News:

• May 06, 2024, 02:59:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Latex paint for scale aircraft.  (Read 1234 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Latex paint for scale aircraft.
« on: May 22, 2011, 09:06:24 PM »
Over on the finishing board Posthole_digger  (Paul) Responded to my request for a how-to paint with latex paint with the following web site:

Go to this site and down the left side for painting with latex.
http://www.vaillyaviation.com/Intro.html

The articles Part 1 & Part 2 are very complete instructions on the use of latex for scale aircraft.  After reading these articles there is no doubt that Roy Vaillancourt knows what he is talking about. And his contest success proves latex is ideal for scale.  The information was so well related to control line scale that I felt it was warrented to present it here on the scale board for those who may not read the finishing board.

I am sure more and more control line aircraft will be electric powered making latex paint even more appreciate.  No fuel proofing required, infinate color selection and cheep (compaired to dope)!

It might be interesting to see if latex would work as an adhesive for Polyspan and silkspan.

H^^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: Latex paint for scale aircraft.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 02:56:50 PM »
I have four models all painted with latex exterior grade house paint. Since these models also are glow powered I followed the paint with a coat of Nelson clear, then decals, then a final coat of clear (with cross linker). The paint works great and Sherwin Williams has been able to mix to my color chips with amazing results.

Give it a try and you won't use expensive model airplane paint again.

Fred C.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 03:20:34 PM »
This scratch built 40" span F6F hellcat was fiberglassed with 3/4 ounce glass, primed with Valspar grey primer (spray can, from lowes) then painted with Sherwin Williams flat latex exterior house paint, then has a coat of nelson clear, decals, then another coat of nelson clear with cross linker. The decals will not stick to flat latex house paint, but does stick to the clear coat.

model uses single channel electronic controls, the battery, on/off and all parts except for the head of the servo is buried inside the fuselage.

Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 02:43:21 PM »
great plane . whats it weigh? and would a could a good gas motor be ? what plans did ya use? are the wings hollow? H^^

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 03:04:33 PM »
I enlarged the Koku-fan 3-view and worked from those general drawings. The plane weighs in at 3 lbs, 11 ounces, but should be much lighter. The short nose moment and big tail meant I had add some nose weight to get the CG right. The wing is solid white foam with balsa skins. I fly the model with an OS-35FP. The plane flies ok but would fly better if it was about 8 ounces lighter.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 11:46:11 AM »
 ??? whats a    koku fan %^@ n~

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 11:49:09 AM »
and did you cut your own foam wing?

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 07:28:39 AM »
There are several sources for 3-views of aircraft, one of them is from Koku-fan from Japan, they probably have the best 3-views available with good line quality and have good outlines that match the photographs of the real airlplanes. I will use a Koku-Fan 3-views over any other 3-view when building a model. Another good source is the Paul Matt 3-views, his drawings were based on actual measurements of real aircraft, his two books are worth gettng. Before buildng a model from a 3-view make sure the 3-view is correct, look at photographs of the real aircraft and ask yourself is this 3-view correct?

As an example there is a 3-view from the 1949 time time frame for the B-29 and the vertical tail is completely wrong, does not even match the photographs of the real aircraft. Remember you can not draw your own 3-view for scale competition, and you must pick a 3-view that best represents the version of your aircraft.

Always get a 3-view that matches your version of the model, if you are building a P-51D, don't show a 3-view of a P-51A or P-51H, they have different outlines.

Get hold of Bob Banka at and ask him if there are any Koku-Fan 3-views for the aircraft you are interested in. Once you see a Koku-Fan 3-view you will understand.

http://www.bobsairdoc.com/

I cut my own foam wings with a very bow that I made myself.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 06:14:07 AM »
Hi Fred, What's the cross linker you mentioned using painting your models?  Thanks, Mike
AMA 59633

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 01:37:23 PM »
Here's one R/C scale warbird I saw on another forum (not quite finished but flyable). The guy cannot work with aggressive chemicals, so he paints his electrics with latex. His building technique is wooden skeletons skinned with foam sheet.

He mentioned that, with latex, he has to keep cleaning his spray gun a lot.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 04:36:08 PM »
The cross linker I made reference to was sold my Nelson model paints but that was before he sold the business. It is a drop that you add to the Nelson clear that makes it fuel proof. I have been told that the cross linker is no longer available thru Nelson but is shows up on the web site. The nelson clear was nothing more than system 3 clear coat, but that would have to be confirmed thru the new owner of Nelson Hobby paints.

here is the link that I found on the internet for cross linker and the clear coat material. I don't use their paint, but I do like the clear coat material and the clear coats with the cross linker have proven to be fuel proof on my glow powered models.

http://www.nelsonhobby.com/hobby_paint.php

Good luck,
Fred C.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 08:30:19 PM »
I got a reply back from the owner of Nelson Hobby Paints and he still has the cross linker.

This is my new Great Planes RV-4 with Latex house paint. The G-CEVC is a vinyl decal, the white on the fuselage and wing were painted on.

Build a paint stand it makes things much easier to deal with. I made this Paint stand with about $15 buck worth of steel pipe and used an old mount for a table saw. This held the entire RV-4 and allowed me to turn it while I painted the entire model without touching the model.

Fred C.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here