News:
Support----><----Support

Advertise Here

• August 20, 2019, 12:28:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Junior rules?  (Read 355 times)

Offline Mike Alimov

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Junior rules?
« on: June 08, 2019, 10:45:00 AM »
What are the rules around selecting a junior for the US F2B team? Do they need to be a Nats winner? Age ? Do they need to participate in the team trials?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Junior rules?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 11:18:24 AM »
Read da rules.  I could be wrong (someone will jump in and correct me if I am), but:

A competitor is considered to be a junior up to and including the calendar year in which he attains the age of 18, or 21 in the case of F2. See the table below. All other competitors are classed as seniors.

I believe (I'm not going to dig through the rules to know) that each country gets to decide who goes, and in the US that's by competing in the team trials.  In theory you could make the team without ever having participated at the Nats.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Trostle

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 11:20:17 AM »
What are the rules around selecting a junior for the US F2B team? Do they need to be a Nats winner? Age ? Do they need to participate in the team trials?

I am not trying to speak for Randy Smith who is the chairman of our F2B Team Selection Committee.  He may wish to add to the following comments.

From the FAI rules:  "A competitor is considered to be a junior up to and including the calendar year in which he attains the age of 18."

No one needs to be "a Nats winner" to be on the US F2B team.

For F2B, "A National team ... may consist of four individual competitors ... as a maximum provided that the fourth competitor is [a] junior ..."

The United States Team is selected at the F2B Team Trials which means that any potential junior team member would have to participate in that Team Trials and would compete against any other junior that might be entered in that Team Trials to be selected as the junior member on the US Team.  The junior flyers would fly in the same rounds as the senior flyers, the highest scoring junior would become a team member.  That potentially eligible junior team member would/should still be required to demonstrate a reasonable level of competency to perform the F2B stunt pattern.

Keith

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 01:58:37 PM »
There was a proposal to raise the age to 21 for F2 events, I seem to recall it passed but can't find confirmation.
Agenda item C.5.1:
c) C.5.1 Competitor F2 Subcommittee, Poland
Amend the first paragraph as follows:
A competitor is considered to be a junior up to and including the calendar year in
which he attains the age of 18, except for F2 where the age shall be 21. All other
competitors are classed as Seniors.
Reason: F2 classes are both complex and physically demanding. In 3 of the 4
classes young people are unable to be competitive against senior pilots until after
the age of 18 yrs. Once reaching the age of 18 many good juniors are lost to F2
because they can no longer be competitive.
Reasoning given by Poland:
F2 classes are both complex and physically demanding. Young people are unable to
be competitive against senior pilots until after the age of 18 yrs. Once reaching the
age of 18 many good juniors are lost to F2 because they can no longer be
competitive.
https://www.fai.org/sites/default/files/documents/ciam_2018_plenary_agenda_0.pdf
MAAC 8177

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 02:09:28 PM »
Confirmed on the FAI web site, the age is now 21 for F2 classes

https://www.fai.org/sites/default/files/documents/sc4_vol_ciam_general_rules_19v2_0.pdf

C.5 COMPETITORS, TEAM MANAGER AND NATIONAL TEAM
C.5.1 Competitor
A competitor is considered to be a junior up to and including the calendar year in which he attains the age of 18, or 21 in the case of F2. See the table below. All other competitors are classed as seniors.
MAAC 8177

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 03:55:56 PM »
Confirmed on the FAI web site, the age is now 21 for F2 classes

Validation that it's a geezer sport?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Trostle

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 04:59:50 PM »
Validation that it's a geezer sport?

Not really.  The junior member of the Chinese team placed 15th overall in F2B at the 2018 World Championships in Landres.

Keith

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 05:19:45 PM »
I think F2D has been won by a junior. Certainly they have placed on the podium more than once.

Only event that I can think of where they are disadvantaged would perhaps be F2C, so I don't get why they say three out of the four they are.

In any case, the rule change passed.
MAAC 8177

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 12:40:08 PM »
Hi, Keith...

Is a "reigning world Champion" still allowed entry regardless of National Team? (We've had years where our team had the permitted three, plus the winner of the previous F2B WC.) I don't think we had provision for Junior Members then.
\BEST\LOU

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 02:59:40 PM »
Yes.

C.5.3 National team for World and Continental Championships
a) A national team shall consist of a maximum of three individual competitors, or three pairs of competitors, for each category and a team manager.
b) For those categories that do not have separate junior championships, the team may consist of a maximum of four individual competitors or four pairs of competitors for each category provided that the fourth competitor is a junior, plus a team manager.
c) The reigning World or Continental Champion has the right (subject to the approval of his National Airsports Control) to participate in the next World or Continental Championships in that category regardless of whether he qualifies for the national team or not. If he is not a member of the national team, his score will not be considered in the team results.
d) The reigning Junior World or Junior Continental Champion has the right (subject to the approval of his National Airsports Control) to participate in the next World or Continental Championships in that category regardless of whether he qualifies for the national team or not, and provided that he will still be a junior pilot when the next World or Continental Championships are held. If he is not a member of the national team, his score will not be considered in the team results.
e) Any Junior World or Continental Champion who will be too old to defend his title at the next Junior World or Continental Championships is entitled to fly in the appropriate Senior World or Continental Championship for the concerned class, within the three calendar years following his becoming Junior World or Continental Champion.
MAAC 8177

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here