News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:31:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Send in the Clowns  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Send in the Clowns
« on: May 21, 2020, 08:06:48 PM »
Krusty's Klown
1st attempt at a Clown. 19 oz
OS TZ 18 modified to air duty by Jed Jusak.
Fuel tank with integral shutoff by Mark Greenwood UK.

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Send in the Clowns
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 11:06:02 PM »
MuHaHaHa
Thanks Motorman. I didn't realize CF props allowed.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 03:54:53 PM »
Did the first test flights on Mike's Krusty the Klown last weekend. It flies nice--very smooth with a good groove. A lot like Les Akres' plane. Maybe has to do with the same wing construction with the baseball bat LE? This is the first Clown I've flown on the 60' lines. A little harder to whip in the wind. Shutoff was perfect right from the get go. (Mike adjusted it before the first flight.) Pretty much ready to race....

McDivot

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 08:32:04 PM »
Speed? Laps? (and did you fly the new F2CN yet?)

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 09:53:14 PM »
 Davey

Glad to hear of the good results. From the pics, I noticed that the exhaust is lined up to blow back onto the outboard corner of the tank, did this heating of fuel affect the engine run throughout the entire tank?

Maybe a fancy shmantzy exhaust deflector is in the future?

Les

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 01:47:28 AM »
Ahhhh, Les. Love you like a brother--which means you oughten not to point out places whut would be better off left in the dark.

So here's a longer bit of the story:  I got the first two flights since some people have mistaken me for a pilot in the past. I can't be responsible for other people's poor judgment. Both times it ran about 10-12 laps with the first half dozen or so normal, and then a deteriorating run quality until the tank was empty at lap twelve. I went and purchased a piece of sheet metal stock from Claudia, the Pizza Lady (she sells pizza, drinks and chips at the field) and proceeded to cut and form an exhaust deflector that had a prefinished Mountain Dew logo on it. Mike drilled out holes for mounting it on the backplate and we were back in the air in ten minutes. After that, perfect engine runs. I think I took another couple flights, then Mike gave the handle end of things a try while I embarrassed myself flipping, then we switched back and tried some back to back pitting. Good fun. It was supposed to be 99F out, but on the asphalt, it is a bit hotter....

Since I was mostly the pilot guy, I counted laps. I don't recall the times that Mike got. He wasn't leaning on the needle too hard since the engine is new. So speeds and lap counts wouldn't mean much yet.

McDivot
"The southrun half of the Canned Ham Racing Team"

PS--I haven't seen the new TwoSeeN yet. I think shipping from the Ukraine is screwed up from the corona. When we get our grubbies on it, we'll let you know.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 11:08:23 AM »
I've seen photos, assumed they were taken by Mike. Could have been taken by Makarenko I guess. Either way, it's NICE (the F2CN)!

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 10:10:56 PM »
Vova took the F2CN pics. Still awaiting delivery. I believe its in country, so should be here in a week or so.

Regarding Krusty, we had about 8 flights. Motor was slightly rich with a consistent setting (once the Hull designed exhaust deflector was in place) for 33 to 34 laps. Not sure what a competitive time is for 7 laps.

Mark Greenwood's tank was nice with a built in shutoff. It fits perfect in the limited space between the back of the OS and the LE.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here