News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:17:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Action Hobbies "Red Skin" B-Team Racer  (Read 2342 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Action Hobbies "Red Skin" B-Team Racer
« on: October 19, 2007, 09:56:43 AM »
I have finally gotten started on a B-Team Racer.  I think I will be using a Fox 25 in it.  What I need is a canopy, actually 4 canopies for the Red Skin.  Also need pilots to put in the ####### area.  Where do I get them??  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bob Riegl

• Ensign
Re: Action Hobbies "Red Skin" B-Team Racer
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 11:17:53 AM »
 D>K John the Red Skin---is this a plane that is still in production or a set of plans. I have been compiling B T/R designs from here and abroad and this one escapes me?????? 8)
FLY
C

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 06:00:19 AM »
The Redskin was originally a Veco kit.
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 08:38:17 PM »
Yes Action Hobbies is making short kits of the Veco Redskin.  The full size plans I have are from Bill Schmidt(hope that's spelled right).  I also have the Richards Kit of the Redskin I talked a Tulsa Gluedobber out of for a price.  I pointed out to him that not enough wing area for stunt.  I have the wing framed up with bellcrank and leadouts in.  The fuselage is being assembled with the new Fox 25 UC engine.  Do have a Fox 29 that will go in one in time as well as several engine I got from Vic Garner.  More later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 01:38:59 PM »
Doc,
You might try the new William's Bros for the vintage pilot heads. The company is back in business and selling the perfect thing for B-TR. I was always a klutz at gluing plastic and painting. To my surprise, I had so much fun making the first one, I made two more for future race planes! They came out far better than I expected.

This year at the Tucson Cabin Fever races, a classic Redskin placed in the top three against some very tough competition. The best in the US, as far as we know. Of course, the plane looks so good, I'd build one just to fun fly it....

The Redskin short kit I recently bought from Darrell Albert had a canopy with it. He might know where to get more.

Dave "McSlow" Hull
So Cal Air Racers

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 09:15:13 PM »
Hi Doc,

I agree with Dave about the Williams Brothers pilots, and I am sure you have used them before.  I am glad they are back in business!

I use the "Apple Barrel" (or something like that) acrylic paints from the crafts section to finish them.  Just be double sure to epoxy them in the cockpit!  For some strange reason, a pilot will always want to come "unglued"! LOL!!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 07:36:05 PM »
No question about why they come loose.  They dive for the cellar when subjected to some of the racing manuevers!  LL~
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 11:53:05 PM »
Sig 4 or 6 inch canopies are the same size and shape as the Berkeley canopies of old. The 6 inch will probably do it, just cut off the back.
Chris...

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 07:19:12 PM »
the pilot may try to escape -- but none have so far.  LOL & BWEG

Tom Wilk LL~ LL~

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 12:52:27 AM »

How about the Indian from the Mc Donalds - Pocohontas  Thingos .

Sometimes you get a bag of them from an Op Shop for a buck or two .

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 07:01:15 PM »
Would the GMS .25 engine sold by Tower Hobbies be competative as a B TR engine? The advertisement says it is true ABC / BB.  Price is right at $55.
How would it compare to proposed Fox .25  or B .25  or MVVS .28?
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 09:21:03 PM »
Hi Lyle

I use the GMS .25 in my B Tr. It is an excellent engine that is well made for the price. The only pet peeve I have is with the weight, it's a bit of a bulky engine for a .25.

I run the engine stock, with a homemade .210" ID "sprinkler" style venturi. On standard 10% racing fuel, I can achieve airspeeds between 16.3~16.5 for 7 laps on solo timed runs with an APC 7x7 sport prop. I usually get 42 laps range. I sometimes use a "range brew" which runs the same airspeed, but gives 10-12 more laps.

It is not as fast as the Webra .28 that seems popular right now, but also doesn't have the extra "cubes" either.

I recently ran the B tr at a contest in So-Cal and the restarts were fabulous.

This engine is an excellent choice.

Les

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 08:56:31 PM »
For a pilot, I found a Tony Stewart/Home Depot Pez Dispenser at a drug store. It's a full face helmet, so you don't really need to make anything fancy to complete it. It's flamed, and we know flames are VERY kewl, and very FAST!  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 06:21:28 PM »
Yes Action Hobbies is making short kits of the Veco Redskin.  The full size plans I have are from Bill Schmidt(hope that's spelled right).  I also have the Richards Kit of the Redskin I talked a Tulsa Gluedobber out of for a price.  I pointed out to him that not enough wing area for stunt.  I have the wing framed up with bellcrank and leadouts in.  The fuselage is being assembled with the new Fox 25 UC engine.  Do have a Fox 29 that will go in one in time as well as several engine I got from Vic Garner.  More later,  DOC Holliday

Bill Shmitt plans? Not found in Stunt Hangar search. Doc. are the Bill Shmitt plans the same as the Larry Richards Redskin plans? If NOT, how do I contact Bill Shmitt? Thanks...
Mike in Atwater...

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 04:06:37 PM »
Bill Schmidt-- 4647 Krueger,  Bel Aire,  KS  67220    no computer  Pho # (316)744-0378

cheers,
Ken

BTW both the plans and the short kit are a very good value for the money
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 11:44:58 AM »
<<Bill Schmidt-- 4647 Krueger,  Bel Aire,  KS  67220    no computer  Pho # (316)744-0378

<<cheers,
<<Ken

<<BTW both the plans and the short kit are a very good value for the money

Thanks, Ken!
     Got hold of both gents, Redskin Short kit is on its way. I have a Richards Kit, but am saving it for the 'next build'...This one will get my Super Tigre .29 RR I got from pal Frank Hunt. Hope I can train fast to keep up with it!
   I have some other Team Racers I'm building.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here