News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:12:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Goodyear - Dallas Style  (Read 1271 times)

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Goodyear - Dallas Style
« on: June 28, 2020, 02:41:48 PM »
I had a chance to build a new GY ship this spring. It is a Lil Quikie like the one I first built in 1972. I built it with exposed controls and it currently has regular leadouts with clips. Up front is the Magnum. I am sharing my test results in hopes that people who have been working with the Dallas formula might offer some tips in case I ever get to actually race it sometime.
    The speed was pretty consistent at 22.2 with + 40 laps. We found that it wanted a pretty wet restart. Al had to choke it carefully to fire it up. Is that normal for these? Our Brodak Clowns with LA .15 work just the opposite. Have not worked with props much yet but we were using a Graupner 7x4 that I fiddled with many years ago. Another question. Are prop mods allowed?  What about head spacing?   Thanks,  TS

Tom Vieira

Re: Goodyear - Dallas Style
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 03:01:57 PM »
As for restarts, I have one that just goes, another I'm working on the process for. Though it may need more seating in time.

You're time looks competitive, prop rework is allowed, but you gotta start with a "not fancy" commercially available prop.

As for the head, you can remove one or both shims if you desire....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 06:11:43 PM »
Your time would be competitive today. For a long time, the APC 6.5x5.0 was the fastest prop, but then we discovered the newest series of the Master Airscrew 7x5 (non-scimitar) was about 0.4 sec faster. Prop mods are allowed. More, less, or no head shims are allowed. It sounds like you either need to move your tank outboard or build a wider tank. Your tank IS uniflow, isn't it? Moving the tank outboard would lean the engine, requiring a richer needle setting on the ground. This would get more fuel into the engine for "wetter" pits.  Start by simply putting a 1/4" spacer between the tank and fuse and seeing how it goes. (Loading the engine with more prop will also necessitate a richer ground setting.)

Bill Bischoff

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 05:10:12 AM »
Thanks for replys. This process will take some time due to scheduling between Al and myself. I suspected that the 6.5x5 might not be the best prop based on our many years of flying our Sport Clown event. They run in the same speed range. For yesterdays test I had already moved the tank out 1/4. Better than flush with fuse. Tank is a front feed uni from a Clown. Will keep tinkering as time allows.  TS

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here