News:

• April 18, 2024, 12:38:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tutor II + Tigre 51 = Impressive package.  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Tutor II + Tigre 51 = Impressive package.
« on: April 09, 2006, 12:53:49 AM »
I was going to just post a short "this combo rocks" message, but figured I'd spill all the beans here instead.

When I first saw the Tutor II on the website I wasn't too impressed.  What hooked me was the size.  We had a G51 over 10 years ago now that was very nice.  It met a tragic end and when I tried to order a replacement I found them on backorder.  That was back in about 1994.  When they came available again I ordered a couple of them and have never gotten planes finished for them.  With the introduction of the Tutor II I figured here's a fast way to get a nice engine back in the air.  I put in my order along with some other odds and ends and three days later had a UPS guy with a HUGE box on the front porch.

The contents of the box were typical TF ARF, just like the Nobler(s).   The parts/pieces weren't very heavy, construction was typical.  The Monokote substitute is kind of weird, has a visible printed matrix, not entirely opaque.  Also the fuselage was rather odd, the front end didn't look too solid.  I gave it some thought and I wasn't comfortable with putting a $130 Italian made Tigre 51 on the front.  I didn't trust the motor mounts, etc.  So I went back online and ordered one of the Chinese Italian Tigre 51's.  I figure at $79 how bad can it be? Also I was curious to compare the Chinese to the Italian version. 

The plane went together extremely quickly.  Probably 4-6 hours like the box said.  I removed the control system completely.  I reused the kit bellcrank and bushed the leadouts with brass tubing and wrapped them with copper wire (typical).  I used real 3/32 music wire for the bellcrank-flap pushrod, carbon fibre for the flap-elevator pushrod, and balljoints at every link.  I also tossed the kit horns since the first time I tightened the balljoint the horn split.  I ended up using two Dubro horns back to back at the flap, and a short Sig horn at the elevator.  I ended up discarding the entire kit hardware package, spinner, tank, etc.  I did use the landing gear and wheels but didn't like the tailwheel hold down.  I bent a new one from brass shim stock.  All the pieces got glued together with epoxy, and fillets were applied with white bathtub caulk.  I used the kit decals and some excess PAMPA decals from my junk bin.  I mounted the engine with a Sig profile engine mounting plate.  A vintage Super Tigre decal and a CB Associates 2" spinner gave it the finishing touch.

More on the plane later, on to the engine.  Out of the box the first thing I noticed about the engine were a few small changes from the other ST 51's we own.  Nothing major, just the holes drilled completely through the case for the muffler mounts, and socket head cap screws.  The only difference in quality that I noticed was the finish on the venturi.  The older Tigres have almost a mirror finish, as where the new Chinese version was rough finished, dull. 
Compression was iffy, but being a ringed engine that's to be expected.

Today we got to put a couple flights on the finished product.  The engine with no previous break in fired and ran on about the third flip.  Set to a moderate 4-cycle it had plenty of power.  Almost a perfect match for the plane.  As for the plane itself it looks really good in the air.  The size and graphics really make it stand out.  The longer/heavier lines and the Tigre not even breaking a sweat made for a very enjoyable flight.  More then enough power. 

I did have one problem, the home-fabricated fuel tank had a bit of flux inside that ended up clogging my fuel filter. 

Overall I'm very impressed with this package.  For the price and time invested I'd say its impossible to beat.  Everything I've seen mentioned about the Tutor has been linked with the OS LA's.  It's no secret I'm not a fan of the LA's, but with the combo offering the ST 51 with the Tutor II for $5 off I don't know why the combo isn't more popular.  The Tigre offers greater displacement, more power, and a more stunt friendly personality.  The ST 51 was a bargain at $130, its a total steal at $79.99.  The plane flies very nice, predictable, stable, etc.  It would be difficult to build one any better from scratch. 

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Tutor II + Tigre 51 = Impressive package.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 02:46:59 AM »
Hi Andrew,

Glad to hear it about the Tutor II and ST G51.  That engine is the only one I would consider in that plane.

IMHO, the ST G51 is the most under-rated engine in stunt!   The ST 46 and 60 are stunt engine icons.  The G51 is in the same class.  Why it's overlooked (it can be had for the same price or cheaper than a 46LA) is beyond me!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 05:12:25 PM »
IMHO, the ST G51 is the most under-rated engine in stunt!   The ST 46 and 60 are stunt engine icons.  The G51 is in the same class.  Why it's overlooked (it can be had for the same price or cheaper than a 46LA) is beyond me!

Exactly what I have been thinking for a long time now.  I've run a bunch of different popular stunt engines, and few of them live up to the hype.  The ST 51 doesn't get any hype and it runs better than any other 'stunt' engine I know of.  Reading your reply took the words right out of my mouth. 

Here's the picture, I tried to upload it when I posted the thread, but the forum was having an issue with it...

Offline Mike Clark

• Lets get together and burn some fuel!
  • ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 07:34:36 PM »
Andrew,

What size prop are you using?
How much prop clearence do you have?

Mike Clark
Mike Clark

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 07:56:08 PM »
Rev-Up 12-5... Bunches of ground clearance.  Yesterday was flying off a recently flooded football field, very rough with scattered driftwood.  Today was flying off a semi-flat area that parks/rec seeded last spring, lots of tufts of grass, but not remotely smooth.  Both surfaces agreed with the plane, large wheels, lots of power, etc made take-offs from the grass a snap, and landings were very forgiving also. 

I put a complete pattern on it today, the wind was gusting pretty bad but it did all the maneuvers.  This was on the 4th or 5th flight.  I can't wait till the engine is broke in and I'm comfortable with the plane. 

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 12:36:43 PM »
Louis Rankin had this combo at Tearkana.  Kinda like heraing a Rolls Royice Merlin, powerful, smooth, not too loud, but there.  Never a burp.  condidering it was his first time in Advanced and he got 4th with a modified ARF Tutor 2, not bad at all.
So as a witness to this combo and mine is still in primer, I'd suggest anyone to try it.   y1

The ST G-51 is a GREAT stunt engine, and inexpensive!  I wouldn't hesitate to use it anytime, especially in those ST 46 planes and even some of the ST 60 ones!

I almost got to expert with a ST G-51 in a SV 11 before Aaron got married and we quit flying.  Haven't caught up since.  :'(
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 01:00:51 PM »
Yes, this is a great combo.  You know a motor always sounds different outside the circle than inside the circle.  I ask Dee Rice how my motor sounded in flight.  Richard Oliver was flying his ARF with a ROJett 61, Dee said "Hear that ROJett 61"?  I said yes, it sounds great.  He said "Your motor sounds as good or better than that".  Not bad for a motor that I bought off of Tower Hobbies Scratch and Dent for $50.00.

My advise: Buy a ST 51, you will not be disappointed.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Jack Duffie

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 08:09:33 PM »
 SH^I have had two tutor II WITH THE 51 TIGER AND CRASHED BOTH BECAUSE OF BELLCRACK AND PUSH PULL RODS. BE SURE TO CHANGE BOTH AND YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS. i LOVE THE WAY THIS PLANE FLYS IF YOU CAN KEEP THE FLIGHT CONTROL SYS. TOGETHER.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here