News:
2018----><---- T Shirt

• December 16, 2018, 09:31:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Potential rule change -Skill Class score ranges  (Read 5585 times)

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: Potential rule change -Skill Class score ranges
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2018, 07:39:59 AM »
      I am not going to pursue anything any further. I am surprised at how little people are concerned about the entire concept of skill classes, which are quite obviously broken across the board. But it doesn't directly affect me, and the people who might benefit (who will probably not try to fix it themselves, precisely because they will benefit and don't want to be seen as being self-serving) don't seem to care, either.

BTW, note this thread from 16 years ago, where I first posited the idea:

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=19849&mesg_id=19849&listing_type=search

It has only gotten more broken since then.

Brett
Perhaps I should have explained my observation by stating that it only applies to our local area.  Around here we rarely ever discuss skill classes and I have never heard anyone question anyone's class.  There are a couple of us older fliers who still fly expert who were once much consistent than we are now.  I can only speak for myself but I would never move down just to win and I don't hear any of the others wanting to move down either.  However, it would be nice if the option was there. 

Having said that, I do feel that the system could use improvement but I just don't see the support for doing it.

Ken
AMA 15382

If it is not broke, don't fix it.

Online phil c

• Admiral
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2018, 01:18:43 PM »

A similar process could be applicable and applied to precision aerobatics. For golf, an index is developed by using the top 10 scores of the last 20 rounds of golf. From that an "average" is obtained and used to establish a handicap index, which determines what flight or division they could compete in.

Perhaps for precision aerobatics, the top 5 scores out of the last 10 contest could be used to establish a "stunt index" that would be used to place an individual into a class.

Dennis

Dennis, the skill class rules are pretty clear cut.  When you first start going to contests you can pick any class.  If the CD thinks you belong in a higher class he can tell you so.  Otherwise, it's your decision.  Usually if you start placing in the top three in your class with scores near first place and do that pretty consistently over at least one season it is time to move up.

The golf idea is intriguing, but in PA we have to deal with scores in each class and at each contest that can have a 100pt+ spreads.  It varies by time, location, and contest.  Unlike golf where it is pretty easy to count strokes, trying to average PA scores would be fairly meaningless since most flyers only compete in a fairly local area and the scores may not line up nicely with any other area.  The real experts will generally always score high, the true entry level intermediates will generally score pretty low, but in between the scores can be all over the place.  How you score in Lake City, Somewhere is not likely to indicate how well you'd do at the Nationals, especially in expert, or the AMA age-class competition.
phil Cartier

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 2018 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2018, 03:44:46 PM »
OK, I lied.  I do have one more question.  I am comfortable with the 2200 vs the 2800 battery simply from flying them interchangeably and the only thing that changes is the utilization.  So, the next thing that came up today was that it is time to order batteries for my PA under construction that will be using a Cobra 3520/14.  It is rated for 3s to 6s batteries and has a Max Continuous current of 46 Amps.  I would like to use 4S batteries for size reasons.  A 5 would have to go in funny and a 6 would require surgery.  The batteries I found have a 45C rating.  I have a Castle 50 (not the lite version) for my ESC.  Am I cutting the safety margin too close?  If I understand all of this, the ESC acts as a buffer between the engine and battery so the 46 Amps on the motor is not the issue.  Is the 50Amps on the ESC too small for a 45C battery?  I have been conditioned to look for 30 to 35 on the "C" value.  Also, if the Motor can only take 46 Amps is there any value to going to the Castle 75?

Thanks - Ken
AMA 15382

If it is not broke, don't fix it.

Tags: