News:

• May 06, 2024, 12:40:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Engine set up tips / Re: O.S. Max-s 35 wants to shut off?
« Last post by Dave_Trible on May 03, 2024, 08:32:25 AM »
I am running the 35S in a classic airplane at present.  It can act like yours at times but getting the right plug (listen to what Denny Adamisin has to say above-they ran them for years) and maybe trying a little lower oil content but not below 22-23% should help. (mostly or entirely castor)  One thing-it sounds like you are trying to run the old school long stroke engine sort of like a schnerle screamer.  You will burn it up that way in short order.  Run a 10-5 or 10-6 prop and cut that launch RPM down to a slower 2-4 break and go from there. 

Dave
« Last post by Colin McRae on May 03, 2024, 07:59:03 AM »
Oil content over 20-22% is just a tool you can use for more cooling. If your engine is flaming out I would not hesitate to go down to 20% oil and let some heat stay in. That being said, have you tried rasing your tank 1/8" above the center line of the engine?

MM

Thanks MM

I don't claim to know more than the engineers at OS so typically follow what the OS owner's manual says regarding recommended fuel which is 25% total oil. I was using 28% oil (50/50) and will lower to 25% to see what happens. I can also go lower. The engine does seem to run a bit hot as there is fuel/oil brown discoloration on the back side of the cylinder head. I'm guessing this is somewhat normal for this particular OS engine. Ground NVA set is approximately 1/4 turn open from peak rpm, so it should be getting enough fuel for lubrication being slightly on the rich side.

And the fuel tank is already at 1/4" above the spray bar centerline. The engine does burp when going inverted but recovers and the inverted lap time seems OK.

My basic setup on the Banshee:

OS Max-s 30 (stock CL)
APC 10-4 sport prop
Tank centerline 1/4" above spray bar
10% nitro
Ground rpm at approx 10,000
Stock tube muffler with muffler pressure
Brodak 3 oz metal wide-wedge uniflow fuel tank

Open Forum / Re: Balsa Safari
« Last post by Steve Dwyer on May 03, 2024, 07:03:51 AM »
Hobby lobby also has a great selection of wide soft bristle paint brushes to use for pretreating wood with clear.
« Last post by John Park on May 03, 2024, 06:30:07 AM »

Goes to show what a few hours of sun & sea will do to a man . Maybe the polititions should try it . Remember , No radios !
[/quote]
More like a hundred days - that's how long it took them to get to Polynesia.  By the way, the radio operators (Knut Haugland and Torstein Raaby) actually managed to work a radio ham in the USA from the middle of the Pacific!
Open Forum / Re: Acrylic over Monokote??
« Last post by fred cesquim on May 03, 2024, 04:42:58 AM »
Anyone have any experience airbrushing acrylic over monokote?

This would be for an electric so not too worried about fuel resistances.

TIA

I belive it can be sprayed and will hold as most of the paints i have tried, but i doubt it will stay there due to monokote expansion rate x stiffnes of the acrylic paint.
i would shot a 2 part clear over or use 2 part paint instead
« Last post by Air Ministry . on May 02, 2024, 10:38:57 PM »

Goes to show what a few hours of sun & sea will do to a man . Maybe the polititions should try it . Remember , No radios ! .  ;D

Somebodys having a go building another one , so , if you found a sponcer ,you could ' accidently ' get blown ' up the coast ' . If you whipped it through a sawmill before anyone woke up to it , you should be right for a while .
https://vadebarcos.net/2014/10/12/la-kon-tiki-de-thor-heyerdahl/

kontiki II . lets see . how many trees . Would they grow in the back yard ? .
Open Forum / Re: Balanced turning questions
« Last post by Air Ministry . on May 02, 2024, 10:23:38 PM »
A soft pencil , like a HB ( not to sharp ) or is it 2H , or a felt marker - should wash off . later . maybe ! .

So getting a dead aft ' neutral / center line , line / mark - 1/4 or so long REFERANCE . then hang from a leadout . CAREFULLY . they hurt your foot if you play Tarzan & the nail pulls out . ( oops ) Just as well the foot was under it .

SOME , just hanging , the FLAP ( & elevator ) is just ' so far ' . a bit of weight on it to get FULL DISPLACEMENT of control surface . What with paint , newness , angles & oiling hinge pins // etc .

a dot at the flap T.e. , in line withit . A offcut of 1/16 six in long , to bridge a gap , if needed . So its ALIGNED EXACTLY . the dot . AND the other one . THEN ' are the Two Dots equispaced from your  megaacurate C/L line .

Some of mine want the flaps & elevators grasping , after storage , and leaning onem Full deflection ( or more ) to FREE OFF for full movement . THEN carefull glareng at surfaces to see theyre exactly alinged side to side .

The TEST is to see IF it sits at Equal Deflection , with just ts own weight . Dosnt hurt to glare at fuse to see if its just outside level , too . However , whacking / leaning onit , SHOULD get exactly equal deflection .
Till you decide otherwise . as in if it NEEDS ' pre set ' to equal the turns . Just to try'n de muddify the waters . On that .  Pretty Basic first principle set up .

But Neg Stabs useless . A iota + usually benificial , with the stab. up from the wing centerline . Im starting to think unequal all hights , gets a ' pre load ' that steadies & halts ' hop ' / bounce , as in it ' locks ' outa squares etc better , not so easilly deflected either . but traks as youd want it . Hopefully . We shall see . Engine & wing centerlines , anyhow . So it follows aft too . But I dont usually have 25 % tailplanes .
so almost irrelevant waffle . Or regurgetation .
« Last post by Motorman on May 02, 2024, 04:57:20 PM »
Oil content over 20-22% is just a tool you can use for more cooling. If your engine is flaming out I would not hesitate to go down to 20% oil and let some heat stay in. That being said, have you tried rasing your tank 1/8" above the center line of the engine?

MM
1/2 A building. / Re: Nylon firewall for Cox .049
« Last post by 944_Jim on May 02, 2024, 03:10:03 PM »
Even 1/8" tomato crate wood...it's only 1/2A. A reasonable Cox facsimile could be done.
« Last post by EricV on May 02, 2024, 12:37:45 PM »
Under the category of strange but true:

Every year, Charlies Hobbies in Tampa had a huge shipment of balsa... I would go in there and cherry pick the light stuff and go home thinking how great that was. I finally got curious enough to ask Charlie back when he still owned the place "what's with the huge balsa shipment? Surely none of the R/C guys are scratch building THIS much locally? (it was a HUGE shipment)

Charlie just chuckles and replies "You are going to hate my answer..."

I think, how bad can it be, scratch building stuff is great, right?

he goes on "... the local college kids taking one of the art courses have to build a diarama every year as part of their final grade and it uses a ton of balsa".

I just stared at him dumbfounded.  Charlie goes "Told ya you'd hate the answer". LOL! Good ol' Charlie, I do miss him, heh. The new guy who bought the store was into model RC Cars more than anything else, and the change in inventory reflected that. Shame...
Eric
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Advertise Here