News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:34:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: B/B glo driver  (Read 2244 times)

Offline bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
B/B glo driver
« on: July 20, 2021, 08:23:31 AM »
got my new Bill Bischoff glo driver from bill at the nats. fully charged ,it worked the whole week ,well worth the price RAD
rad racer

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: B/B glo driver
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 12:25:10 PM »
Thanks. Glad you like it. I just shipped another one today!   H^^

Online ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 05:30:54 PM »
Mine works great, Bill made it with extra long wiring.  Thanks Bill !!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 10:14:16 PM »
I don't need a driver that good, or one that lasts all week. I generally crash all my stuff on practice day.....

But for you guys whut can fly, it sounds like a good deal!

The Divot

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 07:25:31 AM »
  I liked the look of Bills unit and got one from him. I had him configure it a bit differently. I generally use a small wood box I made that holds a 12 volt sealed lead/acid battery with a typical power panel. The box holds some tools and such for use at the flight line. I can usually go all summer or at least a few months without having to charge the battery, and it gives me to ability to use a corded starter once in a while when needed. I have a battery powered started now that I like a lot, and will be making another small flight box that will again hold a few tools, spar  glow plug and such but this one will have a spot for Bill's glow driver to sit in. This new box will be a lot lighter and easier to carry and act as a spare. Some times at contests when flying multiple events it would be nice to have a spare starter box that I can leave at another circle, or if I go fly 1/2A stuff I can just take the smaller, lighter box.
   While checking out Bill's design over the winter and it's similarity to the Glow-Bee Fireplug, it gave me renewed interest in the two I had on the shelf that I thought were bad. It turns out that they just needed some attention in the right places one them and another forum member was looking for one for nostalgia reasons. I sent one of them his way and I got the other one working if I ever need to use it. It looks cool sitting on the shelf and by making some one else happy with the extra one, I now have an empty space on my shelf for something else!! That would be the old Eveready 1.5 volt ignition battery I got that is in really nice shape, and the fake one I built using art work off the internet. That really gets some attention when I take it out and use it when flying 1/2A stuff!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 09:08:24 PM »
Tell us about the fake one, Danno.

Izzit a hollowed out Eveready case with LiPos or something else in it?

The Divot

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 10:01:22 PM »
Tell us about the fake one, Danno.

Izzit a hollowed out Eveready case with LiPos or something else in it?

The Divot

Sorry to tale so long to reply. Yeah, you can make them out of cardboard mailing tubes. PVC pipe is very near the right size also. I'm sure there are explicit instructions on the net some where with sizes and such. The plastic plugs that come with the mailing tubes work out well. I can get authentic looking hardware at my local hardware store for the terminals. I have a file somewhere with the artwork on it. I print those off at Kinkos and apply it with spray adhesive. For power I use those 2 volt lead acid batteries like were used in the FirePlug. There is enough room inside that 3 or 4 C batteries in parallel could be used and they would last a long time between uses. If I make another one, I just may use the same hardware and batteries as Bill's glow driver and install the rheostat in the top. I would just eliminate the meter and through testing just put in some sort of stop at the proper settings. I have provided some one with a good scan of the smaller rectangle shaped batteries like what used to come with Cox starter sets. Lay out the copy on some chip board. Those are then folded up in the proper shape to form a box, and then add the terminals. I think 3 or 4 C cells in parallel would fit those also.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 02:11:51 AM »
That's something. A fake Eveready that actually is a battery....  I guess if you can build a sleeper truck, you can build a sleeper battery....

Just don't ask me to go for a Fox case with an electric motor shoved up inside it....

D

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here