News:

• May 12, 2024, 08:03:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: profile scale question  (Read 1296 times)

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
profile scale question
« on: February 14, 2013, 09:16:45 PM »
this is a simple question that I don't know the answer.

on a profile scale model, is the wingspan reduced by the width of the fuselage?

What  about multi pod airplane like P 38 or a F82?  It could look a little funny.   

What is the right way deal with this? 

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
Re: profile scale question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 09:31:16 PM »
     I just happened to be looking at that very rule at this moment. In the scale rules its on page 9 top/left side. It says the wings can not be shortened the amount of the fuselage width or it will be cause for loss of static points (not quite in those words).  Eric
Eric

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 06:59:58 AM »
It's my understanding that overall diminutions don't change.  You just shrink the fuselage and expose more wing at it's root.  The overall length, height, and wingspan must be correct. Only fuselage width changes.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 06:15:25 PM »
think about something that has complex dihedral  like a corsair ( gull wing) or even a fly baby (flat center section). 

The wing root would be in the wrong place and look funny. 

What do you do with that?
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 08:21:03 PM »
     I guess the quick answer is you follow the rules. Then the long drawn out answer is you pick your plane very carefully. I think when it came down to this part of the profile rule they opted for the present rule that the overall dimensions had to be to the actual scale eventhough on the profile planes some of them will look a little odd. For instance with the Bonanza I just had to build I found out when I got to the main landing gear legs I didn't know where to put them. Do I put them real close together or do I move them further apart so it would look like the full bodied plane? I think thats why when you look at profile scale planes sometimes they look a little off. If I wasn't so darn old I would attend some scale contests (good luck on finding some) and see and questioned just how they do things before I started on a plane of my own.
     I read the rules several times trying to understand the question that you are asking (after I started building) and then asked here and got the same answer plus read the rules and still have trouble believing it but that's the rule and everyone builds by them (I guess). Eric
Eric

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 11:33:30 PM »
    For instance with the Bonanza I just had to build I found out when I got to the main landing gear legs I didn't know where to put them. Do I put them real close together or do I move them further apart so it would look like the full bodied plane?

Eric

Eric,

I will comment on your situation with the landing gear placement on your profile scale Bonanza.  The main landing gear on that airplane is mounted in the wing.  The placement of the gear should have no relationship to the width of the fuselage.

Keith

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 01:14:06 AM »
Of course it would.  The gear would look like it was wider than it is because of the relationship of the full fuse to the thinner profile fuse.  It would end up looking like a drunken cowboy! LOL  OK, not that bad, but you know what I mean! H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 08:32:04 AM »
Profiling is an inherently inaccurate form of scale modeling.   Something has to give when you flatten the body.

On my Sig SPAD XIII upgraded for Fun Scale the landing gear was the biggest challenge.  A fuse-mounted wishbone gear is the worst.  When you flatten the body, the track of the gear gets way too narrow.   Take a look at reality and my best effort at profiling.

The answer is to only model airplanes with wing gears or tricycles.  Then the gear can be where it belongs and have the correct angles.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:18:34 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 10:28:13 AM »
Of course it would.  The gear would look like it was wider than it is because of the relationship of the full fuse to the thinner profile fuse.  It would end up looking like a drunken cowboy! LOL  OK, not that bad, but you know what I mean! H^^

Mr. Reach,

We seem to have a communication problem.  The Bonanza has a tricycle landing gear.  The wing is located at the bottom of the fuselage.  Per the Profile Scale rules, the wing is essentially to be scale as to planform and span.  Each main main landing gear leg is located around 1/4 to 1/3 span from the centerline and somewhere around mid-chord of the wing.  To locate the main gear at a non scale location would really be an unnecessary deviation from scale and if the deviation is significant, then that would be justification for a significant point reduction.  (Any point reduction would be significant if the reason for it could be completely avoided.)  When observed from the bottom of the wing to look at the landing gear, the width of the fuselage above the wing would have little bearing on the appearance of the main landing gear position other than the knowledge that the fuselage is quite narrow which, I am sure you can comprehend, is a requirement for profile scale and overall scale appearance of the model is somewhat diminished because of the profile concept.  I would think the judges would be checking the appearance of the landing gear location in relation to the entire wing and the fact that the fuselage is quite narrow at the LE and TE would not affect the appearance of the landing gear position.  As soon as profile concept is applied to the model design, many things become compromised.  The rules are written such that something on the wing, like engine nacelles are to be positioned relative to the wing planform, not a "scale distance" from the side of the fuselage.  There is an exception to this, however, in that any LE cuffs next to the fuselage should essentially be scale shape relative to their extension from the fuselage side.

Yes, I understand that you are a "sport flier" and not interested in competition.  Maybe I have wrongfully assumed that this profile Bonanza is being planned/built for competition.  If this model is for competition, the scale location of the gear with relation to the entire wing will be important.  If that be the case, there should be no reason to locate the gear in any other position, "drunken cowboys" considered.

Keith

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:44:25 AM by Trostle »

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 10:30:01 AM »
     Glad I'm on the same page with you Keith. I contemplated that for quite a while and then I decided the gear and track should be right, in other words the fuselage is a profile and there for it is only looked at in the profile so its on its own. The landing gear and track is just that and I felt it would have to be just like the scale plane and had nothing to do with the width of a profile fuselage.
     Another thing I'm learning pretty quick is this is my first scale plane and it a "profile" so I'm going to try and relaxe and enjoy the build at least a little. On the "next" one my feet will be a little closer to the fire so to speak. Eric
Eric

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 11:39:56 AM »
Well either way, I am going to agree to disagree with Mr Trostle.  One thing I will agree whole heartedly is, thats a beautiful ship and I hope to see the build here on the forum.  Please? H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 09:18:16 AM »
I am the originator of the Profile Scale rule. Or more correctly the Proposer of the rule as I proposed what Paul Smith suggested for the Profile Scale rule.

The one mistake I made was in the wording.  I said "loss of points" when I meant "Reduction of points."  The common complaint is that you cannot build a model of a "Bent Wing" airplane per these rules.  

Look at the two pictures attached.  A Corsair and a Caribou, two bent wing airplanes and how they should be treated per the rule.  On the Corsair the only obvious change is how high on the side of the Profile Fuselage the wings contact the fuselage.  On the Caribou the engine Nacelles are mounted at 90 degree to the inner wing panel and therefore are not at 90 degrees to the ground.  The outer wing panels start just outboard of the engine nacelles on the real airplane.

Clancy
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 09:37:48 AM by Clancy Arnold »
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Howard Olson

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 03:25:19 PM »
   I know this subject has probably been beat to death before, but how was the conclusion reached not to eliminate the portion of the wing that would otherwise be enclosed in or on top of, below, etc the fuselage on profiles.  Profile is already pretty subjective and if the purpose of scale is to build models that appear as much as possible, like the prototype aircraft, doesn't building the wing to include the center section shoot that in the foot?  Not only is this a problem on gull wing and multi boom aircraft, but it also makes the overall model appear much less faithful to the original in that any scale details on the wings will be further from the fuselage sides and items such as struts will be at a significantly altered angle if they are attatched to the wing and fuselage in a dimensionally correct location.  I would also think that this would diminish the number of scale subjects that builders would choose from as one of their big concearns is going to become " can I build this model without it looking weird".  The fuselage width  has already been eliminated on a profile, (decidedly unscle and innacurate demensionally) why hold on to that section of the wing?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 11:46:29 AM »
Do the judges actually measure this stuff or is it by eyeball according to 3 views?    If it looks scale to you, go with it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 06:03:16 PM »
Do the judges actually measure this stuff or is it by eyeball according to 3 views?    If it looks scale to you, go with it.

Profile is judged statically at fifteen feet.

Jim Fruit

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 08:24:53 PM »
Wow, I don't think I like the last two replies. First I hear what Howard is saying and struggled with that until Kieth T gave me a very good reply. The rule is the rule and if it looks really good the chances are there that the rule was not followed. If you follow the rules and the planes looks like the wing is long and skinny and the fuselage looks a little funny hooked onto the wings the rules were probably followed is my feeling. If I were to go to a contest and compete with my rule built plane that looks a little off and I got beat buy a "like" plane that looked really nice I would have to ask the judges for a measurement of the winning plane to verify that it was built to the rules and would hope that everyone involved would understand and be comfortable with my request.  Eric
Eric

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 01:29:08 AM »

(Clip)

If I were to go to a contest and compete with my rule built plane that looks a little off and I got beat buy a "like" plane that looked really nice I would have to ask the judges for a measurement of the winning plane to verify that it was built to the rules and would hope that everyone involved would understand and be comfortable with my request.  Eric

Oops!!  Eric, you are venturing into a "sensitive" area.  First off, the AMA profile scale rules provide that the appearance/fidelity to scale judging is done in the same manner as the sport scale event -- from a distance of something like 10 or 15 feet.  Measurements are not taken.  In fact, even in precision scale, the "scale ruler" that translates measurements from the required 3-views to those of the model is no longer required.  So, even in the precision scale events, the appearance/fidelity to scale dimensions is a matter of "eyeball observations".  I do not think I have seen judges use tape measures or rulers at a scale contest of any kind for years.  You are essentially outlining a situation where you are protesting the judges' subjective scoring of the model.  I cannot see how any subjective score in a scale event could be protested.  (Same thing regarding the subjective score of a maneuver in the stunt event - protesting a stunt maneuver subjective score is just not done.)  I think that any CD or ED would rule against any protest of any subjective score in these toy airplane contests of ours, the available appeal procedures notwithstanding.  Oh, I guess you could request measurements of some kind to be taken, but to what standard?  Such a request, even if not a formal protest, probably would not be "warmly received" by the CD/ED or the judges.

In the scenario you describe, what would you be asking the judges to measure and to what standard were they to use?  I think it would be rather awkward to ask for measurements to be made when the rules do not specify any measurements to be taken.  As a judge or CD or ED, I would be a bit perplexed on what to do or how to proceed or what to determine whatever the outcome would be or mean.

Perhaps a more satisfying alternative would be to draft a rules change that clearly delineates how certain dichotomies in the profile rules should be clarified and written.  Sounds easy to do doesn't it?  It will be easy until you start putting words that clearly explains what you are trying to do into a formal change proposal.  Our profile scale rules have created flying anachronisms.

Keith
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:00:59 PM by Trostle »

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 09:32:27 AM »
1. Read the rules.
2. Build as best as you can - keeping the rules in mind.
3. Bring your work of art to a scale contest.  The good Lord knows we can use more contestants at scale meets.
4. Fly your best and hope for the best.
5. Remember that this is a hobby not a way to earn a living - keep a light heart and have fun.
6. If you don't like how the judges treat you become a judge. You will soon learn that they have a tough job that for the most part they do well!

I have attended 4 scale contests in the last 4 years.  I have finished as high as first and as low as DNF.  Every contest was fun and fair.  My most prized finish was a 2nd finish at FCM.  The ship that came in first was clearly the better airplane.  I hope to go to at least one contest this summer. Winning is not the gold (although winning is fun). Good food, good people and seeing what others have built is the fun!!!

If you ain't having fun stay home!
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 03:13:07 PM »
Just to put the "measurement" thing to rest, it is specifically forbidden in the rules for all scale events.  It used to happen, but not any more.  15 feet is it, and I assure you, until someone puts a proposal through that I'm unaware of at this time, 15 feet it will stay.

Now, as to the philosophy of the profile event, I'm greatly outnumbered, but I agree with the gentleman above, don't remember who it was, that to reduce the wingspan by the amount the fuse' was reduced would make a much better looking model, and, at least in my opinion, make a bunch more sense.

As a judge, I bite my tongue every time profile comes around because of some of the gosh-awful looking top views I have to look at.  Sorry Clancy, my friend, we're totally in opposition here on that one.  Hasn't happened very often though, has it?
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 06:23:38 AM »
There is no perfect solution for Profile Scale.  It's a simple event, not exact scale, and never can be. 

1) If you reduce the wingspan by the amount the fuselage is thinned, then the wingspan is out of proportion to the fuselage length in the top view.
2) If you leave the wingspan the scale length, then it can look odd in the front view.

You are not going to find the perfect answer.  So do what looks best to you.  The rules provide guidelines on how the event should be judged, but don't forget that in the end this is a subjectively judged event, which means the model with the best scale "illusion" (it looks good) will probably get the best score. 

If I were scratch building a profile scale model, I would sketch out both options, and probably hit a compromise in the middle. 

Create the best illusion you can and have fun.  If you are hung up on winning at all costs with a by-the-numbers scale model, then step up to sport, designer, or FAI scale. 

Mike

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 06:44:08 AM »
Wow, Mike, that is very well said!  I like it.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 10:43:51 PM »
Wow, Mike, that is very well said!  I like it.

I second the motion!
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 08:30:47 AM »
Mike
You get my vote!

When I have Static Judged Profile Scale I ignore the body when looking at the front view.  I try to estimate the spacing between features on the three views and then look at the model to see if they are the same ratio.

Example:  The landing gear spacing: on the three views the gear spacing looks about 20% of the wing span, then is the gear spacing about 20% of the wing span on the model?  Yes or No?  If not then how much off scale / deduction small or large?

Before you complain offer to help Static Judge at a contest!  After the first time I static judged at a contest my static scores improved because I began to understand what the judges look for on my models.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here