News:

• April 16, 2024, 11:38:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nelson .15  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Richard Entwhistle 823412

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Nelson .15
« on: March 04, 2020, 09:54:32 PM »
For an expensive lark I bought a new Nelson .15 to try on a North West Clown racier.  I have used two different OS .18 TZs and they are fast but I'm not getting quick restarts.  I'm working on a fix.  I also have used a Novarossi Rex FX15TCVSE.  It is not as fast as the TZs but will restart if you just look at it.  We have won many races with it.  After a crash and a shaft run of only two or three seconds (not our fault) it lost 4 mph and so far I can not get any new parts from Planet Hobby (crank and bearings) because they have discontinued it.  So I'm looking for help with the Nelson.  What kind, size and pitch prop should I start with?.  Do they restart hot well ?  Any tricks to look out for?.  Break in?  The only Nelsons I have dealt with are .36s and I do have all my fingers.

Later
Richard
Richard Entwhistle 823412
Scappoose OR

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Nelson .15
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 11:36:57 PM »
'twhistle,

Are you going to run that Nelson on glow or diesel?  For a dieselly setup, you might want to look at something like an APC 6.5x5.5.  For a glow setup you might go smaller and let it rev more. We haven't run AMA Goodyear in a while, but I recall some pretty small fiberglass props being used. If them NW Clown rules allow custom props you might try Eliminator Props or get a hold of The Eichenburglar. He's got his own set of molds for various different .15 Rat (Nelson) and AMA Goodyear props. Got a bunch of different ones myself to try--if we ever can get a couple of GY planes out there to fly.

I suspect that you will want to check out the fuel mileage carefully on that gorilla motor you bought. And watch yer fingers.

Have fun with it,

The Divot

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 01:31:00 AM »
Hi Richard

If you're not getting good re-starts with the O.S. 18's, and your battery and plug are ok,  then the P/L is either worn out, or the engine is getting a load of fuel in the venturi when filling the tank and on the first flip you're flooded. Usually it's the latter. When that load of fuel from the pit stop hits the piston on the first flip, it shrinks the piston, and you lose your pinch at TDC. A hot flooded engine behaves almost the same as a hot dry engine except the dry engine will sputter when flipping and hot flooded engine won't. I have this problem with several of the engines I've run in Clown Race, and my fix is to dump the fuel out of the venturi after filling the tank, then flip. Usually it works fine, but I do have one engine that likes to start wet, which is unusual for my setups. The tighter the P/L fit, the easier the engine will start hot.

Re: suitability of the Nelson for Clown Race. I have used a Nelson .15 in Clown Race, but not the high timed glow engine. The engine I used was the high timed Front rotor side exhaust Diesel variant with a glow head. The Diesel P/L has timing numbers more in line with what you need for Clown Race (ie. decent speed and laps). If memory serves my lap count on 52's was around 50 laps per tank, and my 15 min. final lap count was around 300.

I haven't run my O.S. 18's in several years. I'm just using my old Moki .15's now.

Les

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 11:16:04 AM »
I used to run a Nelson in Clown until they changed to Brodak rules to LA 15's.  I did 252 laps with the Nelson in the first race I ever flew.

The Nelson made a lot of pit stops compared to the LA and my pilot had a lot of work to do flying at 95-100 MPH vs two planes in the 60's & 70's.

With the LA, the speeds are closer to equal and I was able to do 265 laps once, despite the loss of 20 MPH. 
Paul Smith

Online Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 10:40:46 PM »
Richard,  I have some .15 size racing props in my catalog (ZZProp) that might work.  See you in Portland if not before.

Mike 

Offline Richard Entwhistle 823412

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 12:37:15 AM »
My new Nelson .15 has a small brass fitting just to the rear of the needle valve.  It has a screw with a slotted head and the other side has what looks like a small fitting to put a hose on.  I do not have any idea what it is for or if it would effect how the engine runs.  Help.

Later
Richard
Richard Entwhistle 823412
Scappoose OR

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 09:23:53 AM »
Google "flood off device" a free flight feature to shut off an engine before max time allowed....used  with a mechanical or electronic timer to flood a running engine at xxxx seconds into official contest flight
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here