News:

• December 15, 2018, 01:12:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AMA Number  (Read 519 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
AMA Number
« on: October 12, 2018, 11:20:39 AM »
I know I shouldn't think at times, but while doing my morning thing I got to wondering how people are flying Other peoples planes in competition that they didn't build or finish that the original owner had flown it in competition his/her self.    Was the original license changed or did the new owner just add his/her number. S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530

Have fun as I have and is still breaking a record.

Online Dane Martin

• Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: AMA Number
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 11:26:14 AM »
I just flew a plane I didn't build at the contest in Tucson. I left the last dudes number on it and wrote mine on with a sharpie.

Offline john e. holliday

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 11:39:24 AM »
At least you are honest about it. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530

Have fun as I have and is still breaking a record.

Offline Dan Berry

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 04:16:35 PM »
BOM and appearance points aren't used at all contests.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 2018 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 04:23:23 PM »
I was a CD when I took off a few years.  When I came back they had lost my number and I had to revert to the number I joined under. Of course my CD number was on all of my planes.  So, if anybody out there has 1538 I have some planes you could use.

Ken
AMA 15382

If it is not broke, don't fix it.

Online Dane Martin

• Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 04:32:17 PM »
BOM and appearance points aren't used at all contests.

It was at this contest. I took a hit for it, but it's my own fault for not having a plane ready.

Offline Dan Berry

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 04:45:38 PM »
It was at this contest. I took a hit for it, but it's my own fault for not having a plane ready.

That is another option.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 04:45:54 PM »
Around here the rule isn't much enforced.  I'd have to check, but I think that technically you need it even if you're flying someone else's plane.  But, no one has told me to deface Paul Walker's 1988 Atlantis by scribbling my AMA number on the wing.

BTW: the rules don't say how visible your AMA number needs to be.  Some local joker started putting his on the wing in the same color of Monocoat as the plane.  Then some OTHER joker just ghosted his on over the fetching weathering on his P-47 wing.  I'm not sure how far this is going to be pushed...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 2018 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 07:04:42 PM »
The CLPA rules 2.4 state:"All models shall be identified by the CONTESTANT'S AMA license number permanently affixed to the upper side of the right-hand surface OR to each side of the fuselage OR vertical stabilizer.

The height of numerals shall be at least one (1) inch (25.4 mm). Both stroke and width shall be such to ENABLE READY RECOGNITION.  It is suggested that the letters USA (25.4 mm [1 inch] or higher) be placed at least once on the model. " End quote.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 06:51:35 AM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 08:04:09 PM »
The CLPA rules, 2.4 state:"All models shall be identified by the CONTESTANTS'S AMA license number permanently affixed to the upper side of the right-hand surface OR to each side of the fuselage OR vertical stabilizer.

The height of numerals shall be at least one (1) inch (25.4 mm). Both stroke and width shall be such to ENABLE READY RECOGNITION.  It is suggested that the letters USA (25.4 mm [1 inch] or higher) be placed at least once on the model. " End quote.

The numbers are for ID and lawyers will pick  you to pieces of your model has no numbers or other numbers if you do any harm to body or property with said model. .   D>K

Interestingly enough, the same rules regarding AMA numbers on the model don't apply to all classes of models. I was bewildered to find that they're not required at all on R/C pylon racers, which seem much more likely to cause a claim than a PA plane. I'm also wondering if having the numbers on the "rudder" is ok, since the rule Ty quoted says "vertical stabalizer".  D>K Steve

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.

In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General Mattis.

Online Trostle

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 12:02:02 AM »

(Clip)

I'm also wondering if having the numbers on the "rudder" is ok, since the rule Ty quoted says "vertical stabalizer".  D>K Steve

Well, the "rudder" is a part of the vertical tail, or as in the term used in the rule book -  the "vertical stabilizer".

It will be a good trick to put a four or five or six digit AMA number, each being at least one inch high on a the portion of the "vertical stabilizer" that would be considered as a rudder on a stunt ship of "normal" dimensions.

Keith

Tags: