News:

• July 21, 2017, 10:41:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Caprice 50th anniversary special!  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Bob Hunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Caprice 50th anniversary special!
« on: March 28, 2017, 01:39:59 AM »
It dawned on me just recently that my Classic Legal Caprice design turns 50 this year. Is that possible? Must be a disruption in time and space...

No getting around it; that design is old, and so am I!

In celebration of the occasion. I'm offering a package consisting of the Caprice plans (autographed by that old Hunt guy...) and the fully sheeted wing for that design for the cost of the wing only. In other words, you get a set of plans (normally $14.95, plus shipping) free. This offer is good with the purchase of a Caprice MasterFlite wing. The MasterFlite option includes a fully sheeted wing with molded leading edges, trailing edges installed before sheeting (for a hidden seam and enhanced strength), full-depth Lite-Ply spars with balsa caps, installed landing gear ribs (a Bob Hunt original idea...), installed light weight landing gear plate system (another Bob Hunt innovation), landing gear cover plates that match the wing's airfoil and have recessed hold down screw holes, a detailed final sanding of the wing, and three-section internal coring (yet another Bob Hunt innovation...). The package is priced at $285.00, plus postage. That postage figure includes a folded set of plans. If you would care for rolled plans sent in a tube, there is an additional $6.00 charge.

I will also send via email a collection of construction photos and finished model photos to anyone who purchases the package and provides their email address.

For those interested in this model, there is a story about the Caprice in the Library section of this forum.  

This offer will be honored until December 31, 2017.

We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, personal checks and money orders. Phone orders are always welcome. Our phone number is 610-746-0106.

Thanks - Bob Hunt

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Caprice 50th anniversary special!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 08:33:11 AM »
always thought this was  a pretty airplane, but whos the scarey guy holding it, man , just about put me off my breakfast,, just about, I mean hey, its food so yeah,,  D>K
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 08:55:55 AM »
Love that plane Bob ! Could I see a pic please of the way the wing looks as it would be received ? Is this a .60 size plane? And finally, I assume no controls are included? Thanks!
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right!

Offline Bob Hunt

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 09:24:53 AM »
Hi Bill:

Sorry I don't have any photos that depict that wing as it would arrive. It's fully sheeted and sanded and has the landing gear retention system installed. I think I have a photo of the LG covers in place and will post that here.

The Caprice is a 35 to 40 sized ship.

Thanks - Bob  

Online Motorman

• Admiral
  • Millville NJ PDQ Flying Clown Country
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 06:00:10 PM »
Does it come in two halves, how do you get the controls in?

Thanks,
MM
There will be a sunny day and we will fly our airplanes.

Offline Bob Hunt

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 07:55:38 PM »
Hi Motorman:

Yes, it comes in two halves and the controls are put in before joining. Here's a photo of a typical (not in a Caprice) installation of controls. Two plywood pieces -one above the wing and one below the wing) go on over the 1/8-inch diameter center wire to make for a secure and strong mount.

Later - Bob

Offline Randy Cuberly

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 11:13:41 PM »
I have use many of Bob's Masterflite wings over the years and will testify to the fact that they are very practical WORKS of ART!!!

Bob's Craftsmanship is so good as to be called unique Art!

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Bob Hunt

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 08:24:51 AM »
Check's in the mail, Randy... ;D

(Thanks for the kudos!) - Bob

Offline Chris Behm

• C/L Newbie
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 02:42:27 PM »
Hi, Bob-

You may or may not have noticed that I am interested in a vacuum bagged, composite CF or glass wing, I am thinking of trying out.
In this similar white foam wing that you build, do you "core them out" after the balsa skin is on? I would assume so, to prevent distortion of the skin while it is being pressed in the gluing process. But maybe the fact that the wing profile is curved helps prevent crushing (egg shell effect) and you do it after the inside are removed.
Another option (for me) I have though of, is to cut the wing panel longer, and core out the shapes symmetrically, and trim the length and re-insert them while the skin is going on. For me, I'm going to have to use blue foam to prevent crushing, because when I skin the fabric, I will use @ 20-25" of vacuum to get a good finish and less epoxy in the layup (white foam crushes at @ >5" of vacuum, or about 2.5psi)

I'm thinking that you will completely understand what I am asking, since the techniques are very similar, just executed differently.

Congrats on the milestone, dude! That's awesome.

Respectfully,
Chris Behm
Regards,
Chris

AMA 5956
2008 F3F USA Viking Race Team

Tags: