049's that are still available.

It's my belief that the word "fun" in Fun Scale is intended to mean a low investment in construction cost and effort and a high emphasis on flying.  Of course to others the word can mean just about anything.  It might mean the fun of winning by outspending everybody else.   That's why Fun Scale would need strict equipment limits.
Paul Smith

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 07:16:50 AM »
     I am sorry that I did not check this chat sooner. Cox are available at a good low price with tanks and without tanks. Cox International has thousands of them, check your vender's corner.
     There Musciano contest in Virginia, Michigan, 2-in California, Canada and hopefully in the UK later this year. You can check this out on my web site from the home page. www.blackhawkmodels.com
     I believe that scale 1/2A should be included in all of these events and I believe that the clubs that sponsor them would welcome the suggestion.
Larry

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 08:58:34 AM »
Righto,

They have 1/2A Profile Scale in Toronto.  I wish I could get the club to publish their rules in writing with some more lead time, so people have time to build the right stuff.

I've supported the Musciano hollow log contests whenever possible and incidentally, Walt sent me a postcard last week.  He had some surgery and is in assisted living now.

Walt designed many, many nice planes 50-60 years ago.  In addition to the Musicano contests, we also need to open up some events so the modelers of today can design their own planes.  Since the days of Scientific, a lot of really nice  airplane prototypes, begging to be modeled, have come into existence.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here