News:

• May 12, 2024, 07:49:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Golden Age Racers .40 size  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Golden Age Racers .40 size
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:54:01 AM »
OK, this topic was VERY old, so I am revisiting it.  Back about 10-15 years ago, there was a class of racing that was held in the Columbus area (IIRC) that featured full bodied scale racers from the '40s.  These were powered by hi po .40 engines (of the day! LOL!!).

I really desire building one, and would like to know what plans would be available.  They may have been around 1 1/2"=1' scale.

Any info?

Thanks!
Bill
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:04:24 AM by Bill Little »
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: Golden Age Racers
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 09:28:46 PM »
Theres some Aussies building some with .40 4 strokes .info on Barton forum .

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Golden Age Racers
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 12:03:52 AM »

Thanks, Matthew!  I hope all is well with you.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
Re: Golden Age Racers .40 size
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 09:26:42 AM »
Bill,

As I recall, the Cincinnati, OH club, Queen City U-Controllers, ran this event for awhile. The planes were all scaled to a 36" span. Most of the ones I saw were one offs from the builder's own drawings.

The AMA Plans Service has a Keith-Rider R-5 Marcoux - Bromberg Jackrabbit, plan # 21874. I'm sure there are others as well. The neat thing is that all of the plans have been scanned so the plans guy can factor the plane of your dreams to 36". All you might have to do is figure some of the wood sizes.

Bob

P.S. Late thought: The guy that runs the Cleveland Model plans company will also scale to any size. Cleveland has most of the Golden Age race planes. Again, you would have to work out some of the wood sizes, but all the shapes are there.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 10:07:23 AM »
Hi Bob,

It must have been the Cincinnati guys (?), I do remember "Ohio".  I was recently looking at some Cosmic Wind plans/materials  that I believe you are familiar with.  The old racers carry a certain level of attraction for me.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 10:19:57 AM »
You must mean this thread:
http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6517
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:02:31 PM »
Hi Bob,

It must have been the Cincinnati guys (?), I do remember "Ohio".  I was recently looking at some Cosmic Wind plans/materials  that I believe you are familiar with.  The old racers carry a certain level of attraction for me.

Bill

Bill,

So, what is your favorite 1929 - 1939 racer? Mine is the 1939 Schoenfeldt Firecracker. I have Vern Clements' plans in the necessary scales to do just about anything. The long nose makes things a bit dicey, though.

And yes, the Cosmic Wind racers are still a favorite as well.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 12:09:51 PM »
Hi Bob,

I like the Firecracker a LOT! ;D  The Folkerts is another in the same general "looks" category, right?  I remember the Monocoupe, in particular as one that had been built by the group.  These were what appeared to be very "SCALE" models.

I tend towards the later Goodyear Racers, and have been slowly collecting various plans for them.  So far I have a couple rather "large C/L" plans for the Cosmic Wind series and the Shoestring.  I may simply build a Shoestring for now with one of those honkin' .40s that were gifted to me. ;D  Being there is no actual activity anymore in the "class" I guess it is just a matter of preference now as to what is built. 

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 02:21:45 PM »
Yes. There were some really nice models in that group. The one thing that became a factor was the fixed 36" wingspan. Planes like the Folkerts racers were put at a handicap because they ended up with large fuselages.

Certainly, the postwar midgets make some great models. The full size rules were tailor made for us.

So, pick your favorite and build away.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline raglafart

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 05:00:15 PM »
Hi
I'm one of 3 that are putting together some Golden Age racers, we chose 1/8th scale and for some extra appeal and nice sound effects chose a maximum of 60 size 4 stroke engines.
Mark is building a Gee Bee, I'm doing a Pescoe Special and I think Geoff Potter is building a model too.
I bought a set of the Cleveland plans for the Pescoe and have also enlarged some pretty good 3 views to 1/8th scale and will be using the best compromise of the two.

Here is a link to the thread on the Barton site and the full discussion there.

We were thinking along the lines of also allowing electric fingers to maybe encourage a few more to have a go  #^
John Goodwin

AUS 21261

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here