News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:43:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak 100 Mile race approved.  (Read 3791 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak 100 Mile race approved.
« on: February 03, 2016, 08:18:52 AM »
I have received notice that the 100-miler is on for 2016.  As before, we have enough circle time to accept six teams in two 3-up races.

Last year we were able to run only one 3-up race due to time lost to rain delays.  This year we hope to be able to fill and run two races.

As a one time good deal I donated the fuel last year. This year I will obtain a case Ritch's Brew 10-5-15 and sell it at cost. That fuel worked very well last year.

Defending champion Brad LaPoint will be recovering from surgery and will not pit or fly, but will serve as race director.

Last year the three scores were an hour and 30, 32, and 33 minutes.  This is great considering that the all-time record is an hour and 28.

Paul Smith

Offline Charles Barnes

• New Pilot
Re: Brodak 100 Mile race approved.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 01:18:03 PM »
How many teams have entered?

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 05:05:29 PM »
I dunno.  I haven't checked.  As last year, I will have a backup entry in hand to fill the race.

Unfortunately, the defending champion is recovering from both joint and heart surgery and will not be able to make the trip.

On the PLUS side, I was flying with him today and he's coming back strong.

In the rare chance that we get more than six entries I will "grandfather in" last year's top three.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 07:38:51 AM »
The Barnes family team of Charles and Chuck won  with an all-time record of one hour & 22 minutes. 
The best I can recall up to now was 1:28.

Defending champion Brad LaPointe is recovering from surgery and did not attend.  His pilot, Len Bourel flew for Doug Blackmore and put in a decent average time of around 1:44.

Last year's third place team of Whitney & Hallas (1:33) declared themselves DNIF for racing but flew combat.

I filled out the field with Charlie Johnson and did a personal worst of 1:53. 

The race was held during a swarm of cicadas. There were two near-crashes due to the pilots swatting the one-ounce insects.  I chopped up five of 'em while needling the engine.

This was the final running of this event.  The Barnes Team can retire undefeated. 

Paul Smith

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 09:48:22 AM »
Congrat's to the Barnes team of ground chuck (pit man) and upchuck (pilot)! However, I believe they didn't win last year, which means they were defeated.

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 09:56:54 AM »
1:22 , wow that's smoking ! Well done guys .

Brad

Offline Charles Barnes

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 05:04:33 PM »
Final running of the event?  ???

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 06:42:28 PM »
Yes.

Brad just wanted to demo it once, but then he won it.  We decided to go one more time to give everybody another chance.  We were told that this was the final Brodak.  Fortunately it's not.

The Barnes family team can retire the crown with the best time ever.  After a 1:22 there's nothing left to prove.

I plan to accommodate the sport flyer's request to have genuine stock engine fun speed event next year.  It will be an either/or deal with the current Fox 35 Speed.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here