News:

• May 01, 2024, 08:46:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
1/2 A building. / Re: Nylon furewall for Cox .049
« Last post by Dave Nyce on Today at 08:42:29 AM »
Dan: We have lots of the red plastic handles, but the kids like the one shown in the photo better. Easy to adjust. If you have any of those (any color), I will give them to the kids. Thanks!
Open Forum / Re: Help with positioning WWII wing insignia
« Last post by Trostle on Today at 08:30:29 AM »
last picture

The best way I can explain it and according to the several drawings already sent to you, the center line of the insignia needs to be perpendicular to the center line of the airplane.  Since this is not a totally scale model, the best way to position the fore and aft location, center the insignia between the leading edge of the wing and the aileron leading edge.  The location from the tip of the wing would probably look best or OK  and according to the drawings you showed would be to center the insignia between the wing tip and the outside line of the invasion stripes.

Just my 2 cents worth based a bit of building/finishing scale and semiscale models.

Keith
« Last post by Rusty on Today at 08:02:41 AM »
last picture
« Last post by Rusty on Today at 07:54:58 AM »
Thank you very much for the help.

Motorman, I tried doing what you said, by repositioning it and came to the conclusion I can't trust myself and there must be a precision way to do it.  I have attached a picture where I centered it by eye. 

WWWwarbird, I used a carpenters square to put alignment marks and attached a picture.

Air Ministry, Thank you for the info.  I have searched for weeks trying to find data.  I can't see any reference lines, etc.  I have found a couple pictures where I tried putting a draftsman triangle on the picture to determine alignment. 

Please see pictures and let me know what you think.  The pictures have titles in the details

Classifieds / Looking for Kaz Minato carbon tanks
« Last post by Matt Colan on Today at 07:17:48 AM »
Looking for a couple Kaz Minato carbon 8.25oz carbon tanks with the attached plumbing arrangement. The pickup has a large diameter tubing. Standard diameter tubing would work as well.

If anyone has a couple of these tanks they’re willing to part with, please let me know!
Open Forum / Re: Balanced turning questions
« Last post by Matt Brown on Today at 06:59:36 AM »
    I am not sure, but try a different test - presumably, the leadouts are even when the elevator is neutral. Measure the deflection when you move the leadouts 1" in either direction. You want it to be the same.

I would note that the "max" movement probably doesn't mean anything, you will not be able to get anywhere near the maximum movement.

You also don't mention whether or not you have sealed the hinge lines. If not, seal the hinge lines and start over.

Brett

p.s. Also, I am not sure about the wing area on this airplane, but 1.625:1 elevator/flap ratio is A LOT of difference. For that to be right,  it would need to extremely low wing loading. Too heavy with that ratio and it will for sure "mush" or stall with too much deflection.  That means even a slight asymmetry in the wing LE shape miught cause it to stall differently inside and out, leading to your apparent turn difference.

I am not familiar with the airplane at all, but I would suggest starting with 1:1, lacking any other information.   As mentioned above, I think you really need to make easy adjustments possible, if it means cutting something or building fairings to gain clearance, I think you need to do that.

Sealing the hinge line is on today’s list of things to do to the plane.
Can’t really compare/calculate the travel ratio flap to elevator by the measurements I gave as the width of the elevator and flap vary the travel the quickie way I measured it. Had I measured with a degree’d throw gauge then that would work out. The horns and pushrod was setup for 1:1 travel initially during the build.
Open Forum / Re: Humor section?
« Last post by Perry Rose on Today at 06:32:58 AM »
Another test gone wrong.
Open Forum / Re: Sig Super Chipmunk cowl
« Last post by Matt Neumann on Today at 04:42:18 AM »
I have one that I could probably part with.
The downside would be the cost of shipping from Canada.
PM me and I’ll see if I can help out.

PM sent
Building techniques / Re: Endgame IV Build
« Last post by Ken Culbertson on Yesterday at 11:58:40 PM »
Wing is getting fitted out.  Center spar reinforcement assembled.  Consists of two laminations of .03 CF Plate over a 1/8" balsa core.  This is my new plywood.  Considerably stronger Bellcrenk pivot wire (1/8") goes through the center.  Plumbing for the motor power cables added and cut the openings for the canard pushrod.  Landing gear mounts next.  Todays progress was interrupted by the wall mounted hook to hang Endgame III broke and THUD she fell three feet.  Saved by the collett.  It slipped and let the spinner absorb the shock.  Aside from a broken battery limit - no damage!
Open Forum / Re: Balanced turning questions
« Last post by Brett Buck on Yesterday at 10:48:44 PM »
I posted on facebook about my maiden flights on my new Pathfinder LE from RSM. While going through the early flights getting a feel for it, I felt like it turned much better inside than outside. Several guys on facebook suggested shortening the elevator pushrod. This makes some sense to me and is on my list of things to consider. I wanted to analyze things further before cutting into my plane. I didn’t have room for a hatch back at the elevator so I just covered the area with a silkspan patch. I don’t want to cut it out until I’m sure that’s what it needs as I have to go through the refinishing process afterwards.
I set my controls up best I could during the build. I locked the bellcrank to neutral and played with pushrod lengths to get throws as equal as possible. After the maiden, I went back and took some basic measurements again. When I pull the up line, I get 1-5/8” up elevator travel and 1” of down flap. Conversely pulling the down line such that I get the same 1-5/8” down elevator travel I also get 1” of flap up travel.  The 1-5/8” of up travel is max up throw. However I do get a bit more down elevator throw at the mechanical limit. I get 1-7/8” of down with about 1-1/4” of up flap. To me, this seems like it should turn outside better but it definitely doesn’t feel like it to me. It feels like it’s mushing through outside sharp corners whereas it really pops through insides.
Can someone help me understand what may be happening?

I am not sure, but try a different test - presumably, the leadouts are even when the elevator is neutral. Measure the deflection when you move the leadouts 1" in either direction. You want it to be the same.

I would note that the "max" movement probably doesn't mean anything, you will not be able to get anywhere near the maximum movement.

You also don't mention whether or not you have sealed the hinge lines. If not, seal the hinge lines and start over.

Brett

p.s. Also, I am not sure about the wing area on this airplane, but 1.625:1 elevator/flap ratio is A LOT of difference. For that to be right,  it would need to extremely low wing loading. Too heavy with that ratio and it will for sure "mush" or stall with too much deflection.  That means even a slight asymmetry in the wing LE shape miught cause it to stall differently inside and out, leading to your apparent turn difference.

I am not familiar with the airplane at all, but I would suggest starting with 1:1, lacking any other information.   As mentioned above, I think you really need to make easy adjustments possible, if it means cutting something or building fairings to gain clearance, I think you need to do that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Advertise Here