News:

• May 14, 2024, 06:41:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SSR practice at Maloof Sat 5-7  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
SSR practice at Maloof Sat 5-7
« on: May 07, 2011, 06:38:58 PM »
 The monthly meeting / flying day for the NMCCLA is over, and the wind gave us a bit of a break. We started with some field work, filling / sealing cracks in the circle, then got down to some racing practice.

After a few individual warm up / test flights we put up a 3 plane 2 pit practice heat. 3 O.S. 25 FP SSR planes launched and the racing started- My Super Slow was doing ok, but needle was really touchy. When the OS hit its stride I was in the hunt with the other 2, but pit stops / rookie mistakes killed me. Engine wouldn't hot start, once it did i skipped the prop off the ground and killed the motor-broke prop- out for that one.

2nd heat I changed props went down to a 8x6 from a 9x6, engine nedled better and leaned out nicely w/ steady run. A bit of trouble starting, but then I was off, flew pretty good and got somme pointers in circle center from Russ.

1st Pit stop and same thing- no good on hot restart, after 5 mins was ready to call it- thats when it fired up! Pete launched and I figured out real quick I had the handle upside down. The prop was skimming the ground so I gave it DOWN and up it went- thought maybe I could turn the handle over since no one else was up- WRONG!

Pretty much a vertical plant, but thankfully I didn't hit anybody - so I'm good with just a damaged plane. Shound have just nosed it in and killed it on T.O. roll instead of trying to save th flight. Oh well- back to the building / repair board!
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: SSR practice at Maloof Sat 5-7
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 06:02:28 PM »
Line up with faces. Bill's plane was fast...up until. HB~>
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 07:11:42 PM »
Line up with faces. Bill's plane was fast...up until. HB~>

How fast was it?
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 07:31:59 PM »
Don't hold me to this but some 3.7-3.9 second laps were clocked. Fastest plane was a Shy Fox, consistent 3.6 second laps. It did not race due to fuel consumption issues probably due to engine not being broken in enough and slightly rich NV setting. Probably not up to national standards but for club racing, fast enough. 8)

**Lap times corrected. b1
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 08:34:22 AM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 10:44:11 PM »
Russ G. clocked a fe laps on my 1st practice flight - got a couple 3.7-3.9, and it wasn't leaned out due to too much prop.

Looked at it more closely when I got back to the hotel, I still have the rib templates I made, and a cople pieces of CF tube to provide load bearing path through the center section. Stab broke clean at the front of my full length hinge, and the fuse is in pretty good shape.  I'll have it fixed in a few night work, but will have to recover the wing.

Now to get an engine that will re-start without giving the pitman a worn out arm and heat sroke ( sorry Pete!- it ran good on my stooge flights).

I still had a blast- a nice change of pace - and it gets the old heart pumping.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 07:21:59 PM »
Bill,
Sorry to hear about the mishap! (I've done it, too....)

The 8x6 is definitely a better starting point for the FP in a SSR. I've run both APCs and MAs with pretty good results. Do you think your engine is still getting too hot with the smaller prop? I assume your fuel has got some castor in it to help with cooling. A touchy needle seems to be some kind of a hint. A major goal is to get your tank/venturi/needle/vent set up so that the ground setting is nearly the same as the flight setting and the tank runs evenly all the way to the end. If not, you need to work on the fuel system geometry. If so, congrats! That is a major "trimming" accomplishment on any new racer.

If the engine starts well cold (in the plane, not on a stand) but won't start hot then it would seem to be a fuel feed/priming problem or the fit has gone away on the piston/liner. One thing to try is to squirt the cylinder/head with a water bottle after you catch the plane and before you fuel it. If that makes things noticeably better, then you pretty much know how to improve things....  Of course, once you get good with the water bottle, you are qualified to pit a Fox racer, too.

Wish I had got in on some of that club racing!

Dave "McSlow" Hull

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 10:03:33 AM »
Single lap times are not accurate.  Time for seven laps on 60 foot.  Then don't time plane in front of you as it passes.  Pick a point in the back ground as start and end time.  At least that is what I as always taught.  Another helpful hint we were taught, when flying by ones self, the pilot should have arm straight out in front of him while timing.  Seems when you start flying with other planes then the speed will be about the same when the arm is pulled in.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 02:08:02 PM »
Hi Bill

Regarding your re-start isssues. The O.S. 25FP is very typical of a "sport" type engine. As such, they don't don't have a P/L fit that is particularly suitable to control line racing. In a nut shell, there is not enough pinch when at TDC, and not quite enough taper above the exhaust port in the liner either. Still, they can be made to work, and they are capable of single lap times of 2.75 sec's or 19.3/7 laps. However, in doing so, they will get hot, and the P/L won't have enough time to cool during a pit stop and recover what little pinch it had when cold. Adding to the problem is that during the fuel filling sequence, some fuel gets forced through the feed line up and into the venturi. If the engine does not start within the first couple of flips, that fuel has now hit our hot piston and partially cooled it, and now we have no more pinch at TDC and consequently, very little compression. As Dave Hull suggested, the water bottle trick (ie. squirting water in the head) during a pit stop will cool it enough to recover the pinch and allow a decent pit stop. The other thing you can try is to point the nose down and let the fuel drain out of the venturi before flipping. Keep in mind this is only a problem when the engine is HOT. I had to do this with my engine if it didn't start on the first flip or two.
There is a 3rd option, and one that doesn't require water bottles or fuel dumping, and that is to use the Brodak 25 with venturi opened to around 5/16", .330" to be exact. This engine has a much better P/L fit than the O.S. and is a bit faster all around as well. The best part is that with the AAC P/L and its tighter fit, they re-start! Some have said the P/L's wear out prematurely, but I haven't found this to be so in normal race operation. For racing, don't run it in with a stunt type 4 cycle, this keeps the cylinder cool and will cause extra wear on the piston. A fast, but rich 2 cycle is what you want when breaking in.

For props, the O.S. liked the APC 7.8x7 the best, and the brodak likes less load and wants to rev. Mine likes the APC 8x5 Sport. Dave Hull's Brodak likes the 7x6 Taipan.

I hope your Super Fly rebuild works out.

Regards, Les
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:18:36 PM by Les Akre »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here