News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:41:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mouse racer on eBay  (Read 2969 times)

Offline Bob Wiegand

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Mouse racer on eBay
« on: December 08, 2016, 01:14:47 PM »
Question: How is the hot spot hooked up on a mouse like this?  I see the wire to glow plug, but where is the other connection?

Here is the link:    http://www.ebay.com/itm/351926426861?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for any help

Bob

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Mouse racer on eBay
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 03:20:56 PM »
The wire you see goes to a metal plate on the side of the mounting pod. There is another metal plate on the other side that connects with the metal back of the tank. The connections to the battery are on the fingers of a glove. You just grab the mount pod and you're connected.

MM

Offline Bob Wiegand

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 04:56:39 PM »
Thanks Motor Man,

I had a feeling it was something like that.  So what would you do if the back plate is plastic, like on newer engine  models?

Also, I see the mounting plate looks like thick aluminum.  This is a well built mouse!  Odd to see it on eBay.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 05:43:07 PM »
I don't use that hot glove system. You can just rubber band a Cox glow plug clip to your thumb. I did that for a while until I developed my current system that complies with the anti hot glove rules.

MM

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 09:08:20 PM »
I don't use that hot glove system. You can just rubber band a Cox glow plug clip to your thumb. I did that for a while until I developed my current system that complies with the anti hot glove rules.

MM

Is that a Mouse I rule somewhere in your area, Walt? Could you show what you do? I'm always looking for a better way to skin the cat!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 05:04:55 AM by BillLee »
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Bob Wiegand

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 04:25:55 AM »
I am also interested in learning best practices.  I am too old to waste time re-inventing the wheel.

What system requires the least time in the pits? 

Also, in the Torque Roll for December there was mention of a tank vent.  Does this allow faster fueling, or just a fuller tank?  It seems like the diameter of the filler tube would play a part in that.

Great issue by the way.  A "Well done" to the writers and editors of the newsletter!

Thanks!
Bob

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 04:49:43 PM »
There is no AMA rule regarding "Hot Gloves" for Mouse 1, so it must be a local rule.

The spring loaded tank vent as shown in that article does allow faster filling, mostly due to the size of the filler tube, but more importantly, allows the tank to be a "Uniflow" system which definitely produces a steadier engine run.

I tried a uniflow system on my Mouse 1 entry for the first time at the Dallas contest, and it made a big difference in engine run quality. It also cut clean at the end of the tank, without the usual lean out or sag the last lap or so.

Les

Offline Bob Wiegand

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 08:23:53 AM »
Thanks Les! H^^

I had a feeling it was for faster fill, but didn't think about the uniflow aspect.  Good explanation.

Bob

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 08:33:21 AM »
People have made "thumb buttons" for 1/2A.  Both wires are connected to a device on your left thumb that contacts both the center terminal and the glow head.  That does away with all airborne gizmos.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Wiegand

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 01:33:15 PM »
I have to chuckle at how much things have changed over the last 30 years.  We used to just use the standard clips or even alligator clips.

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge.   H^^

Bob

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here