News:

• May 12, 2024, 06:13:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Class 2 Scale  (Read 3975 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Class 2 Scale
« on: September 23, 2012, 11:08:43 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 09:34:30 PM by Motorman »

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
Re: Class 2 Scale
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 09:39:17 AM »
Of your list of restrictions, I think you can accomplish your goal by simply limiting fuel systems to suction only.

Dave

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 11:35:06 AM »
I remember when  mouse racing started.  It used to be the kids(jr & sr's) that had the good times.   They also seemed to have the most fun and flew a lot.   The only reason people have trouble with the reed valve engines or any engine is the lack of practice.   When my son was still flying we got lots of practice.   Even when it was just him, Melvin and myself I would be the pitman.   I would start one and launch him, wait a few laps and start the other  one.   With our practice sessions it was easy to keep them in the air as long as the plane got to the pit man.   But limiting Class II Mouse to plain bearings engines is not going to do it.   And shutoffs should be required on all racing planes in my opinion for safety.   They are not that hard to set up.  Just my thoughts.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 01:12:24 PM »
...   And shutoffs should be required on all racing planes in my opinion for safety.   They are not that hard to set up.  Just my thoughts.
In SOCAL we also thought that shutoffs were a good idea for all classes for safety reasons, so we made it a local option rule.  They can only be used in the "non-shutoff" classes in case of emergency, line tangles, etc.  It's up to the CD to decide afterwards if a re-fly is justified.  So far so good we haven't had to put it to the test ever since we made the rule.   Any tangles have been over so quick the shutoffs weren't able to be used, yup the shutoffs were in the wreackage.  The only minus I've found is that since use during a race for any other reason is a DQ, an inadvertent use has cost us DQs at least once. i.e zoom on takeoff due to wind gust, quick down elevator to recover by the pilot, DQ!
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 02:09:22 PM »
OK, just so we are all on the same page...

Event 316: 1/2A Scale Racing, Class II Scale

Goodyear/Formula 1 profile models, any max 0.0504 CI engine.

In my experience with 1/2A racing, the simplest way to limit performance is require suction fuel systems.  The ball bearing engines don't really have an advantage when the venturi is restricted to suction dimensions. 

The only other restriction I'd consider would be contest provided fuel. Sig has a 35% 1/2A mix that has worked well in my reed valve engines.

Dave

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 08:38:53 AM »
Who said anything about mouse, I'm talking about class 2 Goodyear. I don't think beginning Jrs know how to easily make a shut off. What shut off do you have for a reed valve? If a 1/2a gets loose you can hit it with a fly swatter.

Just trying to put together an inexpensive easy to build and fly package where you don't have custom made anything, no treasure hunt or have to deal with cottage industry crazies. Glue 4 sticks of wood together, paint it, bolt on hardware and go flying.

I haven't got price info on engines yet which is why I'm thinking plain bearing would be cheaper so maybe someone could school me on that. Aren't the BB engines close to $200.   

MM

You mention reed valves and that sent me thinking Cox engines which are 1/2A.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 08:39:54 AM »
OK, just so we are all on the same page...

Event 316: 1/2A Scale Racing, Class II Scale

Goodyear/Formula 1 profile models, any max 0.0504 CI engine.

In my experience with 1/2A racing, the simplest way to limit performance is require suction fuel systems.  The ball bearing engines don't really have an advantage when the venturi is restricted to suction dimensions. 

The only other restriction I'd consider would be contest provided fuel. Sig has a 35% 1/2A mix that has worked well in my reed valve engines.

Dave

Dave, I could live with this.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 01:00:17 PM »
The whole concept of 1/2A has gone by the wayside.  Back in the day:

Babe Bee $3.95
Black Widow $5.95
TeeDee  $7.95

And they were all high quality California (of the former USA) products.  

Now these engines are 10x+ the price and one-third the quality.   Today's "1/2A's" are $150 and higher and have more pwer than an old 19.  

The entry level engine of the 21st century is the LA15 as used in Brodak Clown Racing.

ps: I've been doing reed valve 1/2A racing, and enjoying it, for the last 25 years.  My stuff is pretty well shot with no spares on the horizen.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:01:16 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 07:12:36 AM »
I built the little "Ole Tiger" back in 1974 and it's still flyable today.  I also used the simple trainer in a "no design" reed valve race and the Skyray in a "Skyray" race.  I've got it covered, airframewise.

If I dig deep I can still put together a reed valve engine which I call a "Black Widow" if I need to.  

Problem #1 is that very few others can get an engine together and I end up winning by default.

Problem #2 is that there is no STOCK ENGIBNE rule and somebody (probably on the left coast) made a reed value backend for a Russian combat engine and blew everybody out.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 12:34:24 PM »
I would recommend copying the Brodak Clown Racing rules.  The event has been debugged over seven years and the equipment is available.  The airframe is either the Clown or Circus Prince, both available as kits or easy enough to build from wood.  

The only challenge is making a good one ounce tank, but you need a fuel tank with any set of rules.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 05:41:39 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 05:29:46 PM »
Problem #2 is that there is no STOCK ENGINE rule and somebody (probably on the left coast) made a reed valve backend for a Russian combat engine and blew everybody out.

I think the late Wayne Trivin of Florida was messing with reed valve conversions before the the Cyclon conversions came about. So...I think the idea originated on the east coast. At any rate, I don't believe there are more than 3 reed conversion Cyclons in existence, and I've only seen 2 reed conversions of any kind raced at the Nat's in the past several years. The fact that they exist seems to bother people more than the fact they are seldom used in competition.

Les

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 05:46:30 PM »
East coast - west coast - what's the diff?

The issue is that the framers of the constitution had a Golden Bee, Black Widow or some other off-the-shelf Cox reedie in mind.  Not a Russian combat engine tricked up by a machinist.  That door needs to be slammed - with authority.   I understand that the whole thing could be a hoax, but the hoax needs to be nipped in the bud.   
Paul Smith

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 08:36:24 PM »
If you want to slam the door with authority...then get your rule proposal ready to be sent in to the AMA at the appropriate time. My point was that these reed valve conversions of Cyclons etc. have not killed off Mouse racing in reality, only in theory.

Les

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 07:38:58 AM »
The working alternative is to ignore the AMA Rule Book and fly local events by local rules. 
In all catagories, not just racing, that's how CL survives.
Paul Smith

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 08:12:08 AM »
The working alternative is to ignore the AMA Rule Book and fly local events by local rules.
One thing that bothers me about the Goodyear class, et al, is that they limit you to Goodyear or F1 shapes.

I bet you could get some people into racing by allowing warbird or Reno Unlimited class shapes. Mustangs, Spitfires and Bearcats, anyone?
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 09:20:26 AM »
One thing that bothers me about the Goodyear class, et al, is that they limit you to Goodyear or F1 shapes.

I bet you could get some people into racing by allowing warbird or Reno Unlimited class shapes. Mustangs, Spitfires and Bearcats, anyone?

Sounds like Warbird Race as they fly in the Northeast or Formula Unlimited in the Southwest. Both good events, somewhat different character, but at least FU allows models of ANY plane that ever raced. That still seems to end up being GY or F1 models however.

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 02:03:56 PM »
http://coxengines.ca/

Yep, new 1/2A engines are real expensive and completely unavailable...

Dave

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 08:56:12 PM »
Digging through the Cox website it looks like there might be a TD in the future.  There is a link for them but it says out of stock.  Of course that could mean they had some NOS and they are all gone and does not indicate future intent.

One of the other links I posted was for Norvel/AME engines.  That one looked like another NOS kind of offer and when they are gone...

I just picked up some Picco P0 car engines for $30 each.  They may be a little over size (.051), would require an SG shaft adapter, and a venturi/NV.  But they might be fun to play with.

http://nitrohouse.reachlocal.net/Picco-05-Super-Small-Block-wTurbo-Head_p_8703.html

Dave

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 05:49:44 PM »
IMO Mouse I is pretty much a COX .049 class.  The bad part is getting a good one.  From what I've experienced you need a box of parts and you need to mix and match until you get a good one that works well on that particular day.

There are two suppliers that I know of for Cox parts:
   xenalook.com from Canada.  I've gotten lots of parts from them, very nice people to deal with.
   Coxinternational.com somewhere on the East Coast.  I've had the same experience with them.

Google both, you'll find them.

IMO, the finicikyness of Cox reed valve engines is what has basically killed 1/2A racing.  People just don't want to be bothered with the constant tinkering, same with F2C.  HB~>
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 10:10:56 AM »
If .049 engines are finicky, what is stopping local classes from going for .09, or .10, with some limiting factor that keeps things cheap and simple?

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 12:43:37 PM »
If .049 engines are finicky, what is stopping local classes from going for .09, or .10, with some limiting factor that keeps things cheap and simple?

I remember a Scale Racing class that was developed in Florida in the early '60s.  Plain bearing .15s (K&B GH .15 was popular) and the planes were profile Goodyear racers.  Cosmic Wind, Shoestring, etc..  Very simple and the planes had to be painted as a racer giving it some scale connection. Plank wings, very simple models.

This seems it could be very popular now using he O.S. .15LA possibly, as the required engine.  Of course I would allow basically any plain bearing .15 other than special production racing engines.

I do not know if this class is still on the books. ???

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 05:17:19 PM »
I've never flown in a Class 2 049 scale race..  I built a TD Class 2 scale racer just in case, and ran it in Class 2 Mouse with great success.  Backplate pressure, Fast Fill and shutoff.  Reed valve scale race was very popular at one time.  It was, originally, I think, flown on 008 solid lines which would stick and were a real pain. 

15 size Sport Goodyear is flown in Texas with modern Fox 15s.  It is suction, restricted tank size.  I don't think shutoffs are allowed.  Pit stops required.  It makes no sense to me to have both tank size restriction and required pitstops. 

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 10:07:18 AM »
OK u want your cake and eat it to.. YOU say no custon modified reed valve enginnes than turn around and talk about putting a CS crank in the PICO .that sounds like a custom engine to me.   i have most of waynes custon reed valve engines including his first one that we got 3rd the first time we used it.   there are at least 4 cyclon reed convesions out there ,Holland has one or 2 done by Wayne  and i have 3 that i did that Hallas and i use. they are so much easier to use than the cox's that i will nwver go back to a cox. i watch flyers show up with two or 3 cox engines and not get one of them to run   ,the exception to that is McCollum/lee   and Paul G  .ask them how old thier engines are and i think they are using parts from the 60's and 70's. i have incorparated shut off's on our cyclones worrk great .saved our plane and gave us a 1st place at the 20010 nats.

if we cant get people to come out with the dozens of 1/2 A's that are floating around ,how are we going to get them to build new ones.  i really like the scale racing idea but not the Cox idea. one thought is that there is plenty of norvels on Ebay and they run good
rad racer

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 12:21:11 PM »
Whatever engine(s) you pick, pick something that is in production. It has to be available without searching eBay or knowing the right people.

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 01:06:14 PM »
District VIII and Topeka have been flying "Sport Goodyear" also called "ClassII Scale Race" in Topeka for at least 15 years. Requirements are basically a profile of a Goodyear Racer, .15 bushed engine, (except Fox non-bushed engines are allowed and they pretty well are the norm). For a while the OS 15 was used, too. Fox 15s are still in production, about 75$ new, all their parts are still available from Fox.. No hot-gloves allowed, 10% fuel, 52 ft. lines and you're all set to race. Shutoffs are allowed.

To get an idea of what they look like, I've pictured my "Polecat", designed by Mike Greb. There are about three more "Polecats", including Mike's. Bill Bischoff flies the "OHM Special", "Lil Quickies" are popular with Melvin Schuette and Kevin Seaton.

Phil Dunlap and I have campaigned this very same airplane for about twelve years, they are very robust.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 03:30:05 PM »
Dale, you may have missed the fact that they are talking about a 1/2A event. Class II means "not restricted to reed valve engines".

BTW, what about the Brodak .049? Anybody have experience with one of those?

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 09:43:11 AM »
they are talking about a 1/2A event.
I thought this was about a fun low tech event that might stir up interest with the kids.

For that I would not worry too much about engine size. Among the important keywords, I'd include: Available, Affordable, and Reliable. It has to be easy to operate.

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 09:30:44 PM »
Well, Bill, I think they were, and then they weren't. I was just taking advantage of the different definitions of "Class II" to get in a couple of my Polecat pictures. It's such a cute little plane, probably my all time favorite.

Saw you at the meeting, but not at El Fenix? LB texted Gravy and he is going to be down in Houston.

Thanks,
od

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here