News:

• May 20, 2024, 03:46:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to build a Clown for racing  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
How to build a Clown for racing
« on: September 23, 2014, 03:07:55 PM »
I am building a Clown from a Brodak kit for racing. What changes to the airframe are necessary?
I have heard of Spruce LE and carbon here and there.
What seems to work well, and what is the target weight?

Thanks

Mike

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: How to build a Clown for racing
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 04:23:20 PM »
I make the LE from two pieces of 3/8 triangle stock with the mating faces horizontal and a piece of .014 x 3/8 Carbon Fiber between.  Center the CF on the tri stock then the LE can be rounded to a nice radius.
There also needs to be some kind of reinforcement to the fuselage with CF or fiberglass to prevent the dreaded "pit man whip failure".
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 05:30:24 PM »
That all depends on the engine. Is this for Brodak clown or real clown?

MM

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 09:26:47 PM »
Fast Clown
Os 18th

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 10:52:48 AM »
Ok, use the Brodak kit as a template.  Make the fuselage from 1/2" poplar and carve it to a diamond section then get the hardest balsa you can find for the rest of the plane. make all ribs 1/8th and solid trailing edge. You're allowed 1/8th 5 ply birch on the inside of the nose and carve it and the poplar down as much as you can for the cheek cowl effect. Fox 2" bellcrank use the hole closest to the bolt. Use .032" music wire lead outs and .0625" push rod, pull for up and control horn should be 7/8ths from stab to pushrod. LG is 3/32" braced 1/2 way up with .045" wire. Cover the wing with Sig Koverall. 23 Oz. see avatar and this video

MM
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:15:59 AM by Motorman »

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 01:57:42 PM »
Thanks Guys.
I'll start building it up this week.
Hoping our local club goes to 60' lines soon. Or at least an option.

Mike

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 10:07:04 PM »
There are other ways to make a fuselage but I got tired of making hard wood inserts and fiberglass coatings ect and just made it like a 1/2a mouse plane with a solid hardwood fuselage. The clown looks like a flying 1x4 anyway so I went to Home Depot and picked out the lightest straightest grain 1/4" poplar I could find and epoxied two pieces together.

MM

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 04:46:10 AM »
Hi Mike

I used the hardest piece of "C" grain (R/C quality) wood I could find for the fuselage. 5 ply birch for the doubler is good too, unless you are rich and can afford carbon sheet for a doubler. Since you are using the Brodak style of wing construction, it would be helpful to box the spars. And as mentioned, use 1/8" hard balsa for the ribs. You're building a racing plane, not a stunter, so don't worry excessively about weight. Mine weighs around 21.5oz. depending on which engine i'm using, making it one of the heavier Clowns racing. However, it penetrates the wind nicely, and whips on landings better than the lighter models.

Les

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here