News:

• October 22, 2018, 08:07:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FAI implements a new rule for own built F2B models  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Peter Germann

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
FAI implements a new rule for own built F2B models
« on: April 30, 2018, 07:56:31 AM »
Following an extensive consulting process involving the 54 members of the F2B Working Group:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/F2BGroup/info

FAI/CIAM has now adopted a rule recognizing and rewarding those flyers competing in World- and Continental Championships with self built airplanes. The rule as attached will be set in force by January 1st 2019.

With many thanks to those who have contributed,

respectfully, Peter Germann
Peter Germann

Offline peabody

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: FAI implements a new rule for own built F2B models
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08:41:14 AM »
Very nice Peter....!

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 01:52:07 PM »
Hopefully, Appearance Points will come in due time?  S?P Steve
In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.

In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General Mattis.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 03:28:06 PM »
Hopefully, Appearance Points will come in due time?  S?P Steve

We'll see, for all intents and purposes, this makes the BOM mandatory in order to have a chance at winning (since you can't afford to give up the 10 point - which is more than the typical range of appearance points from the likely winners at the NATs).

Brett

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 06:07:13 PM »
Only problem, Brett, is that at the last minute, in the smoke-filled back room at the FAI meetings, the flight points were taken out. That meeting, only attended by a very few, mostly non-F2B folks, probably all from western Europe, effectively thwarted what the F2B working group suggested, and which was accepted by the ENTIRE F2 Technical Committee.

The FAI rule-making process is BROKEN! It will NEVER represent the will of the competitors but only a very small group who can afford to make it to Lausanne and join in the back-room negotiating.
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 08:23:23 PM »
Only problem, Brett, is that at the last minute, in the smoke-filled back room at the FAI meetings, the flight points were taken out. That meeting, only attended by a very few, mostly non-F2B folks, probably all from western Europe, effectively thwarted what the F2B working group suggested, and which was accepted by the ENTIRE F2 Technical Committee.

The FAI rule-making process is BROKEN! It will NEVER represent the will of the competitors but only a very small group who can afford to make it to Lausanne and join in the back-room negotiating.

Oh, I thought that had survived, but trying to make sense of the Yahoo! groups forum is almost impossible.

I certainly agree that the FAI rule-making process is irretrievably broken, this has been going on for a long time. While the stunt community, here and elsewhere, is more-or-less in agreement on what to do for almost every issue, the rest of the FAI system is the Keystone Kops, the ultimate amateur hour operation.

I still fail to see, and no one has yet explained in any sensible way, why we think we need the FAI to run stunt contests, either for the world, or in any particular country.  I could set up a more legitimate and more sensible system and run it myself, and so could just about anyone.

Brett

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 06:36:29 AM »
Brett, it had nothing to do with the Yahoo groups discussion. That was all carried out well before the favored few gathered in the smoke-filled room in Lausane to decide what the world needed.

As for the "why" of the FAI: the momentum of history, and the only organization that is recognized around the world. Most countries don't have the long, successful history of organizing and running that we do in the U.S., consequently simply cave in to using whatever the FAI says.

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 02:40:10 PM »
Brett, it had nothing to do with the Yahoo groups discussion. That was all carried out well before the favored few gathered in the smoke-filled room in Lausane to decide what the world needed.

I am very well aware of that. I mean, I simply couldn't sort out the information that Peter provided via the group, telling us that this had not come out as intended.

As for the "why" of the FAI: the momentum of history, and the only organization that is recognized around the world. Most countries don't have the long, successful history of organizing and running that we do in the U.S., consequently simply cave in to using whatever the FAI says.

It takes an interesting cultural heritage for some group to declare themselves the world authority on something they know nothing about, in a field in which they have accomplished exactly nothing, for 120 years, n'est-ce pas?

I think dinosaurs are really cool, so I hereby declare myself the world's chief paleontologist.

Brett
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 06:17:46 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 05:44:42 PM »
Is Sandy Pimenoff (sp?) still relevant in the CIAM? I always thought he was a twit, from observations at various WFFC's. Actually have more seriously negative opinions of him than that, but won't say them publicly.  VD~ Steve
In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.

In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General Mattis.

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 05:59:13 PM »
Is Sandy Pimenoff (sp?) still relevant in the CIAM? I always thought he was a twit, from observations at various WFFC's. Actually have more seriously negative opinions of him than that, but won't say them publicly.  VD~ Steve

Only peripherally. He is a past-president of the CIAM but has been gone for many years.
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Peter Germann

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 03:03:03 AM »
Is Sandy Pimenoff (sp?) still relevant in the CIAM?

Here is a bit of information on FAI

To find out what FAI really is and who is in charge:
https://www.fai.org/

Within FAI the organisation in charge of  aeromodelling is CIAM:
https://www.fai.org/commission/ciam

rgds, Peter

Peter Germann

Tags: