News:

• April 19, 2024, 07:37:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2a AC-119 K "Stinger"  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
1/2a AC-119 K "Stinger"
« on: August 04, 2014, 09:25:31 AM »
   After being a Scale Judge at the Nats for the last 3 years and seeing all those beautiful ships I could'nt resist the temptation to get my feets wet.I have a matching pair of 061s and all the balsa.I looked thru a stack of old Air Trails and found a bunch of 3 views.Settled on the C-119 "Boxcar" and decided to make the later highly modified Vietnam era version after finding lots of info on it.Looks to be well distributed and I am hoping it will balance easily.It will have a 32" span and roughly 150 sq. inch wing area.The Gattling guns (20 MM) and JATO assist under the wings kinda stuck out enough to make me settle on the AC-119K "Stinger" gunship version.Hope to have her ready for the FCM in a few weeks.......Wish me luck!!
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
Re: 1/2a AC-119 K "Stinger"
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 04:33:51 PM »
You go Jeff

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 05:03:37 PM »
C-119 Boxcar would make a great 1/2a scale model, looking in google images there are lots of them out there

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 05:14:11 PM »
   After being a Scale Judge at the Nats for the last 3 years and seeing all those beautiful ships I could'nt resist the temptation to get my feets wet.I have a matching pair of 061s and all the balsa.I looked thru a stack of old Air Trails and found a bunch of 3 views.Settled on the C-119 "Boxcar" and decided to make the later highly modified Vietnam era version after finding lots of info on it.Looks to be well distributed and I am hoping it will balance easily.It will have a 32" span and roughly 150 sq. inch wing area.The Gattling guns (20 MM) and JATO assist under the wings kinda stuck out enough to make me settle on the AC-119K "Stinger" gunship version.Hope to have her ready for the FCM in a few weeks.......Wish me luck!!

Jeff,

Profile or built up?

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 05:21:02 PM »
A good friend in Texas built a 1/2A profile version...finished it as a USMC R4Q, since he's a retired Marine Lt. Col.

With any luck, he'll bring it to our October contest.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 07:25:15 PM »
Charles,It's a built up profile.I suppose the lost balsa method.I had a couple 3 views blew up to the size I need and cut'em up for templates.I traced the outline,cut out the center and filled in with truss braces.Left plenty in the critical areas.I'm gonna skin the booms and center later tonight with 16th.I'm putting carbon veil by the wing and gear attach points in between the skeleton and the skins for added strength.The Gorilla glue talk at the nats got me thinking.A Q-tip applicator w/gorilla sparingly brushed on the center skeleton and apply the skin.Should be very light and strong.Gonna try the finishing resin/toilet paper trick too.See if I paid attention!!
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 08:03:35 PM »
Charles,It's a built up profile.I suppose the lost balsa method.I had a couple 3 views blew up to the size I need and cut'em up for templates.I traced the outline,cut out the center and filled in with truss braces.Left plenty in the critical areas.I'm gonna skin the booms and center later tonight with 16th.I'm putting carbon veil by the wing and gear attach points in between the skeleton and the skins for added strength.The Gorilla glue talk at the nats got me thinking.A Q-tip applicator w/gorilla sparingly brushed on the center skeleton and apply the skin.Should be very light and strong.Gonna try the finishing resin/toilet paper trick too.See if I paid attention!!

Jeff:

Remember that the Gorilla Glue needs moisture to activate. It also needs lots of weight on the skins during the cure to prevent them moving. Gorilla Glue expands as it cures.

Jim Fruit

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 12:34:45 AM »
Hi Jim,
      I spent some time making a small parts press out of Corian and MDF.Started watching a show about WWI and did'nt get much done after that.I made it so I could glue both sides at once but will do the first just 1 side.Once I check the first side for squeeze out I can get a good idea if the glue amount was correct,the rest should go quick.

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 12:01:12 PM »
The airframe is nearing completion and I have a little problem.........wheels.It requires 4-1 1/2" mains and all I have are old Perfect solid,HEAVY wheels.I can get a bunch of light foam 1 1/2" from china a month from now but I need them next week.Any ideas??

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 05:26:50 PM »
The airframe is nearing completion and I have a little problem.........wheels.It requires 4-1 1/2" mains and all I have are old Perfect solid,HEAVY wheels.I can get a bunch of light foam 1 1/2" from china a month from now but I need them next week.Any ideas??

Tower Hobbies

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXB904&P=7   Have em shipped over night $$$$$$
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
Thanx John,
      I found a couple other possibilities on there as well.The weight is not listed but they all have to be lighter the the Perfect set.MAXX products has some very nice machined aluminum hub wheels that are only about 11 gr. per pair but pricey.I'll get it figured out sooner or later.Trax

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 09:22:24 PM »
Thanx John,
      I found a couple other possibilities on there as well.The weight is not listed but they all have to be lighter the the Perfect set.MAXX products has some very nice machined aluminum hub wheels that are only about 11 gr. per pair but pricey.I'll get it figured out sooner or later.Trax

The Dave Brown Lite Flite Wheel are very light.  I put brass tubing in the hub and they roll great.  Scale wise for 1/2A they are ok.  I suspect that you could paint them.  The hub is plastic so some testing may be in order.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 05:26:02 PM »
 Sounds like a cool build idea, where's the photos? ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 08:34:53 PM »
Jeff:

I would like to voice a bit of concern about the Dave Brown Lite Flite wheels, particularly if they might be installed in any sort of wheel pants. Twice now I have I have seen those wheels deform from the heat of the asphalt pits at the Nats and squeeze the pants, not allowing the wheel to turn. The first was my Super Solution. When I throttled up, the plane rolled up on its nose, breaking the motor loose. I could not change the wheels due to my building stupidity. The plane never flew again. I gave it to the EAA museum. The second time was this summer. Grant Heistand's beautiful Spacewalker had those wheels. He had a stand to hold the plane up off of the pavement in the pits, but unknowingly his plane fell off of that stand. The result was that Grant did not realize this and when he tried to taxi the plane for takeoff, it would only tip the nose down. The wheels would not turn. Now, it may well be that in 1/2 A, your plane will be light enough to not compress the wheels in that way. However, I feel that the material that the wheels are made of (a black foam) contributes to the situation. I think that maybe the high heat of the asphalt that the plane is sitting on might contribute to the deformation. Hope this helps.

Jim Fruit

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 11:29:09 AM »
The AC-119K didn't use JATO under the wings, those are J-85 turbine engines. The aircraft needed a little extra power help to fly at the increased weight of all the guns and ammo they carried. The C-123 and Navy P2V also used this  boost idea to help them. The P2v used J34 turbines, the C-123K used the J-85 like the C-119K. They were all run on aviation gas from the main fuel tanks, this was to avoid the chance of getting jet fuel in the piston engine fuel tanks.
                                                                             Mike
mike potter

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 12:00:08 PM »
Building a scale aircraft during stunt season sometimes creates conflict..........especially when you thump no.1 stunter.Got her put back together for the last contest and I have resumed construction of this project.Can't figure out how to get my pics shrunk so I can post them.Hopefully soon.Trax

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 01:20:45 PM »
Do you not have a picture program on your computer.   I get mine down loaded from the camera to the file and then do an edit.   Have to check to make sure you get them below 100mg or mb,  all I know is mine are shrunk to 20% of picture file.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here