News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:39:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: .027 flying lines - Where to you buy your Bulk line material?  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
.027 flying lines - Where to you buy your Bulk line material?
« on: December 22, 2014, 06:44:53 AM »
Ok now that the New CL scale rules are on the AMA website here is the question....where can we get .027 dia flying lines in bulk (300' or longer rolls)

Here are the new rules - https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2015-2016CLScale.pdf

mbsmodelsupply does a great job but only offers the .027 in 100' lengths mostly because the this normally used as leadout material instead the flying lines.

http://www.mbsmodelsupply.com/Catalog.pdf

Brodak sells the lines ready to crimp the ends, he also sells the .024 3-line sets ready to crimp for the models that weigh 12 lbs or more

http://brodak.com/control-line-parts/control-lines/027-x-2-x-70.html

I have found two other sources

Fly-by-wire sells the .027 on E-bay in 1000' foot rolls

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fly-By-Wire-Control-Line-Airplane-Wire-1000-FT-027-bright-7-strand-wire-135-/110912921071?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item19d2ecddef

I have also found this line on McMaster Carr  - has anybody tried any of this for our purpose?, click the link for Type 302 & 304 wire

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-wire-rope/=v4tlkc

Thanks,
Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
Re: .027 flying lines - Where to you buy your Bulk line material?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 10:44:23 AM »
In the past I have used Malin Co. located in Cleveland, OH. They supply all manner of wire for a variety of applications.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 11:22:23 AM »
mbsmodelsupply does a great job but only offers the .027 in 100' lengths mostly because the this normally used as leadout material instead the flying lines.

http://www.mbsmodelsupply.com/Catalog.pdf

MBS is one (very nice) guy working out of his house -- it might be worth a call to him to see if he's interested in stocking the longer stuff.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 05:07:26 PM »
I have used the "wire rope" from McMaster. It works fine. I quit buying there when they raised their price to exorbitant levels. It used to be about 3 cents per foot.
Chuck

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 06:33:53 PM »
Has anyone tried Netcraft out of Toledo!  They used to stock this stuff in bulk, but I've not been there for a couple hundred years.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 09:34:05 AM »
With the new line size chart in mind, should someone offer ready made lines (sizes larger the.018) at the Nats? This way if someone fails the line size requirements for their size airplane, they would be available and they would be able to purchase them and still fly. I am thinking of Tom Morris who could make some up for us. Most coments welcome, yes or no will do.

Blessings
Allen

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 10:50:58 AM »
There has been a set of three .027" Brodak lines hanging on the wall at The Prop Shop in Centerline Michigan for several years.  They do mail order business.  According to the new rules you only need .027's for very heavy two line models.  They've gone down to .024" for three-liners.

I weight about 200 pounds.  I have no need for a set of lines that can lift 250 pounds. Furthermore, after having a commercially made "heavy duty" three line bellcrank come apart at less than 60 pounds of pull, I don't know what I would connect a set three .024's onto.   

Paul Smith

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 10:56:28 AM »
I am going to have a large roll of bulk line material available at the Nats, I can roll a set of lines for the 2-line planes fairly quickly. The 3-line systems are a bigger challenge.

With the exception of the very light models almost everyone will have to roll a new set of lines

If you fly a model that weighs 12 lbs or more with two lines you will need .027 and they need to be 65 to 70 feet long.

Also check the length of your lines the larger models require 65 to 70 foot lines

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 02:46:02 PM »
Thanks Fred, I would not want anyone to miss out competing at the Nats because of the new line rule changes.
To bad we can't get the word out to everyone on the new rules. As you know not everyone has or wants computer
access.
I will send a memo to Yolanda and she will send it out with all pre-registration information as per the new rules.
That should help. Later.
Blessings
Allen

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 06:34:09 PM »
What do you guys use for a bellcrank in these larger models that weigh in around 12 pounds. Will a Sig nylon unit be heavy enough, or do you use something stronger. I just cannot imagine that a 3 line bellcrank would be heavy enough. My plane will probably never be entered in competition.
Jim Kraft

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 07:18:37 PM »
I haven't flown with a 3-line bellcrank since 1991, for the larger models I put the Brodak 4" bellcrank on the model and then install the 2.4 Ghz controls. I know some folks have had the rivets break on the 3-line bellcranks during pull test. You could pull test the bellcrank before you install it into a model to see if it's up to the task.

http://brodak.com/control-line-parts/bellcranks/brodak-6.html

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 08:59:25 PM »
     I've been flying the carrier events sense 1992 and have seen quite a bit of these planes pulled at 90+ pounds and have never seen a 3-wire bell crank break. So if your plane doesn't weigh more than 20 pounds I don't see a problem. If it does weigh more than 20 pounds you or anyone else probably shouldn't be flying it on wires anyway (my thoughts). Eric
Eric

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here