Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Rat Racing and Team Racing

B/TR

(1/3) > >>

bob whitney:
when I mentioned to McDonald bout having B/TR again at the nats ,he said great ,u run it
 we relaxed the plane rules a bit which gave us some better flying planes that we wouldn't have had and we put in a 100 MPH max rule and like sport good year ,it was one of our bigger events
,by the3rd year there was a lot of grumbling about the speed limit.i had a meeting and let the flyers vote yea or ney ,it was almost unanimous to drop the speed limit and with in 2 years after the webra 28 was found B/TR was all but dead because it became too fast and left the just for fun guys behind

which shows that the flyers don't always know what is best .someone has to stand up and say this is how it is .the Texas group have done that with sport good year

john e. holliday:
If I remember right the late Ken Smith wanted a max speed of 90 mph.  It was to be tried at VSC but the wind gods prevented it from happening.  I would finish my Red Skin if speed was limited to 90 MPH. D>K

bob whitney:
yea, Keith and I sat in the hotel room all that week end.it wasn't the wind, it was the rain.we were to fly after  stunt was done but it shut everything down.

Dave Hull:
Bobber,

Working on a Super Slow B-TR right now (again).  It has the documented "Whitney clipped wing" as applied to the Veco kit from back in the day. Just put in the top block alignment pins and waiting for the epoxy to cure. Once I get the block tied down, I can do the final sanding. Trying to go with a smaller than standard spinner. (Old .15 pylon spinner.) We'll see if there's enough meat in the nose to keep motor bits from poking out in unfortunate places.

The key to the whole deal was finding a shutoff that didn't Mickey Mouse the whole installation of tank, fuel lines, etc.  We'll see if that works out....

Using a specially detuned OS .25 FSR. First I detuned it by hitting the ground hard in a previous plane. Next, I got out my Buck files and filed all over the head to reduce the compression for a good 4-2-4 race setting. I think I hit it with a hammer a couple of times too, but can't remember for sure. It should be ok though, I always use brass hammers to fine tune old engines. They are especially useful on sticky needle valves....

Since I'm sticking close to home, I may actually finish construction soon. Since I hate painting, it may sit waiting for covering for a while, though.

Mike wants to try some bracket racing, since we're short on guys. I'm a little concerned about that, though. How is it going to look if my brand-new SS B-TR can't outrun a shelf mount?

Divot McSlow

C.T. Schaefer:
I suppose that if you had a speed limit it would not matter which engine you used.  TS

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version