News:

• May 06, 2024, 01:29:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Open Forum / Re: Col. Peck's Barracuda
« Last post by Les McDonald on Yesterday at 07:30:24 PM »
During some emailing last night with Wynn I mentioned this thread and this was his reply about John.

"John Peck was an engineer at IBM as far as I can remember.  I never heard he or Lew McF talk
about him being in the military.  I visited him a couple of times at his home after I really got into the
hobby (probably sometime '64-'67 maybe) and watched him do some work on a plane - very meticulous as you might expect looking at the Barracuda and some others.
        He talked me through my first full stunt pattern at the back of Bluegrass Field Airport in Lex.
when we had two circles there.  I was flying a Magician with an upright Fox 35 (he recommended
that I covert to that for ease in starting, etc.).  Later, he gave me the Barracuda so I would have something good to fly, as at that time I was conducting two swim practices a day in the summer and
going to meets often.
          I think he got into RC toward the end of the '60s.  I always got the feeling that while he was a
better builder than Lew, he could not out fly him and this bugged him."
Open Forum / Re: Another Legend Gone West.
« Last post by john e. holliday on Yesterday at 06:59:26 PM »
Thanks Dan.  Yes another of aviations gone on.   I it is getting to that point in life.
« Last post by dave siegler on Yesterday at 06:14:20 PM »
I met him several times at EAA Airventure as well.  One time working at Kidevenure when I was hot and needed to get out of the sun,  I walked into the museum. and the AC fogged my glasses.  I bumped into him.  I apologized and he made some comments about the Wisconsin heat and humidity and the dry heat of Mojave.  He as at a book signing event.   

He was a complex guy.  Read his books they are interesting. 
Open Forum / Re: ADVENTURES IN SPECTRA
« Last post by kenneth cook on Yesterday at 05:35:47 PM »
            Dave, I don't use a adjustable handle on my combat planes. My lines are exact length using a button style bellcrank. 60' center to center. Using leadouts to the tip would be consistently changing from plane to plane therefore I keep them all the same. We pull test prior to a match and inspect at the designated area. Unfortunately, more than once the failure I mentioned only happened in the area subjected to wear.
« Last post by Jeremy Chinn on Yesterday at 05:24:10 PM »
Rutan was truly one of my heroes when I was a kid. I built several models of the Voyager. This is a screen capture from a vhs vid of me flying one.
« Last post by Colin McRae on Yesterday at 05:06:00 PM »
This is how I have been doing my PowerPro Spectra, very simple using Sullivan 80# clips. Never had a line failure or knot come loose. And no fraying.

I have been using 65# test Spectra lines, even on my heavy Vector 40 at 62 oz. Concerning overall strength, two 65# test lines to a model would total 130#. In level flight, my Vector probably has a pull of say 10# (5# per line). Or a safety factor of 13.

Some pilots are using 80# test. The only reason to do so that I can think of would be for lower stretch. But 80# is surely not needed for overall strength.

Also, lines can end up with slight damage over time (dragging lines on the ground, someone maybe stepping on them, etc.). I can make up a new set of lines for around $5. So, I have been replacing my lines that have lots of flights on them every couple of years. Just additional safety factor overkill for me.
Open Forum / Re: Air Brushes
« Last post by Doug Moisuk on Yesterday at 04:29:57 PM »
Do you need the most expensive ones? Are you using it every day?
I bought the best one from here and I’m happy with it. Capable of more than my skills.

https://chuckbauman.com/airbrushes-free-airbrush-reviews.htm
« Last post by Dave_Trible on Yesterday at 04:12:28 PM »
                 Dan, we were using them for combat but I fly all the sport stuff with the same lines. The only failures we ever encountered was at the line guide at the tip. We would flip our lines now and then because it would fray them were it rubbed on the bushing. It didn't matter what material we used because I was also using the ceramic tip guides used on fishing rods. I love the stuff and I never EVER had a knot fail. The lines always broke where it exited the plane. Most of my  early combat planes were using nylon bushings at the tip guide. It took quite a bit to fray the lines but eventually they would.
I think I would use cable to the bell crank and exit the lead out guide just like with steel lines and then attach the other line there.  That would eliminate the wear problem.  I'm just getting my first airplane intended for those lines ready to go and that's my method.  I can also go back to the steel quickly if I wanted.

Dave
Engine set up tips / Re: Prop suggestions
« Last post by Dennis Toth on Yesterday at 04:00:01 PM »
Frank,
I think for the MVVS 1.5 would start with a 7x6 wide blade, for the 2.0 something like an 8 1/2x6. For the Irving 20 like a 9x6, the 40's can turn a good prop, wide blade 11x7. The same for the FP convert.

Make sure you have fuel with enough ether in the fuel, the FP Davis Convert can be very sensitive to the  amount of ether. You want to have at least 33% ether to keep temperature control (I have one and with low ether I could not back off the compression to keep steady running).

Best,    DennisT
« Last post by Will Hinton on Yesterday at 03:47:03 PM »
Thanks Dan, for this post.  I have been/am a huge fan of the Rutans and the wonderful addition to aviation they have made.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Advertise Here