News:

• May 09, 2024, 10:23:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AMA Scale Race Prop  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
AMA Scale Race Prop
« on: May 24, 2014, 11:08:35 PM »
Never really tried going full bore with a scale racer. Always flew them choked down with some kind of tank size restriction.

I have a couple of good engines I want to test. One is an Irvine 15r and one is a 12mm Nelson. Can someone give me ballpark numbers for prop pitch and diameter and RPM I would want to see on the test stand to get into the 14's.

Thanks,
MM

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: AMA Scale Race Prop
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 07:27:05 AM »
What's a 12 mm Nelson?  Do you mean 12 mm venturi?

I was running a Nelson on the bench and got it over 30,000 on a 4 mm venturi.  I went bigger on the venturi and barely moved the tach.  I keep the diameter under 6 inches to guard against supersonic tip speed and use the pitch that gets the revs.  This is for an event with 10% nitro.

In F2D they mandated a 4 mm venturi in an effort to slow down. All they proved was that the wide open venturis weren't helping.

Paul Smith

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 07:52:09 AM »
Uncle Henry made a .15 with a 12mm crankshaft and one with a 14mm crankshaft. I've got the 12mm shaft version with the biggest hole. Don't know what size hole is on the combat configuration.

MM

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 04:08:38 AM »
Motorman

I've found the Nelson and the GP Rossi's are similar in that to get the power necessary to run in the 14's they really need to rev. From experience I can say that you will want to run 29k on the ground mininum. If you have a strong engine, you should be able to turn around a 6.25" x 4.6" at that rpm. That will get you close. I would start with a 6.25" x 4.75" and go from there.
 If your not getting at least 29k then you can drop the diameter down to 6" if need be and and the pitch down to 4.5" and not lose any airspeed (provided you have a clean model).
You don't really need a large disc area on an AMA Goodyear model. My best prop for my Gillott Rossi was a carbon Gillott Nitro Goodyear prop cut down to 5.75"x5". It gave a consistent 14:99 airspeed, with amazing acceleration off the start.

The thing to remember is that these engines hate to be lugged. They are timed to make peak HP at 30+K which is about what they should turn in the air, so try and run them at that.

Les

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 05:29:15 PM »
Thanks Les, great info, you're a good ambassador to the sport. I got my worn out Nelson fire converted over to pressure. Shaft has .350" hole same as venturi and the exhaust is the early one with the step. Does anyone know if Henry N has parts or did all that go south? Should have stocked up 10 years ago. Still looking for my CF racing props, probably somewhere under all my E stunt stuff.

MM

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 06:59:16 AM »
I didn't know there was a selection of crankshafts.  As of this year Mr. Nelson is still working on engines but not making new ones.
Paul Smith

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 03:00:25 PM »
Ran my clapped out Nelson on a fiberglass 6.25-4.5 (5/16 wide tips) and it turned up 27,000. It definitely needs some parts. Got my Irvine prepped but the weather is bad today.

Anyone running  Nova Rossi engines. I see on Planet hobby there's one with round fins and one with square. Also a 3 port and an 8 port sleeve. Says the 8 port is pipe timing but I suspect it's a mild RC type pipe. Anyone know which configuration is good for Scale racing?

MM

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 11:53:15 PM »
MM

The Nova Rossi is a heavy engine, physically big too. The 3 port version is the one you want if wish to go down that road. Henry should be able to fit a piston to your liner provided it is still round. He might be able to update with an AAC P/L set if he has any left.
In either case, have him set up the P/L fit tight enough for restarts. Most of his customers for the .15 engines have been the Free Flight types of late and he has fit the AAC P/L's so they run fast with little break in. Mine was good for one contest, it's too loose now!

Les

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 12:18:45 PM »
Come to think of it a free flighter got me to lighten up a Nova Rossi 15 and there was quite a pile of chips when I was done.

The Irvine is no light weight either. There was a guy in Russia that was making ABC piston/sleeves for them that would also fit the Rossi MK3. I got one through Ian Manders many years ago. 

How big is your tank? I've got one ounce, how far will that get me?

MM

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 04:52:59 PM »
MM

A 1oz. tank won't get you very far. You need at least 2.25 oz. and I would go with 2.5 if you have the space.

At last years Nat's, I ran my "Stinger" 1oz. Goodyear model with Moki 15 and a carbon prop in the AMA Scale Race event. I had to detune with an APC prop so I could get 35 laps on 60' lines to one stop the heat. Strangely enough, I was competitive with the other entries. I guess that goes to show how much the performance level of AMA Scale Race has slid the past couple of years.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here