News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:52:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Fox.15 with factory hop-up parts from the 60's?  (Read 2257 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
A Fox.15 with factory hop-up parts from the 60's?
« on: June 12, 2012, 04:32:43 PM »
    Hi:

Are there any people out there who can tell me about the Fox .15 PB baffle engine that Duke made parts for that made this engine really fast.

Duke sold cranks, pistons, rods, sleeves etc. that would turn this engine into a very fast and light powerhouse.  I remember that the rpm figures were very good for an engine that was sold in the early 60's or perhaps the late 50's.

The old Fox .15 baffle engine always impressed me with how well it flew.15 size planes.  It was very easy to use and with a 7x6 or an 8x4 prop it provided a lot of flight time with very little expense.  My favourite combo was this engine on a Shark .15 flown on .012x52' lines.

Anybody have any experience with the hop up parts for this engine?

Stay well,

Franchi

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: A Fox.15 with factory hop-up parts from the 60's?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 05:11:37 PM »
For the slant plug Fox .15 there was four versions.  The .15, .15X, .15XX, and the most rare of all the .15XXX.  There are very few known examples remaining of the XXX.  The XXX was a vry hot engine for what it was.

People degrade the slant plug Fox .15 but I had a lot of fun in the mid '60s with a .15X in planes like the Ringmaster Jr., Circus Prince, Berkeley Daze, etc..

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 08:07:32 AM »
I remember the Fox .15.  Most in this area were not to be bragged about.   They were hard starting and temperamental.  If you got one that was easy starting you were in seventh heaven.  I kept telling people that their Fox .15 just needed more break in time, but who would listen.   The one I had took forever to break in, but once it was broken in it would start great and run great.  Used it in a Junior Nobler. H^^

PS:Never heard about a hop up kit for the ewarly Fox .15.jeh
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 08:12:44 AM »
I wanted to emphasize that I was referring to the "slant plug" .15X and not the "Rocket .15".  The .15X had a number of factory parts for "hop up".  Wish I could find one of the .15XXX just for poops and giggles.  G-Man knows of one but cannot get it! LOL!!  (maybe Bill Morbacher knows more about the "XXX".......... ???

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 08:19:12 PM »
There were only a very limited numbeers of the 15XXX version made and they were for the combat team for the worlds in the 80's. The XX was a little more common and Imight have one as it has nicely anodized red parts  I heard that the xxxs' were not real durable but they lasted long enough for the victory for the US team. I don't follow combat so I do not know the details.

Dennis

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 09:08:49 PM »
According to Jim Dunkin's excellent reference book on .15 engines, compared to a standard 15X, the XX had a lighter piston, higher compression, and a better quality crankshaft bushing. If a 15XX was found to have unusually high performance, it was given "XXX" status. These were not sold to the public, but given to friends and "influential" modelers.

The 15 combat specials for the 1982 World Championships were totally different engines.

Offline GregArdill

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 04:04:23 AM »
When I bought my 15X in 1963, it quickly wore out the Piston & cylinder.

I ordered XX replacement parts.

Piston & Cylinder & Conrod.

The Piston was lightened and the baffle was reduced in height. The Rod possibly of a higher grade of aluminium, was anodised red.

Here's a little of the instruction sheet that shows the XX parts.

Offline Tom_Fluker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 06:27:31 AM »
I didn't know that the '82 engine had a special designation other than just calling it a big shaft 15.

It (and it's predecessor) didn't have slant plugs.  Didn't think they were part of the series referenced here, but could be off on that.

Tom

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 04:20:15 PM »
Was reading somewhere that some XXs were unearthed at the site of a previous 'Fox 15 toss'.

Now, where was that?...

Offline GregArdill

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 11:20:21 PM »
Was reading somewhere that some XXs were unearthed at the site of a previous 'Fox 15 toss'.

Now, where was that?...

I wouldn't be surprised Mike, there are a whole lot of better motors than the Fox 15 be it X 0r XX.

I could name brands, but I too, like the little Foxes, I just like others better.  ::)

Greg

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 03:51:13 PM »
I have a 15X that has many hours of running in a Jr. Ringmaster and a Shark 15. That was back in the 60's. It is still in good shape with tight bearings and is going into a Perky if I ever get it done. They do start and run well after broken in. I also acquired a steel fin 15, but I have not run it.
Jim Kraft

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 05:40:11 PM »
...all kidding aside, I do have an old .15X, garage sale find. It's going into my Perky or Phantom.

Actually, it's really wonderful how we have such a wide variety of choices for our many different airplanes.

Ever ponder that? Thru WWll, Korea, and so many 'conflicts' that interrupted mfg., still we have 'hobby' model equipment made in sophisticated environments.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 06:01:41 PM »
Slightly off topic but not really................. ;D

Anyone have a .15XX they would like to sell or trade?  Appearance not important as long as it is a good runner.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here