News:

• April 24, 2024, 12:38:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ID model  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
ID model
« on: June 25, 2023, 03:11:31 PM »
Can anyone tell me what model this is? It's a hollow log that separates top from bottom, with a wing span of 30", the fuselage is 22"
Thanks Al

Online Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: ID model
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 09:23:52 PM »
That's a tough one, Al.  I assume it is an old B-Team Racer?

I don't see anything upright that closely matches the helmet cowl, the wing planform, etc.

Can you read the name of the side of the cockpit? That might be a clue.

Dave

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 09:58:37 PM »
that is a Berkley Key by Keith Storey. there was also a 1/2A called the Keydet.
  go to B team race reply #20 by Paul Smith there is a picture with a great group of characters .this plane is in it also in it is Keith Trostles scrambler, Burts Redskin and Wayne Trivins origanal plus others RAD
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 10:33:50 PM by bob whitney »
rad racer

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 07:18:10 AM »
  Thanks Bob, I found a photo of the kit box on the web. I have a Johnson 29 and a Dooling 29 that fit the motor mounts. I might do a full restoration if I get ambitious.
Al

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 07:20:58 AM »
Berkley "Key" Team Racer

Online Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2023, 12:51:18 PM »
Hah! The Key is the first one I should have checked....  Good job RAD!

I think I have one of the original kits in the stash somewhere. I remember my racing partner twisting my arm when one showed up for sale years ago.

Dave

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 05:16:16 PM »
Dave, you and Charlie are standing next to it in the photo Bob mentioned.
 So which of the engines has more snot? The Johnson 29R or the Dooling 29 the both have great compression.
Al

Online Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2023, 01:01:39 AM »
Hey Al,

The story keeps gettin' stranger....

Somebody musta done some more paint work on it?

Better paint=higher speed!

Dave

PS--I don't know Dooling about old Johnsons, or which one is faster. I'd go with whichever one restarted and didn't have fuel pouring out the front end. But that's just me. Goal 1). Be safe. Goal 2). Finish. Goal 3). Go fast. Goal 4). Win!

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2023, 12:43:42 PM »
The dooling 29 was never known for hot restarts but every once in a while you would get one with a really good ring or rings and it would restart ,the Johnson 29 was used by three or 4 teams in Calif with good results RAD
rad racer

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2023, 04:57:58 PM »
Didn't B team racers have to have a pilot head back in the day? Seems I remember something about that. Looks like this was built before all those prone position cockpit rules that seem to be in most events these days. Must be an early design. I hope you restore it, looks awesome.

MM

Online Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2023, 08:53:27 PM »
I believe that a pilot was required by rule, and had to have a clear view forward. This design was open cockpit, and the rules required a windscreen and a pilot. If you look at the original Key model by Keith Storey, it had both. It was documented in Air Trails magazine in March of 1949. This kit by Berkeley, also from 1949, was likely one of the first B-TR kit available? Maybe others here would know.

The Berkeley kit box featured a picture of the same plane as the magazine article. The First All Speed Team (FAST) rules were included on the plans.

Rule 4: "Must have cockpit or cabin in proportion to the dummy head."

Dave

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2023, 12:24:28 AM »
Keith Storey  designed both the Key and the Quest both kitted by Berkeley.the Quest was a better team racer
rad racer

Online Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2023, 10:44:33 PM »
Hmmm. I'm looking at an old blueprint of the "Good News" by Monarch. I think I like it better than the Key or the Quest--although it looks a lot like the Quest. Odd thing about the plan--it doesn't have a wing plan view....

Comparing the kit blueprint (it is actually blue with white lines) to the outline drawing in Gordon Rae's book highlights a bunch of discrepancies in the shapes of things. The fin/rudder, the elevators, the wheel pants, the spinner.....

Sometimes a different rendition of a plane/kit will look different, but it raises the question whether Gordon just redrew things more to his liking?  It doesn't really matter since we aren't talking scale here....

Dave

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2023, 07:09:51 PM »
Kit built Good News by a fellow Buzzin' Buzzard club member. Decent flyer. A bit light on the structural details.

The Rambler is a good, solid honest racer.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Online Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2023, 05:32:28 PM »
Bob,

The Rambler B-TR has one very serious drawback: while it is a nice compact design with supposedly good flying manners, the name conjures up my next door neighbor's station wagon from the 1960's. I just can't "unsee" that....

The Divot

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2023, 06:01:02 PM »
Bob,

The Rambler B-TR has one very serious drawback: while it is a nice compact design with supposedly good flying manners, the name conjures up my next door neighbor's station wagon from the 1960's. I just can't "unsee" that....

The Divot

"Sleeper..."

It flies as near to perfect as any racer I've ever piloted...
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2023, 09:39:22 PM »
Bob,

The Divot

What! You were never a "Ramblin' man"?

Les

Online Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2023, 12:06:46 AM »
One of my least cherished memories was pushing a "squarebox" rambler--probably a 1962 2-door DeLuxe, in baby blue--way farther than I thought I could to get it out of traffic at one of the busiest intersections in the city. Then I dumped a facefull of gas on me when the #$%^& bail on the fuel sediment bowl wouldn't budge--and then did. All to fix my best buddies girlfriend's car since he wasn't into fixing cars. Do I hold a grudge against Ramblers? Maybe I (still) do....?

As far as B-TR's, I need to get the Veco done, and then maybe the Firecracker....

The Divot

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2023, 06:07:00 AM »
Maybe someday we will get a chance to race these vintage type crates. Before we can't.  TS
PS   Pop had a 1960 American 2 dr. wagon. 3 on tree. flathead  6?  It was round. Very round.  Had some of my first driving experiences in that one!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here