News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:18:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: legal clown racer  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Chris Sarnowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
legal clown racer
« on: August 30, 2018, 09:29:14 AM »
It seems that there is some variance in the Flying Clown plans that are available.

For example, the PDQ Flying Clown plans from the AMA have a 28" wingspan.

But there's also a set of PDQ Flying Clown plans floating around the internet that have a 26 1/2" wingspan.

Stab/Elevator have a little different size and shape. Fuse lengths are different.

The Brodak kit is more like the 26 1/2" plans.

Which are the legal clown plans? Are there at least a legal set of dimensions (wingspan, fuse length, etc) ?

Thanks, Chris

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
Re: legal clown racer
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 11:52:12 AM »
I designed my kit for the Clown Racer based on the plans from AMA and the attached advertisement. I have heard that there were more than one set of dimensions and shapes for Flying Clown kits through the years.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 12:41:10 PM »
The rules for Clown Racing are managed by the National Control Line Racing Association. They can be found at nclra.org.

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 02:19:57 PM »
So the rule says PDQ Flying Clown or a faithful replica. That implies that any of the PDQ variations or clones of any of the variations are acceptable.

Besides, the flying lines are the same for everyone and the differences among the various iterations of the plane are so minor it really doesn't matter.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 02:23:51 PM »
So the rule says PDQ Flying Clown or a faithful replica. That implies that any of the PDQ variations or clones of any of the variations are acceptable.

Besides, the flying lines are the same for everyone and the differences among the various iterations of the plane are so minor it really doesn't matter.

Exactly!

And you're not a trouble-maker!  ;D
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Chris Sarnowski

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 02:34:27 PM »
Thanks for the input. Basically I don't want to disadvantage myself with a 28" wing, or show up with a 26 1/2" wing and find out it's not acceptable (worse).

-Chris

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 05:10:19 PM »
Thanks for the input. Basically I don't want to disadvantage myself with a 28" wing, or show up with a 26 1/2" wing and find out it's not acceptable (worse).

-Chris

Neither of those things will happen, I'm certain. If it looks like a Clown & smells like a Clown, then it must be a Clown. Don't over think it!
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 05:11:31 PM »
Any bunch of racers will be happy to see you with anything close!!  TS

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 05:36:12 PM »
"Clockwise Forever..."

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 09:56:20 PM »
You might want to go back to this thread:

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/pdq-flying-clown-megow-flying-circus-matt-kania/

This link shows BOTH a 27" and 28" wingspan.

Mine, built to Brodak plans, have 24" of built-up structure and 2" tips, a total of 28", like the kit box in the link.

Paul Smith

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 08:07:40 AM »
If you're making modifications to a kit or building from scratch, keep in mind the following rule:

"Changes in construction for strengthening or lightening that do not show on the exterior of the model are allowed. "

I have bolded for emphasis.
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 10:13:25 AM »

my 2 cents worth . my first clown was a Ken Smith box of Balsa that u made a clown out of .at last count we have built 8 clowns ,the last one being a Brodak kit.
 we have flown them from the No West reg to Brodaks and the Nats and have won our share against some of the best.we were one of the first to do over 300 laps in 15 min (321)

I feel that 4 things make a good clown, the size of the wing not being one of them. #1 a good solid motor mount, #2 an out board wing strong enough that u can catch it without tearing it off time and time again #3 along the same lines ,a tail end that will stay together and not snap off #4 enough wing tip weight to keep it out in windy weather.OH and a tank that will give a good run to the last drop.i use Sig coverall on my wing. it is heavy but very strong.

it doesn't matter if the wing is 23, 26,or 28 in long or how thick it is. just build it and have fun. my thoughts RAD

rad racer

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 11:56:20 AM »
Numbers 2 and 3 are why I designed the Clown Racer kit. It is too heavy for sport flying or OTS, but is very tough to withstand the rigors of pitting. The weight helps with whipping the airplane to the pit man after the engine quits.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 03:41:33 PM »
The guy's in the Northwest ran into this situation shortly after they invented Clown Racing.

I have come to the conclusion that there were at least two versions of the PDF flying Clown produced, possibly more. Some guys actually built their models from original kits, only to find that their models were different from others said to be built from original kits. So, there's a good probability that there was more than one kitted version.
Racers being racers, some of the Clown Race airplanes that showed up at contests hardly represented the original in some areas. This prompted one of the racing event organizers in the Northwest to build an airplane incorporating what he felt were the best versions of wing, fuse, and tail section from plans of all the versions of Clown airplanes he could source, and brought the model to the Northwest Regionals for several years during the events infancy. He basically said "If your model looks like this one, it's not legal".

This was to prevent the usual crossbreeding that racers sometimes find advantageous.

I have a drawing, along with a note, that came from a fellow in the Jersey area named Hilary Kahn. The note confirms the drawing to be a true reproduction of an actual PDF Flying Clown kit. Since my airplane is built from that drawing, I carry along the plan and note to every contest I attend. Just in case...

BTW, a true PDF Flying Clown airplane, never had wing spars.

Les

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here