Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Rat Racing and Team Racing

Tempest

<< < (2/3) > >>

Willis Swindell:
Joey
You flew Jimmy’s red one it was about 10 oz heavier then the rest The 5.8 K&B didn’t help  in the weight department either. My white tempest was the lightest. In later years we used it in fox racing. We still have it hanging on the wall.
Willis  f~

Joey Mathison 9806:
make the kid do all the work. j1 j1

Willis Swindell:
ya a six foot four inch kid.
Willis   **)

Joey Mathison 9806:
you know i had a blast flying at all them racing contest  with you and john.

John Tate:
Here is the beast hanging up in the back of the garage.
I remember the version before this one. It had a problem when I hit the shut-off. I told Willis that it felt like the bellcrank was hanging up on something in the wing. Every time we would it check out, the controls were smooth as silk. Finally the beast got the best of me the last time I applied down elevator to shut it off and it pancaked.  We checked the controls and again smooth as silk. I then grabbed a handle and hooked it up to the lead-outs and started pulling with Willis hold on to the fuselage. Low and behold, the metal (Fox) bellcrank started to bend with considerable pull, (about what I thought it was pulling during the flight). Then I grabbed the pull scale and when the bell-crank started bend, the pull scale read 90 pounds. No wonder my arm hurt at the end of a contest. Then I found out why Willis Swindell, Jimmy Welch and Scott Jenkins like to be the pit men. They were pretty good too.

John Tate

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version