News:

• May 02, 2024, 11:18:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kayeff WW2 Zero/ Skyraider/ ME-109 34" full body scale kits  (Read 755 times)

Offline dankar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Kayeff WW2 Zero/ Skyraider/ ME-109 34" full body scale kits
« on: September 27, 2012, 11:03:08 AM »
I bought a Kayeff WW2 Jap Zero kit. It has full body and box says scale model. Kit is old school building but parts are taged and bagged. Anybody ever build one of these as looks like a very nice model. Either scale or possible carrier. Has 34" wingspan so its nice compact model.  I have coming the ME -109/ Skyraider kits coming also. Kits look like from the 50's or 60's.  Wanted to know if anybody ever used any of these kits ??  I may want to part with one or two as also bought Sterling C-9 Corsair for Carrier. Hope someone can shed some light on these kits.  Thank you,Dan  o2oP AP^

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
Re: Kayeff WW2 Zero/ Skyraider/ ME-109 34" full body scale kits
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 06:44:29 PM »
Kayeff and Eureka kits came from Japan in the time frame you mentioned. If you look at some old ads for Polks in NY you might see them listed. They had a number of designs, especially large bombers like the B-50. I may have seen a P2V Neptune once but mostly they show up at MECA Collectos.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 11:08:42 PM »
Checking these kits out and quality seems pretty good. Nice wheels are a good touch.  Would make decent plane for starting a scale model. With electric you might have something here ?

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 12:19:44 PM »
Dr. Ralph Brooke (N.Y.?) imported them, interesting thing about these kits was that most were cut/kitted in the homes of Japanese families after the war.

Polk's hobbies and America's Hobby Center both stocked them, and in 1969, I had the good fortune to fine a whole stock in Oakland, (Hobby Hut, Telegraph Ave.?)

I have an F8F Bearcat, in the familiar heavy brown cardboard carton: It is labeled with 'U-CONTROL', .29-.35;  there were others with the same label, 'U-CONTROL'

Skyraider, P51 Mustang, Corsair, and the multis: B36, Connie, B24, B25, Bamboo bomber. (wish I'd grabbed that one!)

These would build heavy, (I had a Zero, it weighed almost 5 lbs.! But it flew...) the wood is like a 'gummy' basswood, but easy to copy in balsa. It is like buying a kit with patterns for everything.

If it weren't for Keith Trostle's help and Al Rabe's Bearcats, I would have built mine from balsa, and been happy...but thanks to these fine gentlemen, I am now spoiled and know too much! (grin)

But when I find a chance to buy these Japanese kits, I jump at it. They are magnificent in my memory of what truly 'deluxe' kits were.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here