News:

• April 17, 2024, 10:49:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Foxberg planes?  (Read 798 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak Foxberg planes?
« on: May 12, 2023, 12:56:19 PM »
I was a bit surprised when I took a close look at the entry form I got via US Mail.
For Foxberg Racing it lists only the Shoestring, Buster, and Cosmic Wind.

But the more detailed on line rules still include the Flite Streak and Lighting Streak has they have since 2007.

I hope this is just a typo like many others in past Brodak paperwork.  In my Brodak experience dating back to 2005 (not the discovery of Earth) such differences have always been resolved in the more inclusive way.

https://brodak.com/racingrules
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
Re: Brodak Foxberg planes?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 04:13:34 PM »
Hi Paul!  I was a bit confused about the Brodak racer as well.  I bought mine back when the kit/plane was first released (I owned a hobby shop back then) and wanted to come up to the event.  Unfortunately, I was informed via a phone call and then reading something where it was not going to be allowed.  I never understood why but, I never challenged it either since I was pretty sure I'd never win with my Fox 35 because I don't know how nor do I care about modifying/cleaning any of my engines.  Maybe I'm lazy but I run'em just like they came out of the box!!  Considering they way I fly, maybe it's just as well because that plane is still hanging on the rack just like I built it.

Jim

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Brodak Foxberg planes?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 06:42:21 PM »
I flew it the first time in 2005 as the pilot of a Shoestring with a Fox 35 Stunt.

In April of 2006  I was building a Cosmic Wind with a Fox 35 Stunt.  Then the Brodak Fly In flyer arrived in the mail and the LA 25, Brodak 25, Flite Streak, and Lightning Streak had been added to the list.   The explanation was that Mr. Brodak didn't want his products excluded.

In addition, while a few people did OK with the Fox, a lot more preferred the OS.  As explained to me by the recognized King of Fox Stunt, step one is to get a dozen of them and sort out the best two.  With the OS Max LA or FP, it's two out of two.

I built two Lightning Streaks, one with the OS 25 and one with the Fox 35 Stunt.  While the OS is clearly a higher quality product, 40% more swept volume is a lot of cubes.  Testing proved to me that the OS 25 is the way to go, but a few guys still use the Fox and do OK.  I like my Lightning Streaks, but good builders can match my speed with Goldberg products.

To me, the clear advantage of the Brodak Lightning Streak is the ability to build it with off-the-shelf wood, not machined LE & TE.   But once, it's built, it's a wash.  To me, the key element of a people's event is the ability knock out a couple units in a week and have as much chance to win as the next guy.

For a few minutes, I thought that I had been skated out of the event, but a double check of the posted long version of the rules jives the 2006 edit.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here