News:

• April 18, 2024, 07:34:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clown pulls too hard  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Richard Entwhistle 823412

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Clown pulls too hard
« on: February 16, 2018, 06:50:54 PM »
I have an older clown that was built around a MVVS diesel.  I did not build it but it is built stout.  It was given to me years ago and has been on the wall for years collecting dust.  It does not have adjustable lead outs.  I just got a new Novarossi Rex RFX-15TC that weighs  9.3 oz.s and that clown was the only one I had that was wide enough to take the engine without cutting lots of wood from the mounts.  The rear mounting holes even lined up.  The clown hangs a little nose down from the lead outs ready to fly.  Just a little.  There is no out thrust.  With the prop the clown weighs 19 oz.s.  I was going to use the clown as a mule test bed for the new engine.  The pilot loves the plane and engine combo as is, no line vibration and grooves like on rails, so he wants to fly it in our April contest except it pulls really really hard.  He doesn't think he can hold his hand to his chest for the 15 minute main and we have not turned the wick up yet because the engine is so new.  Right now we are getting 83 to 87 mph on the radar gun.  I expect low 90s or more turned up. The question.  Would a little IN thrust be OK or a little inboard rudder offset work to lessen the pull and be safe? Should I cut into the wing and move the lead outs forward?  I know getting a younger pilot is a solution but he is great in traffic, left handed and can whip like crazy for pitting.

Later
Richard

Richard Entwhistle 823412
Scappoose OR

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: Clown pulls too hard
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 08:22:41 PM »
On the nclra.org web site, there is a line rake/leadout position calculator. Plug in all your specifics and see what you get. I suspect your leadouts are too far back. Be aware that the lap time parameter is for ONE lap, not 1/2 mile. Best remedy is to put the leadouts in the right place.

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 08:31:10 AM »
Another option would be tail weight, assuming it is actually nose heavy from the heavy motor.
MAAC 8177

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 09:22:43 AM »
Pictures? 
Have you found and consulted original plans?
Pull out the straight edge and check for a warped fuse making the tail out of plane.  Look at how the tail is shaped and positioned.
 Use square and ruler to make sure the fuse is installed straight.  Planes in general can be pretty out of wack and still fly well enough.

What others have said, because i dont know as much about trimming.

I get the feeling you don't want to cut into it, but you might.  Adjustable leads might be in order if you open the wing up.

Phil
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:43:13 AM by Phil Krankowski »

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 03:15:05 PM »
Thank you all for the input.  The lead outs are about 1/2" too far in back of the CG according to the nclra calculator and they are too far apart.  Others here in the North West concur.   Hey, it was built as a Clown per instructions 15 plus years ago.  I'll move the front one to about 1/8th behind the CG.  You all have kept me from a Band-Aid fix.  Thanks again.  One more thing.  The stab to wing distance is about 1/2" longer than a stock clown and the span is one inch longer.  Is it still a "Clown"?
MM we are going to "tip the can" and see if we can close in on your speed. (different plane with an OS .18 TZ, 104 plus with 48 laps so far) Thanks for the lead out tip.
Later
Richard   
Scappoose OR

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 03:40:28 PM »
Hey Richard!  Duct tape his left forearm to his chest.  That should do it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 03:58:32 PM »
Tim
We are counting on you as backup pilot.  You can use your left arm.  Much better for whipping into the pits.

Later
Richard
Scappoose OR

Online C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 07:05:06 AM »
Are you guys using 52'lines?  That's pretty fast. Unfortunately, due to the march of time, we have abandoned the NCLRA clown but are still racing on 52's with a speed limit and 7.5 minute races. Still fun. A few years back Al got a 179 for 7.5 and my best was 172.  Both TZ powered.   TS

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 02:36:21 PM »
Still on 52s in the North West.  C.T.  that 179 and 172 in 7.5 is very impressive in traffic or even solo.  Tod Ryan's NW record of 345 in 15 while racing left him used up for the rest of the day and he was in his early or mid 30's and in good shape.  No one in our group runs that fast today.  It would kill most of us so we scaled back and just want to have some mid speed fun.  If there was some big bucks on the line some might risk a heart attack and the higher speeds.

Lead outs are now moved.  It is snowing in Portland Or.  right now but soon "There will be a sunny day and we will fly our airplanes." Nice tag MM

Later
Richard.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 06:19:26 PM by Richard Entwhistle 823412 »
Scappoose OR

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here