News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:18:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Open Forum / Re: Mustunt 3 and 4 plans
« Last post by Air Ministry . on April 23, 2024, 06:14:37 PM »
https://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=659

likely source . 9 I didnt SEARCH for the 3 & 4  . They do the REST OF AL's .

Open Forum / Re: Plugging boost port on fox .35
« Last post by Brian Hampton on April 23, 2024, 04:46:24 PM »
Have you ever been driving in the car and made a turn.....
.....with all the windows closed and helium party balloon floating on a string. Turn to the left and the balloon will lean INTO the corner. The static air inside the cabin has inertia so it piles up very slightly to the right of the cabin giving a differential air pressure which the balloon feels.
Open Forum / Re: Howards circle???
« Last post by Steve Helmick on April 23, 2024, 03:09:22 PM »
Interesting. Did you check the circle diameter? Howard won't fly on less than an 80' radius. I'd wonder where the inevitable mini-vans and pickup trucks would unload and load. The other thing is that there are LOTS of nitwits that complain about the noise from R/C gliders, so CL electrics would be extremely offensive. We needn't mention real model airplanes.

It seems like I haven't been to the Seattle Center for about 55 years. Went to some hockey fights there. They were brawling in the tunnel on the way out of the arena. Parking was a problem then, and no doubt worse now.  :P Steve
Open Forum / Howards circle???
« Last post by Paul Taylor on April 23, 2024, 01:33:47 PM »
I saw this from the Space Needle.

Looks like maybe where a contest should be in Howard’s backyard.
1/2 A building. / Re: #2 wood screws
« Last post by Dan McEntee on April 23, 2024, 12:55:22 PM »
  I would be afraid of the dowels breaking off, and if you made them out of metal then breaking the ears off the back plate. Some one is making new ones from aluminum now but why break it if you don't have to. The zinc castings that the back plates on Cox engines can get pretty brittle with age. Two plywood fire walls, like used on the Goldberg Wizard, with one built into the fuselage and the engine attached with number 2 screws to the other, then rubber bands hold the two together works extremely well. All the engines mounted on the TuffBaby trainers used at Oshkosh have been crashed more times than most can imagine and we never broke a firewall or broke anything on an engine.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
Open Forum / Re: Ball Links
« Last post by Dan McEntee on April 23, 2024, 12:45:14 PM »
Before you get any of these make sure you have 4-40 taps, both left and right.  They come untapped and the rubber is very hard, much harder that a DuBro.  They will not self thread using a bolt.  The hole is deep so you can tap it a full 1/2".  Once tapped, links are very easy to turn with just enough hold to keep them from rotating on their own.  I tested one with only 4 turns in the threads and it held for as hard as I could pull on the pushrod.  In my bag of 10, all 10 of the balls were tight and very free.  In my last bag of DuBro about 1/2 were too tight to use.

Ken

Just curious, does anybody make a 3.75-40 tap just for ball links? LL~

Take a 4-40 bolt and using the thinnest cut off wheel you have, cut a flute the length of the threads. Two or three is our call. Taper the end a tiny bit and you have a tap that will work in wood, plastic and and can chase existing threads in anything. I have never tried cutting new threads in aluminum or brass. It may make the threads in the ball link body a bit more snug. Threads on things like push rod ends, wheel spokes and such are not cut with a die. They are rolled in a series of sharp wheels and that is what raises the threads above the diameter of the rod they are made in. I wish I had a dollar for every time some one came into the hobby shop I used to work at and asked for a die to make threads on push rod ends longer!! I know a guy that had a small machine for rolling threads and I'm trying to see if he'll part with it just because it's the only one I've ever seen!!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
Open Forum / Re: Ball Links
« Last post by Brett Buck on April 23, 2024, 12:27:55 PM »
Before you get any of these make sure you have 4-40 taps, both left and right.  They come untapped and the rubber is very hard, much harder that a DuBro.  They will not self thread using a bolt.  The hole is deep so you can tap it a full 1/2".  Once tapped, links are very easy to turn with just enough hold to keep them from rotating on their own.  I tested one with only 4 turns in the threads and it held for as hard as I could pull on the pushrod.  In my bag of 10, all 10 of the balls were tight and very free.  In my last bag of DuBro about 1/2 were too tight to use.

Ken

Just curious, does anybody make a 3.75-40 tap just for ball links? LL~

I think you want one with a different class of fit, Class 3x for one or both sides of the interface. . But, there is a similar question about getting class 3 4-40 taps. You might do better on the male side, dies are adjustable, or single-point threading. In plastic you might get an interference fit since it will spring out a bit while tapping it.

I only have a thread on one end, the other end has a pretty classic-looking 3/32 music wire with a keeper. If you have left/right threads like a turnbuckle, then you have to worry about them turning themselves and do something to prevent it.

Brett
1/2 A building. / Re: #2 wood screws
« Last post by Ken Culbertson on April 23, 2024, 11:27:30 AM »
Another good approach for children's trainers is dispense with threaded fasteners and use rubber bands.  Put dowels in place of the bolts and provide an anchor rod behind the engine mount.

A broken gum band can cut your losses.
From the looks of the glow plug fins it worked.  #^
Tom Dixon products / Tom Dixon Re: Joe Nall
« Last post by Jim Catevenis on April 23, 2024, 11:11:21 AM »
From Tom Dixon        Re: “Joe Nall”

The Joe Nall gathering/contest is coming up shortly.  I plan to be there late Thurs. morning, May 16th through late Fri. pm May 17th.

I will have several planes for sale, with, or without engines, and also a bunch of recently “rescued” engines, all in excellent condition.

If you are interested in acquiring any of these, please call.  It’s too much to list here.

Tom Dixon
770-592-3279
315 Santa Anita Ave.
Woodstock, Ga 30189
Classifieds / Tom Dixon Re: Joe Nall
« Last post by Jim Catevenis on April 23, 2024, 11:10:06 AM »
From Tom Dixon        Re: “Joe Nall”

The Joe Nall gathering/contest is coming up shortly.  I plan to be there late Thurs. morning, May 16th through late Fri. pm May 17th.

I will have several planes for sale, with, or without engines, and also a bunch of recently “rescued” engines, all in excellent condition.

If you are interested in acquiring any of these, please call.  It’s too much to list here.

Tom Dixon
770-592-3279
315 Santa Anita Ave.
Woodstock, Ga 30189
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Advertise Here