News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:13:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak fox race  (Read 4377 times)

Online bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak fox race
« on: August 12, 2018, 01:20:29 PM »
did I see somewhere that there was going to be a fox race next year at Brodaks.  if so what are the rules and what is the diff in fox racing and what they are doing now
rad racer

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: Brodak fox race
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 01:59:28 PM »
FYI, the NCLRA has voted to allow (NCLRA legal) Fox Racers to fly with the Super Slow Rats next year. Joint races, separate awards.

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 05:47:10 PM »
that's where I saw it, thanks
rad racer

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 08:47:49 PM »
We haven't had any issues when flying SSR with Fox racers in the same heats out here. If it even added one entry it was worth it to us. The only issue that might be raised is that one group (or the other) might contend that the "traffic" was slowing them down, and messing up the record status--at the NATS.  I haven't seen a fox racer run close to the record time for an awful long time now, so maybe no worries?

McSlow
SoCal Racers

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 09:22:09 PM »
Who knows? The unthinkable may happen, and we get two, or even three (gasp!) Fox racers, and then they fly against each other. Can you imagine? Oh, the humanity...

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 07:50:10 PM »
did I see somewhere that there was going to be a fox race next year at Brodaks.  if so what are the rules and what is the diff in fox racing and what they are doing now

They always have Foxberg at The Brodak.  For the last 12-to-15 years they have ALSO allowed OS LA and Brodak 25's.  While rare, Fox 35 Stunts are still legal in Carmichaels.
Paul Smith

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 08:25:13 PM »
They always have Foxberg at The Brodak.  For the last 12-to-15 years they have ALSO allowed OS LA and Brodak 25's.  While rare, Fox 35 Stunts are still legal in Carmichaels.

That may be, Paul, but Foxberg and Foxrace are two entirely different events.
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 08:19:44 AM »
True enough.

Brodak Foxberg and Brodak Clown are unique events, seldom flown elsewhere.
Paul Smith

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 04:27:53 PM »
Subtleties aside, FOXBERG is shorthand for Fox-Goldberg, which implies Fox 35 and Goldberg Shoestring, Buster or Cosmic Wind (or clone). FOX RACING is essentially Fox 35's on slow rat airframes.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 07:25:56 AM »
Right.  Foxberg includes Goldberg racers with Fox 35 Stunts, and in Carmichaels also Flite Streaks, Lightning Streaks, LA-25's, Brodak 25's a hot dog and a bottle of Rolling Rock.
Paul Smith

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 08:17:23 AM »
Right.  Foxberg includes Goldberg racers with Fox 35 Stunts, and in Carmichaels also Flite Streaks, Lightning Streaks, LA-25's, Brodak 25's a hot dog and a bottle of Rolling Rock.
Maybe they should call it "Broberg" or "FoxBro" or something! Might avoid the confusion since it isn't REALLY Foxberg.
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 08:25:14 AM »
The rules change came out circa April 16, 2007.  I had a Fox-powered Cosmic Wind 60% complete.
I dumped it for two LA-powered Lightning Streaks and lived happily ever after.

When you own the field, the contest, the city, the county, the beer franchise and are the landlord of the courthouse you can name the event what you want.

And also free food Friday evening.

Also, if you show up with a "real" Foxberg you can still enter.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 11:32:15 AM »
Maybe so.  I've never looked inside one.  I'm just a satisfied customer, not the organizer.

Since the revision of 2007, we've had stable equipment rules, which is a GOOD thing.  They did make separate Sportsman and Expert classes, based on your best time.

Mark Warwashana who still runs Foxes, won Sportsman and upgraded to Expert this year. 

I just use the old Marvin Denny method.  Try several engines and use the one that's running best on the day of the contest.
Paul Smith

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 12:30:44 PM »
If you call it "Broberg", people may think it has something to do with Du-bro.

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 06:06:25 PM »
Rules carefully state the the motors must be stock. Mine is stock and runs right with the next one (Mr. Paul) so I suppose that one is stock too.  Way to easy to spot that brass sleeve. It would be embarrasing!!  TS

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 02:52:45 PM »
Well, I like the sound of both Broberg and FoxBro but all coolness aside, they don't quite match up to the equipment rules, either. I think an equally, not-quite-right name would be OSLARat, pronounced sort of like Ocelot. It stops trying to define the airframe requirement around something it isn't, and at least captures the majority of the engines that seem to show up.

I think Bill may have a key point here, too. The rules could  be updated to include a requirement for one stock Du-Bro part somewhere on the airframe and one Goldberg part somewhere. Then it would be righteous to call it Broberg. They would probably go faster, too. At least during bench racing.

Or not.

McSlow

PS--Maybe we could get OS to share the secrets of their 25LA "team race fits" with Profi? I sure coulda used that during my last go at it....

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 07:54:49 PM »
Now that you mentioned it, they DO require a DuBro (or Sullivan) 2 ounce plastic fuel tank.

I took this as sort of a pain in the butt, but after siliconing them on in 2007, they haven't caused me any trouble.

I guess the logic behind this was taking the advantage away from expert tank-makers.
Paul Smith

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 06:53:22 PM »
As a casual observer and someone who has been timing and counting laps at Brodaks Foxberg event......the La 25s seem to be considerably faster than the Fox powered models.....but the winning planes are capable of going farther on a tank of fuel or have faster pit stops or a combination of both.I'd love to compete in the event but my bum right leg would not allow me to go around in circles 200 times or run to retrieve a plane on the other side of the circle......PhillySkip

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2018, 10:00:11 AM »
No matter the type racing plane or event the pit man should never have to go retrieve a plane, unless he can't catch it on landing.  I guess that is why I don't have a pilot as if they landed any where but where I could catch it practicing, I made them retrieve the plane and bring it to me.  As a pilot I got to where some times I could get the plane to a pitman. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2018, 12:50:06 PM »
Flying Clown at Brodaks ,I fired my Pilot  (JOKE) after he forgot that we had changed pits and he made a perfect landing on the other side of the circle  HB~> LL~
rad racer

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2018, 08:34:49 PM »
Flying Clown at Brodaks ,I fired my Pilot  (JOKE) after he forgot that we had changed pits and he made a perfect landing on the other side of the circle  HB~> LL~

At least he didn't run out of the circle before the race was over!

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2018, 09:55:02 PM »
Yeah, but it isn't always the pilot that screws up. I had to get after a pitman that went into the circle to catch my airplane once. Now that shows determination, but the problem was we had switched teams and he was supposed to pit someone else's plane, not mine....

After he stopped yelling at me for such a bad approach, he filled her up and flipped. I got back in the race real good. Not sure what happened when another plane showed up right after that....

Pitmen. Ya gotta love 'em. They make the planes go around....

McSlow

Counter-proposal on the rules: if the plane has a Goldberg sticker on it, and meets the dimensional requirements, it's legal?

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2018, 10:16:30 PM »

At least he didn't run out of the circle before the race was over!

and the wound had almost healed
rad racer

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2018, 06:07:44 AM »

Counter-proposal on the rules: if the plane has a Goldberg sticker on it, and meets the dimensional requirements, it's legal?

You need to be careful with the sticker placement. You don't want the "CG" too far aft!  ;D

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2018, 07:03:57 AM »
At The Brodak both Clown and Foxberg are flown without shutoffs and on a grass circle.

Thus, the engines sometimes sputter to a stop in the wrong place.   

So while it's best to hit the pit, not every pilot is able to do it every time.

In some cases the pilot is better off at least getting the plane in the better half of the circle rather than trying to whip a full lap and failing.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2018, 08:43:24 AM »
At The Brodak both Clown and Foxberg are flown without shutoffs and on a grass circle.

Thus, the engines sometimes sputter to a stop in the wrong place.   

So while it's best to hit the pit, not every pilot is able to do it every time.

In some cases the pilot is better off at least getting the plane in the better half of the circle rather than trying to whip a full lap and failing.

How true! Seen what happens when that goes all wrong...
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2018, 09:17:00 PM »
Am I missing something here, Paul? Why does the combination of no-shutoffs and grass mean a pilot can't put it into his sector? Is the grass wet or something that prevents whippage? Or are the planes just set up too light and it's windy?  I don't get it....

McSlow

PS--Bill B. you need to be careful to put them Goldberg stickers in the right place--it is counterintuitive. He came out with them for the little free flights, so they add lightness. I put them on the nose of all my nose-heavy jobs....

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2018, 06:52:40 AM »
Am I missing something here, Paul? Why does the combination of no-shutoffs and grass mean a pilot can't put it into his sector? Is the grass wet or something that prevents whippage? Or are the planes just set up too light and it's windy?  I don't get it....

McSlow

PS--Bill B. you need to be careful to put them Goldberg stickers in the right place--it is counterintuitive. He came out with them for the little free flights, so they add lightness. I put them on the nose of all my nose-heavy jobs....

The first thing to remember is that at The Brodak many, if not most, of the competitors are not hard core, seasoned racers.

In 2016 I was pitting for a fellow club member. Our engine quit a little past our pit so the pilot elected to bring the plane around. While pulling the plane he got out of the center a bit too far and tripped over another pilot who was way out of position during his pit. The whole thing was not pretty. So...stuff does happen.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2018, 08:18:23 AM »
That is why I think all racing planes should have a required shut off.   They are not that hard to set up.   S?P

Also to me it is a safety factor. D>K

Another plus is for practice you can get a needle setting with out running out a full tank of fuel. Z@@ZZZ
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2018, 10:34:35 AM »

McSlow

No matter where you put the sticker, that's where the "CG" is. I'm sure we've all seen planes with a "CG" on the vertical fin. How's that supposed to fly?

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2018, 11:48:16 AM »
The first thing to remember is that at The Brodak many, if not most, of the competitors are not hard core, seasoned racers.

In 2016 I was pitting for a fellow club member. Our engine quit a little past our pit so the pilot elected to bring the plane around. While pulling the plane he got out of the center a bit too far and tripped over another pilot who was way out of position during his pit. The whole thing was not pretty. So...stuff does happen.

some pilots don't know which line to land on y1
rad racer

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2018, 05:08:27 PM »
some pilots don't know which line to land on y1

"Not a real green dress, that's cruel..."

I liked it better when we didn't have lines...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 05:59:19 PM by Bob Heywood »
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2018, 05:29:26 PM »

McSlow

No shutoff means the engine stops where ever it runs out of fuel.
No shutoff means that for some people the end is bitter, not sweet.
On pavement the plane can coast a quarter-lap.
On grass it sticks or flips where it comes down.

That being said, Experts still hit the pit maybe 75% of the time.
Sportsman tend to land 180 degrees off 50% of the time.

Paul Smith

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2018, 01:08:56 AM »
Ok. That explains things better. Sounds fun, but a bit more of a carnival than I assumed. Thick grass could be a big deal unless you go with Renegade Rules.

We had a team out here a while ago that seemed to like mid-air catches. The pilot was working on whipping skills, but half the time it seemed like he would still be airborne when he went by the his pit. His pit man, though, was really good. No problem at all for him to catch it, put it on the ground and start it. If you actually practiced this on purpose instead of by accident, it would be great over long grass. No tumbles and no landing short. Pretty much illegal under current rules, though.

McSlow

PS--Bill, I think you're telling me that all them free-flighters trim for aft CG, so that's where they put the sticker? On the rudder? That finally makes sense....

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2018, 05:28:53 AM »
Yes, normally the Brodak race is a bit of a carnival. In comparison, this years race was a wild west thrill show!! We won because we survived. Al was on his game and was able to avoid the many distractions that occurred during those 200 laps. The plane behaved well in the pits also.  TS

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2018, 02:12:28 AM »
Sounds like you mastered it, C.T.  What was your secret? Pick the pit farthest away from everyone else? Iron fuselage? New P/L? Water bottle restarts? Pilot bribes? Threats? Lucky rabbit's foot?

McSlow

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2018, 05:26:36 AM »
A good bit of our success this year was the rabbits foot  H^^   TS

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2018, 02:08:08 PM »
I can't speak for everybody, but for us the Brodak Foxberg and Clown are once-a-year events that involve bringing out last year's stuff and finding a pilot at the last minute. 

There are Stunt and Carrier going on at the same time.

You can't always get the pilot you want but you can get the pilot you need.
While not optimum, this helps more people get involved with racing.

Then if you are able to qualify on two teams, there's the repicking of crews for the final.  This is nice because some of those who failed to qualify get another chance at a prize.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here