News:

• May 05, 2024, 06:46:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Open Forum / Re: Fiorotti programing g force
« Last post by Shorts,David on May 03, 2024, 04:31:55 PM »
Unless I did something wrong, my g-force programming only goes up to 5. So I set it at 3 and didn't see any difference. I'll try it at the max, 5, next time I go out. I am still using chinese escs to save weight, but perhaps I need to put in my castle 50s for the g force to work properly.

David
Thank you again Howard!
1/2 A building. / Re: Nylon firewall for Cox .049
« Last post by 944_Jim on May 03, 2024, 04:12:30 PM »
Mark, you know I like the smalls. I was trying to maintain a sense of perspective.

My biggest ship so far was the BHM Mosquito with twin Norvel .074s. I flew it with my RSM Renger handle, which is two layers of 1/16" plywood. I plan on using it with a .15-powered AkroMaster.
 I wouldn't fly either with a Cox handle...especially one pulled out of a 40 year old stash.

Nor would I fly anything on a hollow Carl Goldberg handle. The last one I had turned to dust as I tried to trace it as a template!

Open Forum / Re: Col. Peck's Barracuda
« Last post by Sina Goudarzi on May 03, 2024, 03:46:42 PM »
This might help.
sina
« Last post by Mark Mc on May 03, 2024, 03:45:18 PM »
As for the handles, got some 1/4" plywood and a jigsaw?

Why not go really old school?  Grab a wood broomstick and cut down into sections, then drill holes in the ends.
« Last post by Mark Mc on May 03, 2024, 03:43:34 PM »
Even 1/8" tomato crate wood...it's only 1/2A. A reasonable Cox facsimile could be done.

Only 1/2A?  Only 1/2A???  The most noble and sincere representation of youthful modelling in the annals of history?

ONLY 1/2A?!?!?
Engine set up tips / Re: O.S. Max-s 35 wants to shut off?
« Last post by Dan McEntee on May 03, 2024, 03:38:25 PM »
I don't have much experience with idle bar glow plugs.

I happen to have this idle bar plug, but not sure of the manufacturer or heat range. I saw a picture of a Zinger plug and it looks very similar based on the electrode tip being pointed. I also believe K&B made the Zinger plugs once upon a time.

The plug is a long-reach idle bar type. Can anyone please let me know if they know the manuf and heat range?

I will try it out on my OS Max-s 30 next time I am out flying my Banshee.

Thanks in advance

To ID an old glow plug you almost need a new in package example to match it up with. Heat range is a function of the size of the hole that the coil is in, and how heavy the coil wire is along with how many coils. A glow plug works from catalytic reaction with the alcohol in the fuel. If you have a bigger hole to hold more fuel and bigger wire you have more catalytic reaction and a hotter glow that lasts longer. get in the habit of looking at the business end  of the plugs you have and just make a mental not of what you see. I like the idle bar because it give carbon some place to grow and keeps debris off the coil. Many plugs are made by the same manufacturer, and they produce the plugs to the specifications and "look" that the customer desires, so in effect, you could have three old plugs right next to each other, and even though they may look different, they may be the same plug!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
Open Forum / 2024 US Nationals Stunt Qualification Rounds Circle Seeding
« Last post by Howard Rush on May 03, 2024, 03:11:47 PM »
Here is circle seeding for the 2024 stunt Nats.  I did it using the same seeding formula that was used for previous stunt Nats.  The seeding formula is based on Open, Expert, and Advanced Nats placing for the last 10 years.  US team members not attending the Nats during a world champs year are included, ranked the same as Open Nats winners.  I attached a copy of the seeding spreadsheet.  I put the seeding into the Nats stunt tabulation program.  The tabulation program is too big to attach here, but I'll send it to anybody who wants it.  I encourage everybody to look at these spreadsheets and critique them.  Here are the top 30 seeds:

1 Orestes Hernandez
2 David Fitzgerald
3 Paul Walker
4 Derek Barry
5 Howard Rush
6 Kenny Stevens
7 Todd Lee
8 Joe Gilbert
9 Brett Buck
10 Joseph Daly
11 Robert McDonald
12 James Mills
13 Matthew Colan
14 Matt Neumann
15 Chris Rud
16 Michael Schmitt
17 Chris Cox
18 Michael McHenry
19 Bob Hunt
20 Crist Rigotti
21 Steven Daly
22 Bruce Jennings
23 Dan Banjock
24 Tom Luciano
25 Dennis Adamisin
26 William DeMauro
27 Steve Fitton
28 Richard Oliver
29 Vincent Bodde
30 Don Cranfill

For the top 20 in Open and Advanced for the last ten years, first place gets 20 points, second place gets 19, and so on.  US Team members who were out of town for the WC get 20 points each.  Scores get multiplied by 10 for 2023, 9 for 2022, and so on.  Advanced scores are then multiplied by .5.  Richard Huff's score includes both his Open and Advanced placings, for example.  I combined the Expert and Advanced placings for 2014.

Top score is seeded #1.  Guys who haven't placed in the top 20 in either Advanced or Open in the last ten years are unseeded.  Their assignment to one of the four groups for qualifying rounds is done by random draw.

The tabulation program tosses out seeds that are not entered at the current Nats and moves those who are entered up to fill in gaps.  For example, if Orestes doesn't show up for this year’s Nats, the tabulation program will bump everybody else up a notch. 

This seeding is only used to distribute contestants among circles for qualifying.  It might make the circles more uniform, but it has little effect on the outcome of the contest.  Seeding is not an indication of one's worth as a person, which is obvious for four cases above.  Here is a crude analysis I did on the effect of Nats qualification rounds seeding: http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/nats-seeding/

Although seeding has little effect--none at all on the top handful of fliers-- using a formula published in advance removes any arbitrariness about circle assignment.

Oops, modified to update some dates.
Open Forum / Col. Peck's Barracuda
« Last post by Dennis Saydak on May 03, 2024, 02:55:44 PM »
Here's a picture of my Barracuda model as far as I got with it. Unfortunately because of long term mobility problems I recently decided to hang up my C/L handle for good. I donated the Cuda to a good friend last week who is a master painter. He intends to paint it; and if all the stars align it may even be at the US Nationals this year. It's a very unusual design and as far as I know only a couple of Cudas were built.

Engine set up tips / Re: O.S. Max-s 35 wants to shut off?
« Last post by Colin McRae on May 03, 2024, 02:15:44 PM »
I don't have much experience with idle bar glow plugs.

I happen to have this idle bar plug, but not sure of the manufacturer or heat range. I saw a picture of a Zinger plug and it looks very similar based on the electrode tip being pointed. I also believe K&B made the Zinger plugs once upon a time.

The plug is a long-reach idle bar type. Can anyone please let me know if they know the manuf and heat range?

I will try it out on my OS Max-s 30 next time I am out flying my Banshee.

Thanks in advance
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Advertise Here