News:

• May 13, 2024, 05:16:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What are these?  (Read 908 times)

Offline Dave Wenzel

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
What are these?
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:23:19 PM »
Hi Gang.
Picked these up at KOI. Do not have ANY experience in Racing, but I am going to try it with a friend.
Any info you can give on these aircraft would be appreciated. Engine size, line length, and what to do to make these calm enough to enjoy instead of all-out Racing.
Enjoyed watching Racing at the Nats this year.

Dave Wenzel

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
Re: What are these?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
The bottom one looks like a bobcat slow rat, published in model aviation in the late 70's.  I think it was a Ballard or Kilsdonk design

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 08:37:46 PM »
Do you want to race them, or just sport fly? If you want to race, the event you want is probably Super Slow Rat. It is an unofficial event, so it is not in the AMA rules. Go to nclra.org for rules, including line specifications.

First, verify that you have the necessary wing area and wing thickness. If so, you will want to get your hands on a plain bearing 25 like the OS 25 LA, Thunder Tiger GP25, or Brodak 25. Then, figure out how far you will have to extend the nose to get the airplane to balance at about 10% of chord. This may be the biggest obstacle. You may also end up shortening the tail end of the airplane. If you can work it all out, great! If it comes down to cutting the wing and tail out of the airplane and making a new fuselage, it may be just as easy to build an entirely new airplane.

If you just want to sport fly it, find an engine that will fit, check the balance, hook up some 60 foot lines, and go have fun!

Offline Dave Wenzel

• 2016 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 06:21:20 PM »
Bill
Thank you for the reply.
Took them to the field to show them to my friend and he latched onto one and refused to put it down. Soooo he's got the lower one in the picture. Just got an E-mail from him and he said a Super Tigre 35 Combat Special fits right in and wanted to know what prop and rpm to look for. He likes speed, I  like fun. Will check on what engines I have and what will fit. Probably try to put in a 25 LA. If he goes real fast, and mine goes fairly quick, we just might run equal fuel loads and most laps wins, or last one running wins.
We both have 60 foot lines but they are .015. Will check out the site you recommend.
And Thanks Again.
DAVE

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here