News:

• May 14, 2024, 01:49:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cosmic Wind-mid wing  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Randy Snow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Cosmic Wind-mid wing
« on: June 06, 2012, 08:12:41 PM »
Does any one have or know where -- I can find scale drawings for the Cosmic Wind - mid wing -- when my Dad ( Ted ) and I got into Goodyear racing back in the mid 60's Dad had built the Cosmic Wind (4) mid wing -- I did one for my fox .049 -- Dad did the " Little Mike" as well - I did the "Deerfly" -- had a lot of fun flying Goodyear back then - any way -- any help would be great -

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: Cosmic Wind-mid wing
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 09:45:30 PM »
This is from the R.S. Hirsch book of Goodyear and Formula 1 air racers 1947-1967.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:02:10 PM »
Does any one have or know where -- I can find scale drawings for the Cosmic Wind - mid wing -- when my Dad ( Ted ) and I got into Goodyear racing back in the mid 60's Dad had built the Cosmic Wind (4) mid wing -- I did one for my fox .049 -- Dad did the " Little Mike" as well - I did the "Deerfly" -- had a lot of fun flying Goodyear back then - any way -- any help would be great -
I was loaned a book
"GOODYEAR and FORMULA ONE AIR RACING"  Volume two by Robert S. Hirsch ,  On Page 36 there's a three-view of "MISS COSMIC WIND"

I don't have a good scanner, but I hope this helps:

ISBN 1-891118-23-4

Published by:

Wind Canyon Publishing, Inc.
P.O. Box 1445
Niceville, FL 32588-1445

don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline David Russum

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 01:01:35 AM »
Here is the real thing in the museum in Chino - a different airplane than the Number 4.  Straight wing instead of tapered.  This is the one in vol 2 of the Hirsch book...unfortunately I don't have a working scanner, either.  If you want i can probably get it scanned in the next 2 or 3 days...

AMA #335952

Offline qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 02:11:37 AM »
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 04:49:41 AM by Ray Fairall »

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 08:16:39 AM »
The Cosmic Wind and a couple of others were published, with plans< in American Modeler sometime in 1964 IIRC.  These were for the "brand new" Goodyear racing class.  Most showed a K&B .15GH!

They are parts of a Hobby Helpers plan set but I am not remembering the number.  Should be in the AMA plans.

I have the plans for the Berkeley kit, full fuselage, fairly good scale for something like a modern .19.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 08:51:19 PM »
The LeVier planes were not 'mid-wing' but low-wing airplanes.  Three-view gif attached.  Steve_P.

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 05:22:33 AM »
from
http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=7025

hsa some history on the cosmic wind aircraft

N36C "Miss Cosmic Wind" #6 was the fourth racer to carry the Cosmic Wind name. It was a hybrid aircraft, related to the first 3 in name only.

"Fish" Salmon won the 1948 Goodyear race at Cleveland in #4 "Minnow". For 1949, it was decided to extensively modify "Minnow". A brand new tube-and-fabric fuselage was designed and built. The wing was removed from the low-wing #4 and mounted in a mid-wing configuration to the new fuselage. The modified racer was campaigned in the 1949 season, with no real improvement over the original design. After the season, the wing was removed from the new fuselage and re-installed on the original fuselage. A new "barn door" wing was built (similar to a Cassutt wing) and mated to the tube-and-fabric fuselage. Thus was created #6 "Miss Cosmic Wind".

This aircraft was raced with very little success throughout the fifties. Bob Downey owned the aircraft in the early 1960's, and brought it to Reno for the inaugural races in 1964 as "Ol' Tiger" (his nickname). After the races, Bob traded the aircraft to Denny Sherman as part of a deal where he obtained the 1964 champion aircraft, the #14 Miller Spl. "Little Gem". Bob renamed #14 "Ol' Tiger" and raced it with great success for many years. "Miss Cosmic Wind" wound up with Bill Stead for 1965, who raced it as "Little Miss Reno". Bill Stead then traded the aircraft back to Denny Sherman as part of a deal where he obtained the 1965 champion aircraft, the #39 Sorenson Spl. "Deerfly". As a side note, Bill Stead was killed in "Deerfly" (renumbered #84 as "Miss Smirnof") while practicing for the 1966 St. Petersburg, Fl. race.

"Miss Cosmic Wind" made its last racing appearance at the 1972 Pt. Mugu F-1 race, flown by Damon Berry. It kicked around Southern California for several years, until it was donated to the Planes of Fame museum at Chino where it currently resides.
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here