News:

• May 01, 2024, 10:23:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: EAA museum accepts my Laird Super Solution  (Read 997 times)

Offline Jim Fruit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
EAA museum accepts my Laird Super Solution
« on: August 10, 2011, 01:00:18 PM »
Yesterday the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) museum accepted my model of the Laird Super Solution for ownership and display. The first of the attached photographs shows Ron Twellman, Curator of Collections for the museum accepting the model on behalf of the EAA. Ron is the good looking guy in the green shirt. The other photographs are just more detail shots of the model. The significance of submitting the model to EAA is that the full size aircraft that I used as the source for static documentation is currently part of the display in the museum. While I have no say, I hope that they find a way to display the model and the full sized airplane together. EAA has developed a world class aircraft museum that is a wonderful source for the scale modeler.

The model is scratch built at a scale of 2-1/2" to the foot. This resulted in a wingspan of 52". The cowling was built of fiberglass. The landing gear was formed of fiberglass and carbon fiber strips. The balance of the model was built conventionally of balsa and fabric covering. The finish is latex house paint. The model was originally started over fifteen years ago as a fueled model. As I finished the model last year, I converted it to all electric. As converted, the model was powered by a Himax HC5018-530 outrunner brushless motor with a Castle Creations Phoenix Hv45 ESC and two 3S Lipo's connected in a series. This was all controlled by one of Clancy Arnold's four channel electronic systems. I used only one of the channels in this model. When I purchased the ESC/motor system, I did not realize there was no BEC in the system. This was no problem because I simply incorporated an on board 4.8 volt battery to power Clancy's decoder.

EAA and AMA have been working together for some time to advance and improve their common interests. I am a member of both organizations. This, and the fact that the model was a replication of the full size airplane already on display in the museum, was why EAA decided to accept the model. Needless to say, I am "bursting my buttons".

Jim Fruit
AMA 509
EAA 156608

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Re: EAA museum accepts my Laird Super Solution
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
Excellent, Jim, a top notch project with a great result.  (You SHOULD be popping your buttons!) y1 #^
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 03:30:15 PM »
That's a nice looking plane -- but the picture's awfully small.  Could you post a bigger one?

For planes that only had one full-size instance each, the Solution and the Super Solution sure have spawned a lot of models.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 04:55:19 PM »
Will: Thanks a bunch.

Tim: The problem is totally mine. I tried to post this yesterday but it turned out that my attached pictures were too big so I got the error message. Clancy Arnold informed me about how to reduce the pictures to the 100Kb maximum required (PIXreduce). Then I tried to attach three pictures via the "attachment" box and I think that the only picture that came through was the last one that I double clicked in the PIXreduce file. I have seen posts where a picture is included that enlarges once it is clicked and then reduces when it is clicked again. Can anyone tell me how to do that? Is it done other than in the "attachment" box? I feel like such a dope.

Jim Fruit

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 06:33:03 PM »
Tim's first rule of software interfaces: if the intended user can't understand the program, it's the program's fault.

And I write software for a good part of my living, so you can believe me.  (Of course, I tick off my colleagues when I quote the above rule, but that's their problem).

Corollary: it's always the confuser's fault.

Just make a picture that fits the file size limit, and the site automatically makes a thumbnail out of it.  For more than one picture click on the "more attachments" link to the right of the "Browse..." button -- you'll get another spot for a file name.  Do that as many times as you need to get all your pictures in.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 07:04:14 PM »
 Congrats! It looks like a very nice model, but I can't see it. :(
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 08:10:17 PM »
Jim
Before posting pictures I resize them to 600 x ??? or ??? x 600 to have them fit a standard monitor screen.

The solution to the problem you had trying to post more than one picture.

1.  Enter text.
2.  Click on "Additional Options"
3.  Click on "Browse"
4.  Select picture from your computer.
5.  Click on "(more attachments)"
6.  Select additional picture from your computer.
7.  Repeat steps 5 and 6 as needed up to ten pictures.
8.  Click "Post"

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 08:13:21 PM »
Tim:

Thanks a bunch. Now that you clarified it for me, attached are a few more pictures of the model. I do not know, however that they will enlarge for better viewing by clicking on the image. Still learning.

JHF

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 08:29:40 PM »
What would I do without friends like Tim and Clancy. I thought that I had to resize the pictures to 100 x ... Hopefully the attached will come through more clearly. Apologies for the fumble fingered approach. Still learning.

JHF

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 08:36:52 PM »
Yay!  Now the challenge is to remember it next time!  Or figure it all out again, since the world will change entirely if you wait too long.

Very nice model.  Very nice pictures.  I'd be jealous, except I know how much work you must have put into that.
AMA 64232

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 07:34:04 AM »
Jim
Great pictures!

Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

An Older Dog,
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 08:50:23 AM »
You finally got it.   Now practice with more pics of your planes.   When I first got on the forums had all kinds of advice.  But the wife showed me the program we have that I wonder why it was so hard at first.  By the way that is one beautiful scale model.

I do three different forums and all three have different requirements.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 09:53:17 AM »
GREAT looking model!  y1

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 03:54:06 PM »
I especially like the prop - a true cherry on the top of a great shake!!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 05:05:08 PM »
I especially like the prop - a true cherry on the top of a great shake!!

Will:

It is amazing what one can do with a little carving and some concentric pieces of PVC plumbing pipe.

Jim Fruit

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 05:48:37 PM »
Having seen this model in person at the Nats this year, the EAA folks should be besides themselves at what they are getting.  Jim's craftsmanship is beyond excellent, and the model is just gorgeous.  I'm just glad he wasn't in Sport Scale.

Heartiest congratulations, Jim

Here's one of my pix:

John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 06:10:55 PM »
Having seen this model in person at the Nats this year, the EAA folks should be besides themselves at what they are getting.  Jim's craftsmanship is beyond excellent, and the model is just gorgeous.  I'm just glad he wasn't in Sport Scale.

Heartiest congratulations, Jim

Here's one of my pix:

Thanks for the kind words, John. Thank you for the picture also. I don't know why but I had not taken any pictures of the model that showed the instrument panel. If one looks closely in your picture, one can see the slide ports for ventilation of the cockpit. The pilot could open these vents, pulling air from outside of the propeller arc and preventing being asphyxiated. I forget the name of the pilot, but he rolled his airplane up in a ball (sort of like I did at the Nats) in front of the crowd because engine exhaust collected in the cockpit and knocked him out. Everything was an experiment back in those days.

Jim Fruit

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 07:04:16 PM »
 Very cool model, and BIG! y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member