News:

• April 16, 2024, 09:57:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1000 aircraft photos  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
1000 aircraft photos
« on: October 14, 2007, 12:30:42 PM »

if you don't see it here it does not exist!

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/Shumaker/2427L.jpg

Tom Wilk H^^

Offline Lee Thiel

• Commander
Re: 1000 aircraft photos
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 07:56:38 PM »
Try this link and you will get the main index.  http://1000aircraftphotos.com   The other just showed that cool Staggerwing.  Thanks Thomas, that will keep me busy for a while. y1
Lee TGD
AMA791773CD

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 09:41:46 AM »
The wife says I spend too  much time on the computor now and you do this to me.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 11:09:09 PM »
Tom,
Nice Staggerwing shot. here is a picture of it at the Staggerwing Museum in Tullahoma, TN.
Chris...

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 10:50:27 AM »
Tom,
Nice Staggerwing shot. here is a picture of it at the Staggerwing Museum in Tullahoma, TN.
Chris...
Wow! Chris...Beautiful plane huh?  In the early 70's during a control line demo day at Renton Field during a local airshow, we were invited to fly on one area of the Tarmac.

ANY OF YOU FELLOW MODELERS REMEMBER THIS EVENT?
 Right next to us was this beautiful Stagger Wing who was performing his engine warm up...
and after a really quick pre-flight check...the pilot entered the main runway...shoved the throttle foward....made its take off run and just as it was beginning to tuck the main wheels up and almost at the sound end of the runway-------HIS ENGINE QUIT! DEAD COLD.

He was flying at considerable speed at the time but due to a large crowd of spectators....he kept the plane quite low, just "above tree top level.

What happened next was so quick but I can still see that beautiful plane as the pilot quickly snapped that airplane into a quick full top view, flippin-turn back toward the same runway that he had just taken off from.  He just barely cleared that crash-fence at the south end of the runway as he actually managed to put that big beauty onto the main landing gear for a very hard landing near the center of the end of the runway.
However....the aft end wouldn't come down. That beautifully painted engine cowling became part of a highly improvised 3 point landing... The NOSE COWLING- AND THE MAIN LANDING GEAR. After leaving a trail of showing sparks and smoke...He opened the door, hoppedout and waved to a crowd of "EYE POPPIN SPECTATORS" who gave a cheer.

Although the plane suffered some considerable pavement rash to the cowling, bent prop, and damage to the landing gear of that beautiful Staggerwing................

CHRIS...I KEEP THINKING? I was surprised that with such low altitude...and a dead stick engine...WHY HE DECIDED ON A QUICK 180o TURN BACK TO THE RUNWAY????

However...when you see how many buildings, homes, obstructions past the south end of the Renton field, I am sure HE DIDN'T HAVE MANY OPTIONS? My conclusion is that he was one very very lucky human being that day? y1 y1 y1 H^^

Don Shultz

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 05:01:37 PM »
Dad and I went through a lot of 180 degree turn excercises in various airplanes and found that it CAN be done after a power loss at low level and low speed, but it is better at higher altitudes and higher speeds, as most would figure!

This guy was lucky, but he quickly accessed his options and attempted his best option, and survived. The fact he did it, and was able to complete the manevuer while getting the gear back down (which takes FOREVER on a 12 volt airplane) makes him a qualified "SkyGod".

I have a friend that built and flew a very famous Mustang racer and he would use near race power for take off because he wanted to accelerate to 250 mph by the end of the runway so he could hammerhead it back to the runway in case of engine failure! I asked him if he ever saw 250 by the end of the runway at Chino, which is about 6000 feet long and he replied "damn close"!

Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here