News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:55:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New project on order  (Read 2159 times)

Tom Vieira

• Trade Count: (0)
New project on order
« on: December 03, 2020, 09:19:29 AM »
Just ordered one of these fellas:

https://www.aerotechmodels.com.br/product-page/aeromodelo-falc%C3%A3o-tr-2-vcc-u-control

Should be interesting!  i've been attempting to build a Cleaver, and it's not going very well.  Thinking I should probably try a kit first, as I've never built this style of plane before.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: New project on order
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 06:09:00 PM »
Nice project and a good looking airplane!  The price seems good, as well. Do you pay import fees as well as taxes and shipping?

What I'm finding with B-TRs is that sometimes the engineering was never really completed or correct. So the modeler does the best he can. The problem isn't building the airframe so much as installing all the systems so that they fit, are accessible, and nothing is Mickey Moused. I've flown several where the shutoffs were sketchy on their best days and where the fuel line was difficult to install and promptly collapsed when you tried to put the model back together. Of course, you can't see that, so when it won't go you have to pull the cowl again to figure it out....

If you read most of the old B-TR plans, they call out for a Berkeley D&E shutoff. Seems like they were designed to avoid the usual installation issues. I've never seen one, but if they did not leak (air), it sure would be nice to have a handful of those rascals....   My current Veco project is now set up with an F2A shutoff. This has a pull-to-trip (opposite of the D&E?) and will likely require a light compression spring on the trip cable to keep it from fouling the bellcrank....

Good luck with your project and show us some pictures along the way!

Divot McSlow

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 05:07:45 AM »
Very pretty plane and should be good for any motor you choose!  TS

Tom Vieira

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 06:44:48 AM »
Dave,

Good question on import duties and such, no idea what's going to happen with that.  All i can do is wait to see if i get a letter from customs...

As for the shutoff, yeah, that'll need to be worked out, along with the engine mounting as it'll get a Dooling or a McCoy 29 rather than the front intakes it was designed around.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 10:42:19 PM »
Just was curious about the paperwork....

Interesting that you are going "old school" on the engine. Should be feasible since it is a low-wing design. On a shoulder wing you might have some challenges finding room for everything without notching the wing back pretty far.

I managed to track down a D&E shutoff. Looks like a pretty nice unit. I can see why every other design from the era called out for one.

A tasty project!

Tom Vieira

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 05:30:10 AM »
old school event should have an old school engine!!!!!

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 05:13:20 AM »
TJ, Yes, If I built one now it would have a FOX.

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 10:01:49 PM »
whar will you use for bellcrank and horn?  Is wing solid, preshaped or built up?
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here