News:
Support----><----Support

• December 11, 2018, 05:18:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 64 oz. History  (Read 1813 times)

Online peabody

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
64 oz. History
« on: January 11, 2018, 10:07:26 AM »
I was browsing a 199-2000 AMA Rule Book yesterday.
The Control Line General Section states that, unless specified by a specific class, all CL models were limited to four pounds.
The Precision Aerobatics section of the same book makes no mention of any weight, over or the four pounds.
I know that later rule books excluded PA from the weight rule....just wondering when/how the abandonment came about.
Thanks

Offline john e. holliday

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 64 oz. History
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 10:20:41 AM »
What does the rule book say now?   I know carrier had a max limit for different classes. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530

Offline Paul Smith

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 10:39:37 AM »
Control Line General.  Page 9.  Paragraph 8.

Four (4) pounds, 64 ounces maximum weight. 

It can be amended in individual events.

We have to draw the line somewhere and four pounds was a  reasonable limit in the days of McCoy 60's & Dooling 61's.  Now, with engines much more powerful, it's way too much.  But I doubt there will be any success in lowering it.
Paul Smith

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 11:35:47 AM »
I was browsing a 199-2000 AMA Rule Book yesterday.
The Control Line General Section states that, unless specified by a specific class, all CL models were limited to four pounds.
The Precision Aerobatics section of the same book makes no mention of any weight, over or the four pounds.
I know that later rule books excluded PA from the weight rule....just wondering when/how the abandonment came about.
Thanks

Tedious as always, asked and answered in 2004:

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=96944&mesg_id=96944&listing_type=search#96952

Brett

Online peabody

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 01:34:38 PM »
Thanks a lot Brett....I don't know why everyone laughs at you....you're the best Googler here.....

Offline Steve Thompson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 02:36:27 PM »
everyone laughs?

I don't.

I posted something here awhile back and Brett corrected me.  He was absolutely right.

It is my experience that he is a sharp guy and can be trusted to give the straight scoop.

I would like to thank him for the insight he shares and compliment him for his extreme patience.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 04:14:36 PM »
Especially Brett's patience...  y1 Steve
In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.

In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General Mattis.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 09:11:58 PM »
Thanks a lot Brett....I don't know why everyone laughs at you....you're the best Googler here.....

Everybody laughs? You are going to have to try a little harder than that...

BTW, I didn't google anything, I recalled the thread and used the nearly-functional SSW search function.

As a general comment, a few people seem to want to imagine that there are all sorts of tricky or subtle loopholes or hidden meanings in the rule book, only to be found with years/decades of careful study.  If you ever find yourself thinking that there are, you are mistaken. Particularly in stunt, more or less anything you want to do, or want to fly, as long as it fits in the 70', it's probably OK - because there really aren't any objective rules or limits on the equipment. Any conflicts or ambiguities that you might find can easily be cleared up, usually in seconds, by someone with a bit of experience. And in any case, time spent looking for loopholes or "gotchas" is better spent building or flying.

Brett

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 01:57:54 PM »
I've never laughed at Brett, not once. Mr. Peabody almost always leaves me shaking my head, not my belly.   D>K Steve
In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.

In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General Mattis.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 05:02:56 AM »
I laughed at Brett one time. It was just after he arrived in Muncie for the TT, just a couple months after making the same drive to the Nats. He mumbled something about it being the smartest thing he had done all year, despite the fact that he is a rocket scientist. I'm paraphrasing of course.

Derek

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 03:12:38 PM »
I laughed at Brett one time. It was just after he arrived in Muncie for the TT, just a couple months after making the same drive to the Nats. He mumbled something about it being the smartest thing he had done all year, despite the fact that he is a rocket scientist. I'm paraphrasing of course.

As with everything I say, it was a ripoff of something else:

https://twitter.com/SimpsonsQOTD/status/831122831748501504

I don't know if I have ever had an original thought in my entire life. Fortunately, TV exists, and between Simpsons quotes, and snips of "Dead Milkmen" lyrics, my entire "personality", such as it is, can be formed.

It may surprise people, but I honestly try to mimic human behavior as well as I can. It's not very good, but I am doing my best.

Brett

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 04:18:15 AM »
   As with everything I say, it was a ripoff of something else:

https://twitter.com/SimpsonsQOTD/status/831122831748501504

I don't know if I have ever had an original thought in my entire life. Fortunately, TV exists, and between Simpsons quotes, and snips of "Dead Milkmen" lyrics, my entire "personality", such as it is, can be formed.

It may surprise people, but I honestly try to mimic human behavior as well as I can. It's not very good, but I am doing my best.

Brett

Throw in a little Family Guy and you will be a well rounded human.

Most people don't have original thoughts. Take the author of this thread for example. All he knows is CNN talking points.

Derek

Offline john e. holliday

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 11:29:30 AM »
Ah, you've done it now. mw~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530