News:

• April 18, 2024, 05:31:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig kits as used in Ontario  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Sig kits as used in Ontario
« on: August 14, 2017, 11:58:24 AM »
I attended a contest under new rules that mandate the use of Sig Shoestring or Buster kits.  There was some talk of the boredom of only two designs and the fact that a Buster won.  I did some study of the 1/8 scaling of Goodyear racers.  I noted that one modeler rather casually mentioned the intentional use of the -5% tolerance.

The following numbers are listed in this order:  Model, -5%, true size, +5% and Sig kit size.

Buster 21.5", 22.7", 23.8", 24"  (conclusion, the Sig kit is oversize illegal)
Shoestring 27.1", 28.5", 29.9", 28" (conclusion, the Sig kit is within tolerance on the small side)

It looks like if I want really small, a 95% Cassutt could be built with a 19.5" span.  But i'm not really sure smaller is better in this case.

Paul Smith

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: Sig kits as used in Ontario
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 12:36:07 PM »
The rulebook says "minimum consistent scale". I don't think there is such a thing as "oversize illegal" unless the various components are out of proportion to each other, or the tail is more than 25% of the wing area.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 02:22:54 PM »
OK.  So paragraph 2.2 says "minimum" consistant scale of 1/8 and it also says +/- 5%. 

So they could be legal if they built the whole airplane bigger than 1/8 scale and the wingspan was within 5% of new, bigger scale.

Paul Smith

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 06:39:35 AM »
Interesting. I never saw this discussed before although, maybe I just have not paid attention for a few decades. Back in '73 or so I designed my Lil Quickie (never published) and carefully made it -5. This was in the G-15 early Rossi .012x52 era. It was very successful. I built 7 and a few others were built.  I think that in todays world (bigger motors, bigger lines) I would lean between 0 - +5. I still have 3 of them. All very used but useable. Of the other 4 I remember the demise of each as if it were yesterday :'(.   TS

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 12:38:43 PM »
I attended a contest under new rules that mandate the use of Sig Shoestring or Buster kits.  There was some talk of the boredom of only two designs and the fact that a Buster won.  I did some study of the 1/8 scaling of Goodyear racers.  I noted that one modeler rather casually mentioned the intentional use of the -5% tolerance.

The following numbers are listed in this order:  Model, -5%, true size, +5% and Sig kit size.

Buster 21.5", 22.7", 23.8", 24"  (conclusion, the Sig kit is oversize illegal)
Shoestring 27.1", 28.5", 29.9", 28" (conclusion, the Sig kit is within tolerance on the small side)

It looks like if I want really small, a 95% Cassutt could be built with a 19.5" span.  But i'm not really sure smaller is better in this case.

This analysis requires some clarification:

Over the course of its active career Buster was fitted with two different wings. When first rebuilt from the remains of Chief Oshkosh the plane had a 16 ft span wing. For the 1948 racing season the racer was modified with a new wing more along the lines of Bonzo. The new wing had a span of 15 ft - 1 in. It looks like Paul picked up the data for the second wing. The SIG kit is dead on for the first version.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 12:43:06 PM »
Some pics.

Buster is in the collection of the National Air & Space Museum, Smithsonian Institution.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here