News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:02:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: shoestring goodyear  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Kerry Ewart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
shoestring goodyear
« on: January 28, 2021, 12:30:19 AM »
Does anyone have or know where i can get a plan for the original shoestring Goodyear racing plan ..
"If you cannot beat them!JOIN THEM.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: shoestring goodyear
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 02:12:21 AM »
Kerry,

I think Doug Mayer has that one (and many others) for the scale racing class, if that is what you are looking for. You can find his contact info on the NCLRA website. First, look up a 2020 issue of the Torque Roll newsletter and then go to the back to look at the supplier list.

If you are looking for a full-bodied, scaley deal, I would look for a copy of a Berkeley plan. I think they did one of the 'shoe. I know they did the Cosmic Wind in 1/8th scale. (Yup. Just verified, the AMA has the Boickly plan for $8. These were drawn by Paul Plecan had has a lot of great details.)

Of course, there is always the SIG kit plan. It is probably pretty close to scale. These are supposed to be within 5% I believe in order to meet the event rules.

If you are looking for a set of plans for the full-sized Shoestring, that's a whole different deal. But considering the number built, I'm sure they are out there too....

The Divot

Offline Kerry Ewart

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 03:10:30 AM »
thankyou...

kerry
"If you cannot beat them!JOIN THEM.

Online qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 11:14:21 PM »
Does anyone have or know where i can get a plan for the original shoestring Goodyear racing plan ..

PM me your email, I may be able to help.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 06:36:41 PM »

I am going to add to what Dave Hull suggested if you are looking for drawings on the full scale Shoestring.  The Berkeley kit does a nice job of representing the full scale Shoestring.  I am not sure of the size of the Berkeley kit.   I can check but I think it is about 1 1/2" to the foot scale.   S.C Smith did a scale Shoestring in the Sep 52 issue of Air Trails.   1 3/4" = 1' scale for a 33" span.  Plans should be available from the AMA plans service.  If you are looking for 3-views for documentation, there are several sources.  I can make a copy of the Hirsch drawings from his series which covers most of the Goodyear racers.  These drawings are also reproduced in the two volume set by Hirsch titled Goodyear & Formula One Air Racing.  Another source of 3-views is the book by Mendenhall called The Air Racer. These show the Shoestring in several paint schemes that have appeared over the years..  Another source of 3-views, photos and documentation if from Aircraft Documentation Services.  They have thousands of 3-view, photo pack and articles on specific aircraft, include a whole section on all racing aircraft.

Brodak has a kit for a scale Shoestring.  John Brodak successfully competed with this at the Nats.

Keith

Offline beercamel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 04:36:48 PM »

If you just want drawings to build an accurate 1 to 1.5 race model.. here are a few drawings...

ALL AIRSPEED and NO HEADING is how most people plan their lives..   PICK a HEADING!.. And you eventually get to where you want to go!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here