News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:42:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Virgil Wilbur Memorial Racing Contest (also speed and combat)--Progress Report  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Motorheads,

The parks department was hard at work this morning mowing the grass, working the tables with the string trimmer and trying to finish up with the blower after we arrived. (We were working our own rakes, brooms and blowers and they asked to just let them finish wit 'ta job.)  So with the racing circle and pit area are cleaned off we started to work on equipment. Les and Charlie rolled in during the afternoon. We expect to see a few more guys coming in from distant places. Of course, with the goal of everyone having a good time.

The weather prediction for Whittier looks very good. Pretty much the same as today, warm with a light breeze in the afternoon. Sunday will warm up another 6-8 degrees to the high 80's. Perfect for the refugees from the far north that are routinely seeing 28-32 degree weather already. Remember, Whittier pretty much has its own weather pattern. When the wind is howling elsewhere (we have a high wind advisory out already), Whittier is usually just fine. Sometimes better than average.

All three expected F2CNs were on the field and working on getting the dust off, remembering all the peccadillos, and working on settings with the different fuels. (Three different engines, three different mixes....)  Les is running the rear rotor Nelson. Mike the Profi. Dave the front rotor Nelson. It was pretty warm out, and as usual, the settings were tricky. Mike had a huge advantage in laps. Dave was short on laps. Les was right at the edge. Speeds were all over as everyone looked for something that was raceable.

Mike worked on his Mouser. Had the motor apart looking for improved consistency. Dave never got a Mouse out of the truck, so there's no doubt that will look like a Benny Hill marathon tomorrow. Les got one out, but did not need to run it, having just come from the Dallas doings where presumably he managed to keep the propelle-ator turning in the go-forward direction.

No one got to the SSRs or Clowns. Les is setting up his rent-a-plane SSR tonight.

Dave did get most of the cobwebs off the Formula Unlimited 'Chewstring. The new landing gear helped, according to the rent-a-pilot. Not perfect, but much better. As did reducing the nose weight.

There's a lot on the schedule. We'll see who has what, and what we're going to actually run tomorrow morning. What we have mostly be running the last couple of years are SCAR Goodyears. So we'll probably see quite a few of those on Sunday.

Divot McSlow
"Leaving divots on asphalt across the land"
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 10:41:43 PM by Dave Hull »

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Oh yeah. We had a good number of guys show up for racing today. Some of the equipment hadn't been in out in quite some time...but we got a lot of it working--mostly.

We ran thru the scheduled events for today:  Mouse I, Formula Unlimited, Sixty feet of Clownage, and F2CN. The most popular event today was Mouse I with something like 8 or 9 entries? I'll have to get the official list tomorrow. No crashes, one blown crank, only one injury (non-racing related). The rent-a-pilot/pitman program was entirely successful. Great job, guys.

On tap for Sunday are SCAR Goodyear, SSR/Fox, and Tweaky-R. Oh, and maybe a refly of the F2CN for best out of three. We were all gonna go along with the results until we found out that the new guy won--and did it with an out-of-town gunslinger-type pilot guy.  At that point, the other two teams would have lodged a protest with the FAI event director, but we couldn't actually think of what to call this outrage. It seems kind of weak to say that they ran a good race and we either had flippy problems or a minor equipment failure. So the "WeGone" team got it together when it counted. Outstanding, Mike and Bill!

Speaking of teams, the Canned-Ham racing team had a new member join up so's we could fly Unlimited.  Said race was conducted in a gentlemanly fashion. Thanks, Paul!

More to come.

The Divot

PS--Pete brought down some super nice looking planes. I think two of 'em are so brand new that the paint is still unscratched. Gonna hafta get my grubbies on at least one of them jobbies tomorrow!

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
You know its a great day when no wants to leave.

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Many thanks to Doug Mayer for promoting this event. And to Ron Duly and Dave Braun and Greg and Bob Kerr for all their help timing and scoring.

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
I had a great time coming down south and racing with you guys.  Thanks to all who put on this event. 

Mike Hazel  (from Oregon way!)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
We were really glad to have you, Mike!  Good racin' with you....

Dave McSlow

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Next year I'm going to drive, so I can bring more planes and more people. I can't imagine building a shipping box big enough to carry Mike Greb! (and get ready for more F2CN's)

Bill Bischoff

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Grebby don't box. Not that I remember, anyway. But if he did box, I wouldn't want to be the guy that lets him out. He's bigger 'n me. Be sure to bring him next year!

Also, if you drive, be careful not to leave any airplanes on the roof of the car before you hit the road. (Ask "Jake" where his SSR went....)

Glad you and Carrie could make it!

The Divot

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Next year I'm going to drive, so I can bring more planes and more people. I can't imagine building a shipping box big enough to carry Mike Greb! (and get ready for more F2CN's)

Bill Bischoff
Bring it on Bill! It was great having you and your GF join us. Hope we can come your way next year. Did you say April and September are your big races?

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
End of April and middle of October, typically the week before the Virgil Wilbur.

BB

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here