News:

• March 29, 2024, 03:45:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Royal Rodent fuel tank  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Dave Nyce

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Hooters restaurant on Oahu
    • Revolution Sensor Company
Royal Rodent fuel tank
« on: October 29, 2019, 01:46:27 PM »
I'm building a Royal Rodent, from Harter's Hobby Products.  The plan calls for a "New Darwin R-4 Tank".  A photo of the tank, as shown on the plan, is attached. I have two questions:

1. Is this tank available anywhere? Or if not, where can I get this tank made?

2. I don't see on the plan where the fueling line(s) come out of the fuselage. If anyone is familiar with this plane, do I have to remove the top of the fuselage for fueling?

Thanks!
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 
AMA: L356

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: Royal Rodent fuel tank
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 02:36:55 PM »
I make and sell lots of tanks. I can make you one like the drawing for $20 plus shipping. PM me. I can put the fill and overflow wherever you want if you have a different idea than the drawing.

Bill Bischoff

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 02:48:19 PM »
the royal rodent was an up right pan rat racer by Harters .it came out just after the Midwest Rat which was a two piece all wood take apart kit.Both from back in the 60's the tank. u show is better fitted to the Mid West Rat as it was more or less square in shape. the Rodent used the round Harters proto pan .it used a round tank shaped to fit the pan .when used for racing it had a 3/8 or 1/2 tube that came up through the fuse with a rubber quick fill in it . I am sure there are quite a few laying around from the old 40 rat days maybe some one will chime in with one.
rad racer

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 07:54:56 PM »
I built my Royal Rodent in 1961 and powered it with a Fox 8 - Bolt 35 Combat Special. The fuel tank I used was the Darwin R-4. The engine was set up for crankcase pressure so the rear overflow vent was capped off. As Walt said the pressure vent just cleared the pan and stuck outside the plane. That had to be done so the pit crew plane holder guy could pull off the pressure line while the pit crew motor guy could fill the tank through the fuel feed line. Fast Fills were still in the future. I don't recall exactly how I secured the tank but it didn't seem to be a big deal. The attached pic shows a production Darwin R-4 tank.

Darwin fuel tanks are long out of production.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 09:11:53 PM »
The standard tank for this was the Don's bongo drum, which fit perfectly in the Rodent & the Raider.  It came with the Don's duck call filler.

I've still got a flyable one from 1970.  Sorry, I don't have a pitcher inside.  I haven't had the top off since maybe 1983.

The tank is a tapered cylinder that fits the pan snuggly.  It's secured with Dow silicone bathtub sealer.

The round hole behind the engine is filler, the rectangular thing is shutoff reset.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 09:21:27 AM »
I found one I still have.

They were made by Don Hoyer of Cincinnati or maybe Dayton.  There were the way to go until the early 1970's when rat 40's go so big they wouldn't fit the $2.95 Harters pans anymore.  The bigger more powerful 40's also demanded more fuel.

Paul Smith

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 04:43:26 PM »
Dave,  I have some Don's rat race tanks available if you are interested.  The valves are long gone, but you can get them from Brodak.

1 -  Don’s 2-1/2 oz Rat Race, no valve  -LN     $5.00 ea
2 -  Don’s 4 oz Rat Race,  no valve  -LN      $5.00
1 -  Don’s xtra long “5 oz” Rat Race, no valve LN   $6.00

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 05:30:49 PM »
guess I am too late .was at a stunt contest today and someone was selling a bunch of tanks and I found a Dons tank for $5 so bought it ,if u want it ,it is yours. if not no big thing
rad racer

Offline Dave Nyce

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 09:33:09 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I was not on Stunt Hangar for a while, but saw your responses today.  Thanks!

Mike: what kind of valve? What is it called if I look for the valve on Brodak?

Looks like the tank that I posted from the Royal Rodent plan was 4 cu.in., or 2.2oz.  So the 2.5 oz. size should be good.  I asked Bob if he still has that tank.

I'm not building it for any specific contest.  I have never built a speed plane before.  I saw this kit on Ebay, and thought I'd try to build an old-style speed plane.  Planning to install a Fox 36 (with tongue muffler strapped-on).  Mostly, I've been building half-A planes with the kids at a foster care center.  But occasionally build models with .15 to .46 size engines, and some with electric motors.

Thanks

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 10:37:14 AM »
as I told David ,I still have the tank and will send it to him ,.it is perfect for what he wants ,.it doesn't have the quick fill tube ,only the two vents, easy to set up for pressure.
rad racer

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 04:40:40 PM »
Dave,    take up Bob W's offer, his tank sounds like the best fit for your project.  Besides that,  all my round Don's tanks have now been sold.   

Offline Dave Nyce

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 07:44:25 AM »
Yes, thanks Bob, I would like the tank.

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline Dave Nyce

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2019, 03:29:46 PM »
Thanks Bob, I received the tank.  Is the rubber part supposed to point up, and is it a vent to let air in?  Of the two brass tubes, is the lower one the supply line to the engine?  Maybe I'll get to use it in another plane. 

The tank on the plan is 4" long, this one is 6" long, and it is a little too wide where the brass tubes come out, for it to fit into the metal pan of the fuselage.  I could cut slots into the pan to let the brass tubes stick out, but would rather try to build it according to the plan.

Thanks

Dave

Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline Dave Nyce

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 03:43:59 PM »
Yes, Bob Bischoff, I'd like you to make a tank for my Royal Rodent.  Please make it like the drawing I showed, and also as shown in Bob Heywood's photo (both shown again below).  I'll PM you for details.

Thanks

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline Dave Nyce

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 12:52:04 PM »
Bill Bischoff: I received the tank today.  It's perfect, just like the photo and the drawing.  Thanks!

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2019, 08:33:25 PM »
If you're happy, I'm happy. Good luck with your "fun rat".

Bill

Offline Dave Nyce

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 09:45:45 AM »
Looking at the rules, it seems that only up to .15 size engines are allowed now.  Would a Fox .15 be OK for this Royal Rodent?
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 10:32:20 AM »
Dave,  since you indicated you were building this plane just for fun, the current rules are not relevant.  Stick with your 36 size (or similar) engine.  A .15 size engine will not work well with this, as the pan is way too large for mounting such a small engine, and even if you did put in a small engine, you would be hopelessly tail-heavy. 

Offline Dave Nyce

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 12:19:37 PM »
OK Mike.  Thanks!

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC