News:

• October 22, 2018, 08:08:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Model markings  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Model markings
« on: February 03, 2018, 12:28:33 PM »
Hello,

Let's say I compete in Poland and elsewhere in Europe with the model having POL XXXX markings, representing my FAI license number assigned via Polish Aero-Club.

Will this model with this FAI number be accepted to enter the stunt competitions in Canada and the USA or I need to add, say, my MAAC number somewhere on the model?

In my understanding, FAI number is enough as it is recognized worldwide by the Aero-Clubs of all countries that belong to FAI.

Thank you,
Matt

Offline Paul Smith

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Model markings
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 08:18:51 AM »
I have not experienced any enforcement of AMA/MAAC numbering in recent decades. 

With the almost-universal abolition of the BOM, models are openly bought, shared, and borrowed during contests.
Paul Smith

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 11:36:30 AM »
Yes, if you participe an FAI event of 1st or 2nd category (world champs or world cup). But do they exist in f2b in US? I'm only aware of a WC racing event.
When I come to US for free flight contests (on Thursday! :) I need to join AMA, I guess that's because of some insurance stuff. I don't fully understand it as I fly in many countries and everywhere else my NAC membership and insurance is enough. But I'm not too interested to find out the whole story.
Maybe Bill L. or Norm F. could explain it..?

Lauri

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 11:38:41 AM »
I have not experienced any enforcement of AMA/MAAC numbering in recent decades. 

With the almost-universal abolition of the BOM, models are openly bought, shared, and borrowed during contests.

On the first, I haven't seen anyone ignore this in a stunt contest, and I probably go to more of them than most people.

On the second, borrowed/bought/shared airplanes have been legal in most stunt contests since about 1974. The BOM applies in that you have to have built the airplane to get appearance points, otherwise, you can still fly it anyway, just no appearance points.

Brett

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 11:48:27 AM »
Yes, if you participe an FAI event of 1st or 2nd category (world champs or world cup). But do they exist in f2b in US? I'm only aware of a WC racing event.
When I come to US for free flight contests (on Thursday! :) I need to join AMA, I guess that's because of some insurance stuff. I don't fully understand it as I fly in many countries and everywhere else my NAC membership and insurance is enough. But I'm not too interested to find out the whole story.
Maybe Bill L. or Norm F. could explain it..?

I have never heard of anything like FAI-supplied insurance, so I don't know about that. I have never heard of anyone attempting to enter an AMA-sanctioned contest with *only* an FAI sporting license. If there was insurance associated with it, I could at least see how it could work, but if I had to guess, an FAI sporting license probably doesn't count for anything to the AMA. To be honest, I don't even know who you would ask at AMA HQ any more.

The real issue is showing up at a local contest and trying to use the FAI sporting license alone. Most CDs (although not all) are aware of the existence of the FAI, but I expect they would have the same problem I am having - they don't know if its OK or not.

In Matt's case, he should definitely use his MAAC number and MAAC license, since we know that is OK. For others, I really don't know.

Brett

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 12:48:30 PM »
I mean the insurance that comes with my NAC membership, not fai licence.. L

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 01:04:09 PM »
I mean the insurance that comes with my NAC membership, not fai licence.. L

I just don't know.

Brett

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 08:05:58 PM »
FWIW. MAAC and AMA have a long standing reciprocal arrangement regarding insurance.

Could be that Lauiri's NAC has similar arrangements with other European NACs, but not with AMA (or MAAC)
MAAC 8177

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 08:09:40 PM »
FWIW. MAAC and AMA have a long standing reciprocal arrangement regarding insurance.

Could be that Lauiri's NAC has similar arrangements with other European NACs, but not with AMA (or MAAC)

I am actually kind of curious about this, since I don't know, but I also don't know who to call any more at the AMA.

Brett

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 08:21:43 PM »
It was easy to find the relevant document on the MAAC web site :)

(It was too big to post  :(, but it can be found here:  https://www.maac.ca/en/documents.php)

edit - it is also on the AMA web site, document 500B
http://www.modelaircraft.org/documents.aspx

direct link
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/AMAMAAC.pdf

MAAC 8177

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 08:23:59 PM »
It was easy to find the relevant document on the MAAC web site :)

I and everybody else knows about that one, we love our hose-heads from the 51st state. I refer to other NACs, like Poland.

Brett

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 08:35:06 PM »
I think that the specific inclusion of this agreement implies the exclusion of other ones :)
MAAC 8177

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 07:49:05 PM »
"Will this model with this FAI number be accepted to enter the stunt competitions in Canada and the USA or I need to add, say, my MAAC number somewhere on the model?"

Yes indeed. But not just "somewhere". The AMA rules are specific about where and how tall the numbers need to be. Easy enough to look up the answers. MAAC probably has similar answers on your website? I'm not really experienced with MAAC rules and regs, because the contests I've been to in BC and AB all used AMA rules, except for one year where a variation of the French scoring system was used, minus the K-factor cat crap.   VD~ Steve
In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.

In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General Mattis.

Tags: