News:

• May 08, 2024, 02:38:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Open Forum / Re: Acrylic over Monokote??
« Last post by John Carrodus on May 06, 2024, 11:57:38 AM »
Hiya Paul
Yes you can.
I have twice used rattle can automotive acrylic over monocoat without a problem. But slightly depoloish with steel wool, then a light primer coat- almost just a dusting. Next, a few very light top coats to a gunfinish shine.- you don't really want to hard polish paint over monocoated open bays, other than a light hand buff to avoid stretching the monocoat
Open Forum / Re: ADVENTURES IN SPECTRA
« Last post by Dave_Trible on May 06, 2024, 11:49:09 AM »
            Dave, I don't use a adjustable handle on my combat planes. My lines are exact length using a button style bellcrank. 60' center to center. Using leadouts to the tip would be consistently changing from plane to plane therefore I keep them all the same. We pull test prior to a match and inspect at the designated area. Unfortunately, more than once the failure I mentioned only happened in the area subjected to wear.
OK , well I still don't quite follow where the problem would be as long as you were careful to tie all the ends off equally-might require a holding fixture.  In my combat days (1970's)  we did this but did have a somewhat adjustable handle- the Hot Rock.  In any event maybe nylon guides or eyelets might help.  I'm using the nylon/teflon sheath from those RC control cable pushrods on some of my classic airplanes albeit with .027 cable.

Dave
Open Forum / Re: ADVENTURES IN SPECTRA
« Last post by Jim Hoffman on May 06, 2024, 11:30:31 AM »
I see some discussion of Spectra failures.  Perhaps this empirical data will be helpful

I’ve done a bit of destructive testing on Spectra materials. I pull test samples to destruction to allow me to make decisions on lines material for a given weight airplane.  Based on testing, my rule of thumb is to plan on failure at 50% of manufacturers rated capacity.  I then size and validate my flying lines to withstand a 15G pull test knowing they will see a 10G pull test at contests.  A proof test of 50% of max normal operating load is an aerospace standard.

TESTING
•   I make the test sample ends exactly the way I make my flight lines.
•   Test samples are  1 to 2 foot in length.
•   I generally make 5 test samples of any product under test.
•   I tie the knots per the Mike Stinson You Tube video and use weld rings at the ends.
•   I use a luggage spring scale with a max load indicator dial.
•   I work my way up to failure in 5# increments and dwell at each load maybe 5-10 seconds.

RESULT:
•   I have found that the material fails at about 50% of the rated strength, although there is certainly some variation.
•   Failure occurs where the line exits the knot.
•   I have tried knitted overbraid per the kite community and found no improvement.

My test samples included:
•   Macuatro Power Pro 50# test
•   Macuatro Power Pro 65# test
•   Fins Spin 5  25# test
•   Fins Spin 5  50# test
•   Windtamer 100#  test   (this made it to 70% which is the highest % load achieved by me)
Open Forum / Re: Air Brushes
« Last post by Paul Wescott on May 06, 2024, 10:25:42 AM »
All good responses here, thank you.

Dennis, can you tell me what the difference is between the VL-3AS double Action brush you bought and the VL-3MH Double Action brush is?  I see that the VL-3MH replaces the VLS-202S while the VL-3AS replaces the VLS-Set. Literature is confusing and difficult to follow.

Steve

Once again the marketing folks in their never ending quest to sell MORE STUFF have muddied the waters.

The VL model has been around for a long time (decades) with no real changes.  Here are the two (2) I was able to identify:

VL-SET - Plastic handle (always) which must be removed to pre-adjust the needle, and the spigot on the bottom for mounting the cup or bottle is a plug-in friction fit.

VLS-SET - Exactly the same as VL-SET except the spigot on the bottom where the cup or bottle plugs in includes a nut to tighten the grip.  Necessary?  I’ve never needed one.

VL-202S - Exactly the same as VL-SET except the plastic handle has been replaced with a “ported” aluminum handle.  The ports allow access to the needle adjuster nut for pre-adjusting and also for pulling the needle back during use.  Some users like to clear the orifice area during use by blowing full air and flicking the needle back and forth.  It’s hard to do with only the trigger.  So they hold the trigger button down and forward (full air but needle is forward, then they grab the needle nut through the ports in the handle and they run it back and forth quickly a few times.  My description may not make much sense until you need to do it, or you see someone do it (YouTube is your friend here).

VLS-202S - Exactly the same as VL-202S except the spigot on the bottom where the cup or bottle plugs in includes a nut to tighten the grip.

Newer model numbers:

VL-3AS - Model number change only.  Exactly the same as the VL-SET.

VLS-3MH - Model number change only.  Exactly the same as the VLS-202S.  I’m pretty sure “MH” stands for Metal Handle.

I hope that helps a bit.
Open Forum / Re: Col. Peck's Barracuda
« Last post by Dennis Saydak on May 06, 2024, 09:54:50 AM »
This may shed some light on  the definition of "Kentucky Col". John Peck must have earned that title in some way. It would be nice to know more. https://www.kycolonelcy.us/faq
Open Forum / Re: My P40 Maiden Flight
« Last post by Paul Taylor on May 06, 2024, 09:31:06 AM »
I have noticed wear on the back plates of the Max-S engines. I always make sure the front bearing washer is in place. Has anyone ever tried adding additional backplate gaskets? There's an extensive amount of discussion on the Max-S engines here from back in the day, I'm curious, however, why this topic hasn't been covered more.  Why would a Thunder Tiger prop make any difference other than it has a thinner profile?

Steve

The TT prop for the LA 46 was the magic prop. I never question magic. 🤣

Sort of like the old Rev Ups were the prop to swing. 👍🏼
« Last post by Al Ferraro on May 06, 2024, 07:44:35 AM »
  Looks like you are running the stock OS muffler which is very restrictive. I would run a 5/16 drill all the way through the exhaust to let engine breathe better or get a Dinger muffler. As far as props go, I would use the APC 11.5X4. I tried the TT 11x4.5 on my LA 46 powered Vector and on a calm day it works ok, but when the wind starts blowing the APC is the clear winner.
Al
Gettin all AMP'ed up! / Re: Climb and Dive Timer New Software Update V1.4
« Last post by Dennis Toth on May 06, 2024, 07:29:06 AM »
CF,
Does a new timer come with the latest program upgrades installed?

Best,  DennisT
Open Forum / Re: Air Brushes
« Last post by Dennis Toth on May 06, 2024, 07:17:12 AM »
Steve,
Are you using it to do shading or weathering or just clear coat? If doing shading/weathering the double action airbrush may be worth the $. However, for just spraying color/clear coat the Preval System disposable units from Home Depot (https://www.homedepot.com/b/Paint-Paint-Supplies-Paint-Applicators-Paint-Sprayers/Preval/N-5yc1vZarv5Z7vb at all the big chains and Amazon too) are just fine. Keep the head capped after each coat and it will spray out with no issues, one big tip is to strain the paint as you add it to the spray jar and keep the end screen on the pickup tube.

Best,    DennisT
« Last post by Steve Dwyer on May 06, 2024, 05:55:31 AM »
I have noticed wear on the back plates of the Max-S engines. I always make sure the front bearing washer is in place. Has anyone ever tried adding additional backplate gaskets? There's an extensive amount of discussion on the Max-S engines here from back in the day, I'm curious, however, why this topic hasn't been covered more.  Why would a Thunder Tiger prop make any difference other than it has a thinner profile?

Steve
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Advertise Here