• March 28, 2024, 05:17:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: B/TR  (Read 2196 times)

Offline bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
B/TR
« on: August 20, 2020, 03:16:00 PM »
when I mentioned to McDonald bout having B/TR again at the nats ,he said great ,u run it
 we relaxed the plane rules a bit which gave us some better flying planes that we wouldn't have had and we put in a 100 MPH max rule and like sport good year ,it was one of our bigger events
,by the3rd year there was a lot of grumbling about the speed limit.i had a meeting and let the flyers vote yea or ney ,it was almost unanimous to drop the speed limit and with in 2 years after the webra 28 was found B/TR was all but dead because it became too fast and left the just for fun guys behind

which shows that the flyers don't always know what is best .someone has to stand up and say this is how it is .the Texas group have done that with sport good year

rad racer

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: B/TR
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 05:23:09 PM »
If I remember right the late Ken Smith wanted a max speed of 90 mph.  It was to be tried at VSC but the wind gods prevented it from happening.  I would finish my Red Skin if speed was limited to 90 MPH. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 05:58:34 PM »
yea, Keith and I sat in the hotel room all that week end.it wasn't the wind, it was the rain.we were to fly after  stunt was done but it shut everything down.
rad racer

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 02:54:00 AM »
Bobber,

Working on a Super Slow B-TR right now (again).  It has the documented "Whitney clipped wing" as applied to the Veco kit from back in the day. Just put in the top block alignment pins and waiting for the epoxy to cure. Once I get the block tied down, I can do the final sanding. Trying to go with a smaller than standard spinner. (Old .15 pylon spinner.) We'll see if there's enough meat in the nose to keep motor bits from poking out in unfortunate places.

The key to the whole deal was finding a shutoff that didn't Mickey Mouse the whole installation of tank, fuel lines, etc.  We'll see if that works out....

Using a specially detuned OS .25 FSR. First I detuned it by hitting the ground hard in a previous plane. Next, I got out my Buck files and filed all over the head to reduce the compression for a good 4-2-4 race setting. I think I hit it with a hammer a couple of times too, but can't remember for sure. It should be ok though, I always use brass hammers to fine tune old engines. They are especially useful on sticky needle valves....

Since I'm sticking close to home, I may actually finish construction soon. Since I hate painting, it may sit waiting for covering for a while, though.

Mike wants to try some bracket racing, since we're short on guys. I'm a little concerned about that, though. How is it going to look if my brand-new SS B-TR can't outrun a shelf mount?

Divot McSlow

Online C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 05:22:45 AM »
I suppose that if you had a speed limit it would not matter which engine you used.  TS

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 06:06:31 AM »
I hear the Ukrainians make a super trick, all composite bracket if you want to dominate bracket racing.  VD~

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 06:11:08 AM »
In UK and Australia, people have managed to keep B/TR scenes going by restricting model design to "conventional" styles and specifying what engines can be used. Obviously, the engines need to be something that people can actually obtain.

Rules:
http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=839

http://clamf.aerosports.net.au/?page_id=461
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Tom Vieira

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 06:37:31 AM »
I'm all for giving team race a shot!  love the art-deco meets steampunk look of the planes!  i'm not a fan of spending insane amounts of money on an engine in what boils down to a single engine single design class (kinda like what AMA goodyear and clown has descended in to).

I think why Sport Goodyear has blown up is exactly due to a reasonably priced spec engine and no mods allowed.  It makes entry in to the sport very easy, and somewhat pain free.  If we could do the same with B T/R, might be on to something....

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 09:25:59 AM »
I suppose that if you had a speed limit it would not matter which engine you used.  TS
Except you wouldn't have a RACING event then.  >:(
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 09:58:20 AM »
I've watched NASCAR with restrictor plate racing.  Watch local racing events with what is called crate engines.  The Texas Goodyear racing with engine restrictions is working so far.  But, it seems every time we get an engine for an event it disappears over time from being manufactured.  Of course now I would have to drive almost 200 miles to practice, if I had some one to practice with. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 11:49:31 PM »
The British "Barton B", with very limited engine choice and "old style" airframes is slow. The current record for the 150 lap final is about 6 minutes and 15 seconds. That works out to 2.5 second average laps - including pit stops.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 01:31:19 AM »
I think Ron Duly still owns the fastest "B" tr. I remember him saying right around 120mph for airspeed, (and about 27oz. weight). I know Bill Lee ran one right near the end and captured nearly all the records, so maybe it's a toss up between those two airspeed wise.

If I ever build another "B" Tr, I'll likely just use the Brodak .25 that I currently use for SSR. I'm thinking of an airspeed similar to SSR so I could run .015" braided lines. Might have to run a smaller carb choke size to get there, we'll see.

Les

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 10:52:25 PM »
They were touching 120 mph with the ST 21/29s , back around 1974 .will try & post the Aeromudler Mag kiwi T R article .

Got a pile of 21/29s , FI & RV . A Enya 29 BB round intake , the old 5224 I think, new . Ditto a russian ETA 29 clone .
Got the wings done for a classic B .Long Gone . Some details here : http://www.clamf.aerosports.net.au/newsletters/ACLN/Issue71.pdf

« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 08:53:32 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 02:56:01 AM »
A little bit of progress on my "Super Slow" Veco B-TR. I managed to get the tail feathers glassed without screwing it up. I had to use a substitute for the normal plastic sheet I use in the press and didn't have a good feeling about that....but it came out ok. Have to figure out where I left off with the rest of it, now. I think I was halfway thru putting in the top hatch attach hardware. Going to try some nagmets on this one. Probably the next painful part is to thread the pushrod (already installed in the planked wing) up thru the partially sheeted fuse and trying to solder the connection inside near the tail....

Divot McSlow

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here